Magnetic field behind “invisible barrier”

In summary: In particular, ##\mu_v=0## inside a perfect diamagnet creates a force between particles which makes it a material with a very low permeability.
Tilde90
Let us consider the following thought experiment.
There is a magnetic field in free space produced by a steady current, hence solution of the (magnetostatic) Ampere's law Curl H = J.
There is also a material with some parameters ε and μ and no currents, where the Ampere's law is Curl H = 0.

Considering the usual interface conditions on the boundary between the auxiliary material and the free space, inside the material I expect to see a magnetic field generated by the change in permeability μ.
On the other hand, if the material had the same parameters of the free space, ε0 and μ0, I expect to see no field inside: it is as if there were an invisible barrier which shields a region of the free space from the outside.

Is my reasoning correct?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Tilde90 said:
On the other hand, if the material had the same parameters of the free space, ε0 and μ0, I expect to see no field inside
You should expect a field in it - the same field the vacuum there would have without the material. That is given by the continuum conditions but it is also very intuitive I think.

Thanks for your answer, mfb.

Are you sure about what you say? The fact is that the right-hand side of the Ampere's law is different between the free space and the auxiliary material, and it is equal to zero in the latter. So the only source of the magnetic field in the material would be the magnetization induced by the change in permeability, which does not exist in this thought experiment.

Running some numerical simulations you see that the field in the material is nonzero when the relative permeability is different from 1, and becomes 0 otherwise (with the field outside also going to zero on the surface to match the boundary conditions).

The curl of the magnetic field is zero in your material. The magnetic field itself does not have to be zero.
That is exactly what you get in vacuum as well.

If you don't have any source of magnetic fields in the whole universe, there won't be a field in your material, but you were asking about a "barrier", so I assume there is a field somewhere.

A perfect diamagnet will keep all magnetic fields outside its material, but a perfect diamagnet (##\mu_v=0##) has properties different from a vacuum.

1. What causes the magnetic field behind an "invisible barrier"?

The magnetic field behind an "invisible barrier" is caused by the movement of charged particles, such as electrons, through a conductor. This movement creates a flow of electricity, known as an electric current, which in turn generates a magnetic field.

2. How does the "invisible barrier" affect the magnetic field?

The "invisible barrier" acts as a shield, preventing the magnetic field from extending beyond a certain point. This can be caused by materials with high magnetic permeability, such as iron, which can redirect and concentrate the magnetic field.

3. Can the strength of the magnetic field behind an "invisible barrier" be measured?

Yes, the strength of the magnetic field can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. This instrument detects and measures the intensity and direction of magnetic fields, allowing scientists to study the effects of the "invisible barrier" on the magnetic field.

4. Are there any real-life applications of the "invisible barrier" and its effect on magnetic fields?

Yes, the concept of the "invisible barrier" is used in various technologies, such as magnetic shielding in electronic devices. It is also important in industries such as healthcare, where it is used to protect sensitive equipment from external magnetic fields.

5. Is there ongoing research on the "invisible barrier" and its effects on magnetic fields?

Yes, there is ongoing research on the "invisible barrier" and its impact on magnetic fields. Scientists are studying the behavior of magnetic fields in different materials and environments, and how the "invisible barrier" can be manipulated for various applications.