Magnetic Field due to a Point Charge

In summary: Magnetism is a result of the interaction between electric and magnetic fields. Electric fields cause charges to move, while the magnetic fields create a force that tries to keep them from moving.
Electric to be
Hi. I'm currently learning about magnetism, however the course I'm in doesn't combine special relativity with E&M so I just wanted to do some personal exploring.

The magnetic field for a point charge is proportional to V1 x R of the charge. Then, the magnetic force is proportional to V2 x B where V2 is the velocity of some test charge. This makes sense to me because length contraction only occurs along the direction of motion. So, as a result if V of a test charge is parallel to B, that means it is perpendicular to V of the charge creating magnetic field and should experience no magnetic force.But, my main question is for the case when V x R = 0 because R is parallel to V. If some test charge is moving parallel to the field creating charge, then in it's frame the distance between the two charges should increase, and this "difference" in electric forces seen becomes the magnetic force in the frame where both are moving.

So how is the magnetic field, and therefore force 0 just because a charge is on the same line that the field creating charge is moving on? Shouldn't length contraction/dilation work just the same, and therefore create a discrepancy in the electric forces, which becomes the magnetic force?Sorry if this isn't clear enough, I can elaborate more if needed.

Physics news on Phys.org
This question focuses on the fact that the sum of EM forces should be the same in all reference frames. Is this a true assumption to begin with? Is force invariant?

In fact, the R x V makes even less sense to me now. For example, say the angle between the magnetic field creating charge and the distance was 90 degrees. Say also the charge the magnetic field was acting on had a velocity parallel to the the magnetic field creating charge.

This means that there would be no length contraction, since the distance along their axis of travel is already zero. Yet, at this position the magnetic force is the strongest??

Electric to be said:
This question focuses on the fact that the sum of EM forces should be the same in all reference frames. Is this a true assumption to begin with? Is force invariant?
No, force is not invariant. Just like momentum, it becomes part of a 4-vector and is not invariant by itself.

Orodruin said:
No, force is not invariant. Just like momentum, it becomes part of a 4-vector and is not invariant by itself.

Yep got it. In either case, could you explain why there is no magnetic field made along the line of movement of a charge? A different moving charge would see a length contraction/expansion in this frame, and I feel that this could lead to contradictions. (For example if there is a neutral situation in one frame and no magnetic field) and then a non neutral and still no magnetic field since it is along the line in a different frame?

Electric to be said:
could you explain why there is no magnetic field made along the line of movement of a charge?

The magnetic field is the cross product between the current and the separation. Both of these are in the same direction in the case you describe and therefore the cross product is zero.

You should not be thinking of "length contraction" when it comes to the EM field, it is a rank-2 tensor field and arguing in terms of length contraction is not going to help you in general.

Orodruin said:
The magnetic field is the cross product between the current and the separation. Both of these are in the same direction in the case you describe and therefore the cross product is zero.

You should not be thinking of "length contraction" when it comes to the EM field, it is a rank-2 tensor field and arguing in terms of length contraction is not going to help you in general.

Well there was a different example that helped me that used length contraction. It at least explained to me why V x B is in the direction that it is. That used a length contraction explanation. (toward the bottom)http://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...or-why-lorentz-force-is-perpendicular-to-a-pa
Could something similar be applied to explain the this situation as well?

Related to Magnetic Field due to a Point Charge

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges, such as an electric current or a point charge.

2. How is a magnetic field due to a point charge calculated?

A magnetic field due to a point charge is calculated using the equation B = μ0*q*v*sinθ / 4π*r^2, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, q is the charge of the point charge, v is the velocity of the charge, θ is the angle between the velocity and the line connecting the charge to the point in space where the magnetic field is being measured, and r is the distance between the charge and the point in space.

3. How does the direction of the magnetic field due to a point charge depend on the charge's velocity?

The direction of the magnetic field due to a point charge is always perpendicular to the direction of the charge's velocity. This means that if the charge is moving in a straight line, the magnetic field will form circles around the charge.

4. What is the relationship between the strength of the magnetic field and the distance from the point charge?

The strength of the magnetic field due to a point charge decreases as the distance from the charge increases. This is because the magnetic field follows an inverse square law, meaning that it decreases by a factor of 1/r^2 as the distance r increases.

5. How does the magnetic field due to a point charge differ from an electric field?

The main difference between a magnetic field due to a point charge and an electric field is that the magnetic field only affects moving charges, while the electric field affects both moving and stationary charges. Additionally, the magnetic field is always perpendicular to the direction of the charge's motion, while the electric field can point in any direction relative to the charge's motion.