Magnetic field from a square loop

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the magnetic field at point P along the axis of a square wire with edge length L when a current I is passing through it. By using the equation ##d\vec{B}=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\frac{I\vec{ds}\sin\theta}{r^2}## and considering the symmetry of the problem, it is determined that the angle between ##d\vec{B}## and the x-axis is equal to ##\phi##. This helps with finding the final solution for the magnetic field at point P.
Potatochip911

Homework Statement

A wire is formed into the shape of a square of edge length L. Show that when the current in
the loop is I, the magnetic field at point P a distance x from the center of the square along its axis is $$B=\frac{\mu_0 IL^2}{2\pi(x^2+L^2/4)\sqrt{x^2+L^2/2}}$$
Capture2.png

Homework Equations

##d\vec{B}=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\frac{I\vec{ds}\times\hat{r}}{r^2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Capture2.png
[/B]
##d\vec{B}=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\frac{I\vec{ds}\sin\theta}{r^2}## where ##\theta## is the angle between ##\hat{r}## and ##\vec{ds}## therefore ##\sin\theta=\sqrt{\frac{x^2+L^2/4}{z^2+x^2+L^2/4}}##
From the symmetry of the problem it's clear that only the components parallel to ##x## will be leftover which seem to be given by ##\sin\phi## but in the solution they are given by ##\cos\phi## which doesn't make any sense to me.

Attachments

• Capture2.png
    Capture2.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 482
Physics news on Phys.org
What angle does ##d\vec{B}## make to the x axis?

Likes Potatochip911
TSny said:
What angle does ##d\vec{B}## make to the x axis?
Okay I got the angle it makes with the x-axis from the most basic case where ##x=0##

On one side of the x-axis all angles must add up to ##\pi## therefore (where x is the angle between ##d\vec{B}## and the x axis):
$$
\pi=(\pi/2-\phi)+\pi/2+x\Longrightarrow x=\phi
$$

Thanks it makes sense now!

Potatochip911 said:
On one side of the x-axis all angles must add up to ##\pi## therefore (where x is the angle between ##d\vec{B}## and the x axis):
$$
\pi=(\pi/2-\phi)+\pi/2+x\Longrightarrow x=\phi
$$

Yes. Nice.

Likes Potatochip911

Related to Magnetic field from a square loop

1. What is a magnetic field from a square loop?

A magnetic field from a square loop is a type of magnetic field that is generated by a square-shaped loop of electric current. It is characterized by its direction, magnitude, and shape.

2. How is the magnetic field from a square loop calculated?

The magnetic field from a square loop can be calculated using the formula B = μI/2r, where B is the magnetic field, μ is the permeability of the material, I is the current flowing through the loop, and r is the distance from the center of the loop to the point where the magnetic field is being measured.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field from a square loop?

The strength of the magnetic field from a square loop is affected by the current flowing through the loop, the size of the loop, the distance from the loop, and the permeability of the surrounding material.

4. How does the direction of the current affect the direction of the magnetic field from a square loop?

The direction of the current flowing through the loop determines the direction of the magnetic field. The magnetic field will be clockwise if the current is flowing in a clockwise direction and counterclockwise if the current is flowing in a counterclockwise direction.

5. What are some applications of the magnetic field from a square loop?

The magnetic field from a square loop has many practical applications, including in electromagnets, electric motors, and generators. It is also used in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines and particle accelerators.