Magnetic Field from Current Segments

In summary, the magnetic field at the point P located at x=y=0,z=z1 is found using the Biot-Savart law and the cross product.
theshonen8899

Homework Statement

Find Bz(0,0,z1), the z component of the magnetic field at the point P located at x=y=0,z=z1 from the current I flowing over a short distance dl = |dl|*j located at the point rc = x1*i.

19590_e.jpg

Homework Equations

Biot-Savart law:
(μo/4∏)*[I*(dL x r)/(|r|^2)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I concluded that the radius would be √(( x1 )2 + (z1 )2) and submitted:

(μo/4∏)*[I*dL/√(( x1 )2 + (z1 )2)]

which was wrong. Then I remember that the equation called for r^2 not r, so I submitted:

(μo/4∏)*[I*dL/(( x1 )2 + (z1 )2)]

which was also wrong. I thought that the cross product would be even but just in case I tried:

(μo/4∏)*[I*-dL/(( x1 )2 + (z1 )2)]

which was still wrong.

Am I getting the radius wrong? I'm not quite sure what's going on.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by writing out the vectors involved. Your radius magnitude squared is okay as ##x_1^2 + z_1^2##, but you'll need the radius vector and dL vector components to perform the cross product. Do the cross product!

Likes 1 person
So the cross product I want is [itex]\vec{dl}[/itex] x [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] and the homework tells me that [itex]\vec{dl}[/itex] x [itex]\vec{r_{x}}[/itex] = [itex] dlx_{1}\hat{k}[/itex]. Shouldn't [itex]\vec{dl}[/itex] x [itex]\vec{r_{x}}[/itex] be negative since [itex]\hat{j} \times \hat{i} = -\hat{k}[/itex]?

So assuming [itex]\vec{dl}[/itex] x [itex]\vec{r_{x}}[/itex] = [itex] dlx_{1}\hat{k}[/itex], we know [itex]\hat{r} = \frac{\vec{r}}{r}[/itex]. Then would the answer be (μo/4∏)*[(I*dL)/(√(( x1 )2 + (z1 )2)^3)] since there's now an extra r on the bottom?

Last edited:
theshonen8899 said:
So the cross product I want is [itex]\vec{dl}[/itex] x [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] and the homework tells me that [itex]\vec{dl}[/itex] x [itex]\vec{r_{x}}[/itex] = [itex] dlx_{1}\hat{k}[/itex]. Shouldn't [itex]\vec{dl}[/itex] x [itex]\vec{r_{x}}[/itex] be negative since [itex]\hat{j} \times \hat{i} = -\hat{k}[/itex]?

So assuming [itex]\vec{dl}[/itex] x [itex]\vec{r_{x}}[/itex] = [itex] dlx_{1}\hat{k}[/itex], we know [itex]\hat{r} = \frac{\vec{r}}{r}[/itex]. Then would the answer be (μo/4∏)*[(I*dL)/(√(( x1 )2 + (z1 )2)^3)] since there's now an extra r on the bottom?

There shouldn't be an "extra" r on the bottom. You've extracted the z-component of the cross product but then ignored it? The z-component of the cross product contains an x1, so why does it disappear when you write the result? And I'm not sure why you've introduced a unit vector in the r direction; they're asking for the z-component only, not the whole vector (and it wouldn't be in the same direction as the r vector anyways).

So the z-component of the cross product, as you've found, is ##dl x_1## . The square of the magnitude of r is ##x_1^2 + z_1^2##. That, along with the current magnitude and constants of the Biot-Savart law should be sufficient to write the result.

Likes 1 person
I forgot to mention that I tried (μo/4∏)*[(I*dL*x1)/(( x1 )2 + (z1 )2)] which wasn't correct.

From what I understand the Biot-Savart law is (μo/4∏)*[I*(dL x r hat)/(|r|^2)]. Am I not suppose to be finding the cross product dl x r hat?

Sorry I'm having so much trouble understanding and visualizing this. Thank you for your patience.

Okay, I think I owe you an apology there. The cross product does indeed involve the unit vector in the direction of r. That puts another ##\sqrt{x_1^2 + z_1^2}## in the denominator along with the ##x_1^2 + z_1^2## that's already there. That yields ##(x_1^2 + z_1^2)^{3/2}## net. With that and the ##x_1## in the numerator I think you'll be alright.

Likes 1 person
Not at all, you helped me get the correct answer and more importantly I get it now. Thanks so much!

Related to Magnetic Field from Current Segments

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces are present. It is created by moving electric charges, such as those found in electric current.

2. How is a magnetic field created by current segments?

When electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. This is because the moving electric charges in the current create a circular magnetic field around the wire.

3. How is the strength of a magnetic field from current segments determined?

The strength of a magnetic field from current segments depends on the distance from the wire and the amount of current flowing through the wire. As the distance from the wire increases, the strength of the magnetic field decreases. Similarly, as the amount of current increases, the strength of the magnetic field also increases.

4. What is the direction of a magnetic field from current segments?

The direction of a magnetic field from current segments is determined by the direction of the current. The magnetic field follows the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the current and the fingers curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

5. How can the magnetic field from current segments be used in practical applications?

The magnetic field from current segments is used in many practical applications, such as electric motors, generators, and MRI machines. It is also used in compasses to determine direction and in speakers to produce sound.