Magnetic Field in Spherical Coordinate

In summary, the magnetic field due to a dipole at the origin pointing in the z direction is given by: ##B_{dip} (r) = \frac{\mu_0 m}{4 \pi r^3} (-sin \theta - cos \theta)##.
roam

Homework Statement

I am trying to use the equation ##B_{dip} (r) = \nabla \times A## to find the magnetic field due to a dipole at the origin pointing in the z direction (where A is the magnetic vector potential).

The correct answer should be:

##B_{dip} (r) = \frac{\mu_0 m}{4 \pi r^3} \ (2 cos \theta \ \hat{r} + sin \theta \ \hat{\theta})##​

But I'm unable to get this expression. I can't see how they got the part in the bracket. :confused:

Homework Equations

In spherical coordinates:

##A_{dip} (r) = \frac{\mu_0}{4 \pi} \frac{m sin \theta}{r^2} \hat{\phi}## ... (1)

Curl:

curl.jpg
... (2)

The Attempt at a Solution

So we only need to use the ##\hat{\phi}## term from the curl equation. Substituting (1) into (2), we obtain:

##\nabla \times A= \frac{1}{r}\left( \left( \frac{\partial}{\partial r} \left( \frac{r \mu_0 m \ sin \theta}{4 \pi r^2} \right) \right) - \left( \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta} \left( \frac{\mu_0 m \ sin \theta}{4 \pi r^2} \right) \right) \right)##​

##=\frac{1}{r} (- \frac{\mu_0 m \ sin \theta}{\pi r^2} - \frac{\mu_0 m}{4 \pi r^2} cos \theta)##​

##\therefore \ B_{dip} (r) = \frac{\mu_0 m}{4 \pi r^3} (-sin \theta - cos \theta)##​

So how did they get from "-sinθ - cosθ" to "2 cosθ + sinθ"? Have I made a mistake somewhere? :confused:

Any explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
roam said:
So we only need to use the ϕ^\hat{\phi} term from the curl equation.
This is the reason why you got wrong answer. Although the vector potential only has ##\phi## component, that doesn't mean its curl will also has only ##\phi## component. What you need to heed to in the expression of the curl of A is:
## A_r \rightarrow r## component of vector potential
## A_\theta \rightarrow \theta## component of vector potential
## A_\phi \rightarrow \phi## component of vector potential
Now the vector potential does not have the ##r## and ##\theta## components, so any differential operation acting on these components should vanish. The differential acting on the ##\phi## component should, in general, not vanish depending on which variable it's differentiated against.

Last edited:
Likes roam
What do you mean? The answer for ##B(r)## has a ##\hat{r}## and ##\hat{\theta}## component. How did they get that?

If all the partial derivatives with respect to θ and r vanish, then I must only use the ##\partial/\partial \phi## terms. Namely:

##\frac{1}{sin \theta} \left( \frac{-\partial A_\phi}{\partial \phi} \right) + \frac{1}{r} \left( \frac{1}{sin \theta} \frac{\partial A_r}{\partial \phi} \right)##

But since I do not have any ϕ variables this also vanishes...

Ok if I rewrite the vector potential to ##A_{dip} (r) = \frac{\mu_0}{4 \pi} \frac{m sin \theta}{r^2} \hat{\phi} = A_{\phi}(r,\theta) \hat{\phi}##, will you know which terms in the curl should vanish, which one should not?
If you calculate the fourth therm in the curl ##\frac{1}{r} \frac{(\partial rA_{\phi})} {\partial r}##, will it be zero?

Last edited:
Likes roam
Thank you so much for the explanation, it makes perfect sense now. I got the right answer using the first and the fourth term. Thank you!

1. What is a magnetic field in spherical coordinates?

A magnetic field in spherical coordinates is a way of representing the strength and direction of a magnetic field in three-dimensional space. It uses the radial distance, polar angle, and azimuthal angle to describe the position and orientation of the magnetic field lines.

2. How is a magnetic field in spherical coordinates different from Cartesian coordinates?

In Cartesian coordinates, the magnetic field is described using x, y, and z coordinates. In spherical coordinates, the magnetic field is described using a radial distance, polar angle, and azimuthal angle. This allows for a more intuitive representation of the magnetic field in three-dimensional space.

3. What is the formula for calculating the magnetic field in spherical coordinates?

The formula for calculating the magnetic field in spherical coordinates is B = (Br, Bθ, Bφ) where Br is the radial component, Bθ is the polar component, and Bφ is the azimuthal component. This can also be written as B = √(Br2 + Bθ2 + Bφ2).

4. How is the magnetic field in spherical coordinates used in physics?

The magnetic field in spherical coordinates is used in physics to describe the behavior of magnetic fields in three-dimensional space. It is especially useful in areas such as electromagnetism, where the magnetic field plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of charged particles and electric currents.

5. What are some applications of the magnetic field in spherical coordinates?

The magnetic field in spherical coordinates has many applications, including in the design of magnetic sensors, magnetic levitation systems, and in the study of celestial bodies such as planets and stars. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as MRI machines and in particle accelerators for research purposes.