Magnetic field inside cavity

In summary: Yes, it is amazing. There's a similar situation with E fields. If you take a sphere with uniform volume charge density and cut out a spherical cavity anywhere inside, then you find ##\vec{E}## is uniform inside the...
Saitama

Homework Statement

A constant direct current of uniform density ##\vec{j}## is flowing in an infinitely long cylindrical conductor. The conductor contains an infinitely long cylindrical cavity whose axis is parallel to that of the conductor and is at a distance ##\vec{\ell}## from it. What will be the magnetic induction ##\vec{B}## at a point inside the cavity at a distance ##\vec{r}## from the centre of cavity?

A)##\frac{\mu_0(\vec{j} \times \vec{r})}{2}##
B)##\frac{\mu_0(\vec{j} \times \vec{l})}{2}##
C)##\frac{\mu_0(\vec{j} \times \vec{r})+\mu_0(\vec{j} \times \vec{\ell})}{2}##
D)##\frac{\mu_0(\vec{j} \times \vec{\ell})+\mu_0(\vec{j} \times \vec{r})}{2}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done similar questions in electrostatics so I think the same procedure can be applied. The procedure in electrostatics involves considering the cavity as oppositely charged cylinder and find the resultant field (I hope I explained it correctly). So here in this case, I can consider the cylindrical cavity with a uniform current density of ##\vec{-j}##. I can easily calculate the magnetic field inside a cylinder which comes out to ##\frac{\mu_0Iz}{2\pi R^2}## where z is the distance from axis but the problem is how would I write it in the form of cross products? :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You know the B (or H) field for the cylinder in the absence of the cavity in the coordinate system xyz of the cylinder. Use the cartesian system thruout.

You also know the field for the opposite current "flowing in the cavity" with zero current in the rest of the cylinder, but in the coordinate system of the cavity which is z' = cavity axis and (x' = 0, y' = 0) is the center of the cavity cross-section.

What you need to do now is to translate the coordinates of the cavity B field in terms of the coordinate system of the cylinder. Put the center of the cavity in the xyz system at (x = l,y = 0). So x' = x - l, y' = y, z' = z.

You also need to invoke the cartesian expression for the B field around an amperian circulation surrounding a uniform current density. You'll do this twice, once for each independent current density. Hint: it's a cross-product easily derived from ampere's law.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Pranav-Arora said:
I can easily calculate the magnetic field inside a cylinder which comes out to ##\frac{\mu_0Iz}{2\pi R^2}## where z is the distance from axis but the problem is how would I write it in the form of cross products?

First consider the cylinder without a cavity. Let ##\vec{s}## be a vector perpendicular to the axis of the cylinder that subtends from the axis to a point inside the cylinder where you want an expression for ##\vec{B}##. (The magnitude ##s## would take the place of your ##z##.) Can you find a way to express the magnetic field vector ##\vec{B}## at that point in terms of the two vectors ##\vec{s}## and ##\vec{j}## using a cross product? You might start by taking your expression for the magnitude of ##\vec{B}##, ##\frac{\mu_0Iz}{2\pi R^2}##, and expressing it in terms of ##j## and s. Then think of a way to construct a vector expression that would have that magnitude and also give the direction of ##\vec{B}##.

Likes 1 person
PS your teach has a sense of humor - C and D are the same answer!

But I wouldn't necessarily pick one of those just because you have an a priori chance of 50% of being right! :smile:

Thank you both of you!

The formula for magnetic field inside a current carrying cylinder in vector form is ##\frac{\mu_o(\vec{j}\times \vec{z})}{2}##.

Using the above formula, I get B.

Thank you! :smile:

Pranav-Arora said:
Thank you both of you!

The formula for magnetic field inside a current carrying cylinder in vector form is ##\frac{\mu_o(\vec{j}\times \vec{z})}{2}##.

Using the above formula, I get B.

Thank you! :smile:

Good work!
What intersting thing can you say about the B field inside the hole?

Last edited:
rude man said:
Good work!
What intersting thing can you say about the B field inside the hole?

The interesting thing is that it is same everywhere depending only on the distance between the axis of cavity and cylinder. :tongue2:

Pranav-Arora said:
The interesting thing is that it is same everywhere depending only on the distance between the axis of cavity and cylinder. :tongue2:

Exactly! The same both in magnitude and direction! I found that quite amazing.

rude man said:
Exactly! The same both in magnitude and direction! I found that quite amazing.

Yes, it is amazing. There's a similar situation with E fields. If you take a sphere with uniform volume charge density and cut out a spherical cavity anywhere inside, then you find ##\vec{E}## is uniform inside the cavity.

@TSny: Awesome! (to employ a current expletive).
And I imagine the proof proceeds analogously?

rude man said:
@TSny: Awesome! (to employ a current expletive).
And I imagine the proof proceeds analogously?

Yes, very similar.

1. What is a magnetic field inside a cavity?

A magnetic field inside a cavity refers to the presence of a magnetic field within an enclosed space or cavity. This can occur in various systems, such as a hollow sphere or a cylindrical tube, where the magnetic field lines are confined within the cavity.

2. How is a magnetic field inside a cavity created?

A magnetic field inside a cavity is typically created by a source of magnetism outside the cavity, such as a permanent magnet or an electric current. The magnetic field lines from the external source penetrate into the cavity, creating a magnetic field within the cavity.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field inside a cavity?

The strength of the magnetic field inside a cavity is affected by the strength of the external magnetic source, as well as the size and shape of the cavity. The material of the cavity can also have an impact on the strength of the magnetic field.

4. How does the magnetic field inside a cavity behave?

The behavior of the magnetic field inside a cavity depends on the shape of the cavity and the orientation of the external magnetic source. In some cases, the magnetic field may be uniform and symmetrical within the cavity, while in other cases it may be distorted or non-uniform.

5. What are the applications of studying the magnetic field inside a cavity?

Understanding the magnetic field inside a cavity is important in various fields, including physics, engineering, and geophysics. It can be used to study the behavior of magnetic materials, design magnetic shielding, and interpret magnetotelluric data for geophysical exploration.