Magnetic field of a long solenoid

In summary: So the middle would have the same magnetic field as the ends, which is μoNI. In summary, the magnetic field inside a long solenoid is uniform and is given by Bz=μoNI. Using symmetry, we can determine that the magnetic field at the center of the solenoid is also μoNI and at the ends it is μoNI.
shinobi20

Homework Statement

A long solenoid has current I flowing through it, also denote N as the turns per unit length. Take its axis to be the z-axis, by symmetry the only component of the magnetic field inside is Bz. Find the magnetic field at the center of the solenoid (on the axis). Also, find the magnetic field at the ends of the solenoid.

Homework Equations

Ampere's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part, since the solenoid is long we can approximate the magnetic field inside to be uniform and is given by BzoNI, so we can say that the magnetic field at the center is also μoNI. I'm not sure if my argument is correct but based on my understanding, from the uniformity of the B field inside, it should be the same everywhere inside. Can anyone kindly tell me if this is correct? Any suggestions and insights?

For the second part I don't have any idea on how to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Right.

For the second part, you can use symmetry: imagine you are in the middle of the solenoid, and split it in two parts: "below" and "above" (along the z axis).

mfb said:
Right.

For the second part, you can use symmetry: imagine you are in the middle of the solenoid, and split it in two parts: "below" and "above" (along the z axis).
If you split the solenoid into two parts, then the total magnetic field inside each half solenoid would also be half as much but I can't see how I can tell the magnetic field at both ends by imagining to be in the middle. Can you expound more?

The middle is just the sum of two ends.

What is a long solenoid?

A long solenoid is a cylindrical coil of wire with a length much greater than its diameter. It is often used to create a uniform magnetic field.

How is the magnetic field of a long solenoid calculated?

The magnetic field of a long solenoid can be calculated using the formula B = μ₀nI, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, n is the number of turns per unit length, and I is the current flowing through the solenoid.

What is the direction of the magnetic field inside a long solenoid?

The magnetic field inside a long solenoid is parallel to the axis of the solenoid and has a direction determined by the right-hand rule. The field lines are also close to being uniform and parallel to each other.

How does the magnetic field change as you move along the axis of a long solenoid?

The magnetic field strength inside a long solenoid remains constant along the axis of the solenoid. However, as you move away from the center of the solenoid, the field strength decreases.

What are some applications of a long solenoid?

A long solenoid has many practical applications, including in electromagnets, magnetic particle separation, MRI machines, and particle accelerators. It is also used in various electronic devices such as speakers and relays.