Magnetic field of a permanently magnetized cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnetic field of a permanently magnetized cylinder. It is determined that inside the cylinder, the magnetic field is uniform and can be calculated using the equation B = μ0H + M. The solution outside the cylinder is more complicated and may involve using a magnetic potential. It is suggested that the OP should make an effort to solve the problem themselves and hints are given to help. Overall, the conversation delves into the details of calculating the magnetic field in this type of scenario.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
/
I need to find the magnetic field of a permanently magnetized cylidner:
1624376357451.png

In calculating the magnetic field, i find that it should be $M_{0} \mu / 2$ and $H = M_{0} / 2$ inside. I just want to make sure that i understand the concepts in this type of problems.
Since $M = H \chi (1)$, does this mean that $\chi = 0.5$? Or (1) just apply to objects that have non permanently magnetization?

Also, i was not able to find the field outside the cyinder. Someone could help me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The solution inside the cylinder is a well-known one: Using ## B=\mu_o H +M ## rather than ## B=\mu_o(H+M) ##, the ## H ## is uniform and is ## H=-M_o/(2 \mu_o) \hat{i} ##. The calculation of ## B ## is then straightforward.

The field outside the cylinder is more complicated, and Legendre methods are usually used to determine the field, but I think Griffith's uses a simpler approach in one of his problems. See https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ormly-polarized-cylinder.941830/#post-5956930

Likes alan123hk
I agree that ##~B=\mu_o H +M~##, and at the same time the magnetization current density must be defined as ## J_m=\nabla \times M/\mu_o ~~ ## instead of ## ~~J_m=\nabla \times M ~ ##, and the magnetic dipole moment of small amperian loop of current should be ## ~\mu_o SI ~## instead of ## ~SI ##.

I believe this will make Maxwell's equations with magnetic charges completely symmetric.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Charles Link and Delta2
I think I have worked out the solution for the ## H ## field outside of the cylinder, but the OP needs to show some effort of their own. One thing worth mentioning is that it involves working with a magnetic potential whose minus gradient is the ## H ## field. The potential is continuous across the boundary, but separate solutions are necessary for ## V_{inside} ## and ## V_{outside} ##.

Just an additional comment: I think it is also possible to work this problem using a potential for ## B ##, but in that case, rather than having the potential continuous across the boundary, it is necessary to have the ## B ## field be continuous across the boundary.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
This is an infinitely long cylinder with uniform magnetization.

hutchphd said:
This is an infinitely long cylinder with uniform magnetization.
The magnetization is perpendicular to the axis of the cylinder. It's a somewhat difficult problem.

Likes Delta2 and hutchphd
Went right past me thanks!

Likes Charles Link
I needed to do a google to see what the expansion looked like in cylindrical coordinates. It is not the Legendre Polynomials that appear in spherical coordinates, but there are similarities. See https://faculty.kfupm.edu.sa/phys/imnasser/Phys_571/Cylinder_coordinates_T131N.pdf

Getting the solution for the potential then involves making an Ansatz (German)=assumption for a trial solution, and if it can be shown to work, it then is the correct solution.

Here is where I ask the OP @Herculi to at least give it a try to see if they can come up with the right solution. I'd be glad to give a hint or two, if they get stuck. One hint is that ## H_{inside} ## is basically known, (=use the well-known result that ## H_{inside}=-\frac{M_o}{2 \mu_o} \hat{i} ##), so that ## V_{inside} ## should be fairly easy to figure out. Comparing it to the analogous electrostatic problem can also be very helpful. You also need the gradient in cylindrical coordinates, but you can google that.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
I have not solved this in detail (where the devil usually is) but the approach I would try first would be to use the magnetic scalar potential. The general, ##z##-independent, solution to Laplace's equation has terms ##1,~ \ln(r),~r^{n}\cos(n\theta),~ r^{n}\sin(n\theta),~r^{-n}\cos(n\theta),~ r^{-n}\sin(n\theta).## I would toss out the unphysical terms and match boundary conditions.

Likes Charles Link

1. What is a permanently magnetized cylinder?

A permanently magnetized cylinder is a cylindrical object made of a ferromagnetic material, such as iron or steel, that has been magnetized and retains its magnetic field even after the external magnetic field is removed.

2. How is the magnetic field of a permanently magnetized cylinder created?

The magnetic field of a permanently magnetized cylinder is created by aligning the magnetic domains within the material in the same direction. This alignment occurs during the manufacturing process when the material is exposed to a strong external magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field in a permanently magnetized cylinder?

The strength of the magnetic field in a permanently magnetized cylinder is affected by the material used, the size and shape of the cylinder, and the strength of the external magnetic field used during the manufacturing process. The number of times the material is exposed to the external magnetic field also plays a role in determining the strength of the magnetic field.

4. How does the magnetic field of a permanently magnetized cylinder differ from that of an electromagnet?

The magnetic field of a permanently magnetized cylinder is created by the alignment of magnetic domains within the material, while the magnetic field of an electromagnet is created by the flow of electric current through a coil of wire. Additionally, the strength of the magnetic field in a permanently magnetized cylinder is fixed, while the strength of an electromagnet can be adjusted by changing the amount of current flowing through the coil.

5. What are the practical applications of a permanently magnetized cylinder?

Permanently magnetized cylinders have a wide range of practical applications, including use in motors, generators, loudspeakers, and magnetic storage devices. They are also commonly used in everyday items such as refrigerator magnets and magnetic toys.