Magnetic field of a uniformly magnetized sphere.

In summary, the magnetic field of a uniformly magnetized sphere can be found using the equations for current density and magnetic vector potential, as well as the identification that the surface charge density, angular velocity, and radius of the rotating conducting shell are equivalent to the magnetization of the sphere. This allows us to use Ampere's law to conclude that the magnetic field is equal to 2/3 times the magnetic moment of the sphere.
rmiller70015

Homework Statement

Find the magnetic field of a uniformly magnetized sphere.
(This is an example in my book, I have underlined what I am having trouble understanding down below.)

Homework Equations

$$\vec{J}_b = \nabla \times \vec{M}$$
$$\vec{K}_b = \vec{M}\times \hat{n}$$
$$\vec{A}(\vec{r}) = \frac{\mu _0}{4\pi}\int_v \frac{\vec{J_b(\textbf{r'})}}{\eta}d\tau + \frac{\mu _0}{4\pi}\oint_S \frac{\vec{K_b (\textbf{r'})}}{\eta}da'$$
##\eta## is the script r vector that Griffith's uses in his books because I couldn't figure out how to do it in mathjax.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is Example 6.1 from Griffith's Introduction to Electrodynamics 4th edition. He says that the ##\vec{M}## vector should be aligned with the z-axis and then ##\vec{J_b} = \nabla \times \vec{M} = 0## and ## \vec{K_b} = \vec{M} \times \hat{n} = Msin\theta \hat{\phi}##

This tells us that the rotating volume is equivalent to a shell with a uniform surface charge density of ##\sigma##, when this shell rotates with angular velocity, ##\omega##, it can be thought of as a surface current density of:
$$\vec{K} = \sigma \vec{v} = \sigma \omega Rsin\theta$$

This is where I get lost, the book says that "with the identification that ##\underline{\sigma R\omega \rightarrow M}##. Conclude that:"
$$\vec{B} = \frac{2}{3}\mu _0 \vec{M}$$

I have no idea where the author is getting this from, I think he is using Ampere's law, but I can't seem to find out where the relationship between B and M is that allows the author to get here.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have the book, but it looks like Griffiths is drawing an analogy between the magnetized sphere and a charged rotating conducting shell. Kb in the case of the magnetized sphere is compared to the current generated by the rotation of the shell. If there is an example of the rotating shell in the book, be sure to study it.

I second kuruman's post. The example of the rotating spherical shell of charge was worked out in chapter 5. (Example 5.11 in the 3rd edition).

1. What is a uniformly magnetized sphere?

A uniformly magnetized sphere is a spherical object made of magnetic material that has a constant and uniform magnetic field throughout its volume. This means that the strength and direction of the magnetic field is the same at every point within the sphere.

2. How is the magnetic field of a uniformly magnetized sphere calculated?

The magnetic field of a uniformly magnetized sphere can be calculated using the formula B = μ₀M/3, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, and M is the magnetization of the sphere, which is the magnetic dipole moment per unit volume.

3. What factors affect the magnetic field of a uniformly magnetized sphere?

The strength of the magnetic field of a uniformly magnetized sphere depends on the material it is made of, the strength of the magnetization, and the size and shape of the sphere. Additionally, external magnetic fields can also influence the overall magnetic field of the sphere.

4. How does the magnetic field of a uniformly magnetized sphere change with distance?

The magnetic field of a uniformly magnetized sphere follows an inverse square law, meaning that it decreases with the square of the distance from the sphere. This means that the magnetic field will be stronger closer to the sphere and weaker further away.

5. What are some practical applications of the magnetic field of a uniformly magnetized sphere?

The magnetic field of a uniformly magnetized sphere has various applications, such as in magnetic storage devices, magnetic levitation systems, and as a source of magnetic fields for experiments and demonstrations. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).