How Does Proton Spin Influence Its Magnetic Field?

In summary: Sample exercise about that: In introductory physics textbooks, there are typically exercises that ask you to calculate the magnetic moment of a particle, based on its spin and its mass.
Javier Lopez
I do not understand the theory of moment of nuclei

I read here: http://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/watkins/nuclearmoment3.htm that the magnetic moment of Hydrogen is 2.79284734 magnetons = 2.79284734*9.274009994e-24 joules/tesla =2.59e-23 joules/tesla
So if I make to rotate a proton using 150 keV could I have a magnetic field at the proton surface accordingly following expresion?
$$\frac{150keV*1.6022*10^{-16}\frac{Joule}{keV}} {2.59*10{-23}\frac{Joules}{tesla}}=928 megateslas$$

Do I have to multiply with some constants?
Is the magnetic momento of a proton = 0?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You would need such a huge external field to make the two proton spin orientations differ in energy by 150 keV.
+- some numerical prefactors maybe.

You are right, not only difficult for 2 hydrogens but almost impossible due heating over some eV they may get divorced :).

Single protons that have almost the same moment: 2.7928473508 but I suppose may be impossible align all ions due temperature makes them go free pointing anywere and the magnetic field is shielded by external ions and electrons.

I do not know about how is proton internal structure, but seems to be like a charged bump on surface rotating to create a loop that generates a magnetic dipole

Where mathematics prefactors can be found?, I have not bibliography of "atom spin and momentum" or a sample exercise about that and I have to include calculus in a small excel sheet that I am making

Javier Lopez said:
I do not know about how is proton internal structure, but seems to be like a charged bump on surface rotating to create a loop that generates a magnetic dipole
No, the magnetic moment is purely from spin of the proton.

Experimentally we cannot rule out a contribution from an electric dipole moment but it has to be tiny.
https://arxiv.org/abs/1502.04317
Javier Lopez said:
Where mathematics prefactors can be found?
If in doubt: In textbooks.

Likes Javier Lopez

1. What is the magnetic field of protons?

The magnetic field of protons refers to the magnetic field that is produced by the movement of protons, which are positively charged particles found in the nucleus of an atom.

2. How is the magnetic field of protons measured?

The magnetic field of protons can be measured using a device called a magnetometer, which detects the strength and direction of magnetic fields. It can also be measured indirectly through its effects on other particles or objects.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field of protons?

The strength of the magnetic field of protons is affected by the speed and direction of their movement, the number of protons present, and the distance between them.

4. What are the applications of the magnetic field of protons?

The magnetic field of protons has various applications in fields such as medical imaging, particle accelerators, and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy. It is also crucial in understanding the behavior of the Earth's magnetic field.

5. How does the magnetic field of protons interact with other particles?

The magnetic field of protons can interact with other charged particles through the electromagnetic force. This interaction can cause particles to move in a curved path, which is used in devices such as particle accelerators. The magnetic field can also influence the spin of other particles, leading to phenomena such as precession in NMR spectroscopy.