Rotating speed of a proton ion

In summary, the rotating frequency of a proton is 1.632e26 hz and its equatorial surface speed is 9.1e11 m/s.
Javier Lopez
I tried to calculted the rotating speed fro a proton from the clasical point of view by using its magnetic moment and the moment of a rotating sphere uniformly charged as example here: https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-07-electromagnetism-ii-fall-2012/exams/MIT8_07F12_quizsol2.pdf
It is said that the magnetic moment is:
$$\overrightarrow{m}=\frac{1}{5}Qwr^2 \overrightarrow{z}=0.4*\pi Qfr^2\overrightarrow{z}$$
By using the electric charge radius of a proton: 8.8783E-16 (0.8783 fm), its charge: 1.602176565E-19 coulombs and magnetic moment 2.59008941428763E-23 J/T (all SI), then I obtained a rotating frequency of 1.632e26 hz and an equatorial surface speed of 9.1e11 m/s that is over the c speed limit :wideeyed:

Note: the maximum magnetic moment is with an equatorial point charge which magnetic momentum is: $$\overrightarrow{m}=\pi Qfr^2 \overrightarrow{z}$$

There is also the calculus of the residual magnetic field flux density:

$$m=\frac{Br}{\mu }*Volume=\frac{Br}{\mu }*\frac{4}{3 }\pi *r^3$$

Then I obtained Br=1.11e16 teslas :wideeyed:

Is there something wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Javier Lopez said:
Javier Lopez said:
clasical point of view

Likes berkeman and jedishrfu
Javier Lopez said:

You need Quantum Mechanics for this.

Likes jedishrfu
May be interesting to explain 3000x times c :)
Relativistic theory could help also?

Javier Lopez said:
May be interesting to explain 3000x times c :)
Relativistic theory could help also?
The problem is attempting to model a proton as a spinning ball. It isn't. Whether or not a spinning ball with a specified charge/radius/whatever is plausible isn't really relevant, except to hint that your model doesn't work.

Likes Cryo and jedishrfu
Javier Lopez said:
I tried to calculted the rotating speed fro a proton from the clasical point of view by using its magnetic moment and the moment of a rotating sphere uniformly charged as example here:Is there something wrong?

This is madness, and it shows that you missed the whole point of the existence of quantum mechanics.

I can understand if you're simply wanting to calculate the classically expected value of the magnetic moment, and that this is simply an exercise in curiosity. However, when you tried to compare it to the empirical results, and then scratched your head as to why they don't match or give absurd values, then you have completely missed the boat! This is why QM came into existence, because within this realm, classical mechanics does not work!.

Zz.

Likes PeroK
This is madness, and it shows that you missed the whole point of the existence of quantum mechanics.
I said not only is not consistent with classical physics but completely absurb because the error has some orders magnitude

QM is a group (large) of theories, the best theory is that explains better the result

We could try also relativity at short distances also:

$$Qe=\frac{Q}{\sqrt{1-\gamma^2}} $$

It could work at large distances (at large distance the charge is like static concentrated at centre of mass)

Unfortunately not fulfills Bremsstrahlung radiation, does the QM explain that?

Interesting question :)

Last edited:
Javier Lopez said:
We could try also relativity at short distances also:

Or you could simply try to take seriously what others have told you several times: you can't use classical (non-relativistic nor relativistic) mechanics to calculate such things. Period.

Javier Lopez said:
Unfortunately not fulfills Bremsstrahlung radiation, does the QM explain that?

QM explains everything.

Note that within QM you do not have Newton's laws. In particular, you cannot equate an attractive EM force and a centripetal force.

To give you an illustration: In the ground state of the hydrogen atom, a measurement of the angular momentum of the electron will always give the result 0. That means that in the ground state the "orbiting" electon has no angular momentum. In terms of classical mechanics this is absurd. But, QM works on potential and solutions to Schrodinger's equation; not to an equation balancing forces.

Likes Javier Lopez
- I understand, but I wrote at the same time than following posts, so it seems that I did not read the posts -
In particular, you cannot equate an attractive EM force and a centripetal force.
Good point

It helped to me to know that the problem was not the equations but could be good that somebody gives a readable conclusion to the thread

The QM I learn was not useful to solve problems, I hope you had better luck

Last edited:
Javier Lopez said:
I said not only is not consistent with classical physics but completely absurb because the error has some orders magnitude
Yes, classical mechanics is completely unable to describe these things, it is not even a good approximation.

I have a magnetic simulator that works with high degree of accuracy off-axis, but uses useful equations and algorithms.
It would be wonderful to have something similar for close to nucleous.

It would work also equations obtained from tests, because I know a lot of tests were performed

What is the range where classic physics is out of range: one femtometer, ten femtometers?

I have done following plot that only have results from classical magnetic force and electrostatic force. I made it for 2 deuteriums but can be used for any nucleous:
o06p8m.png

I should write this and a lot more interestin formulas in my post about nuclear forces, but was not survived to QM battleships

Attachments

• o06p8m.png
    o06p8m.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 339
Thread closed pending moderation.

1. What is the rotating speed of a proton ion?

The rotating speed of a proton ion varies based on its energy level and the strength of the magnetic field it is in. In a typical laboratory setting, the rotating speed can range from tens of thousands to millions of rotations per second.

2. How is the rotating speed of a proton ion measured?

The rotating speed of a proton ion can be measured using a device called a mass spectrometer. This instrument uses magnetic and electric fields to separate particles based on their mass-to-charge ratio, allowing for the measurement of their rotating speed.

3. What factors affect the rotating speed of a proton ion?

The rotating speed of a proton ion is primarily affected by the strength of the magnetic field it is in, as well as its energy level. The mass of the ion and any external forces can also have an impact on its rotating speed.

4. Why is the rotating speed of a proton ion important in scientific research?

The rotating speed of a proton ion is important in scientific research because it can provide valuable information about the properties and behavior of particles. It is also a key factor in certain analytical techniques, such as mass spectrometry.

5. Can the rotating speed of a proton ion be changed?

Yes, the rotating speed of a proton ion can be changed through the application of external forces, such as magnetic fields or collisions with other particles. However, the maximum rotating speed is limited by the properties of the ion itself.