Magnetic fields, current and resistance

In summary: Notes: -To determine how much current a wire can safely handle, find the circular mils per amp and use that as a starting point for size. -Batteries in series will double voltage and current, while batteries in parallel will only double current. -Adding more turns to a wire will not decrease current significantly.
cephas
How do I determine how much current a wire can safely handle? I made some electromagnets with some coil and 9 volt batteries, but the wire and the batteries get real hot after a minute, which I assume is not good so i don't keep it connected for long. I want to know how much the wire I am using can take. The only thing on the package it came in was what gauge it is, but I thought that related to size not how much it could take. Is there a way to experimentally determine it?

Also is connecting batteries in series or parallel better (for getting more voltage)?

And finally, for the ideal solenoid B=u0in where i is current, and n is turns per unit length: if voltage through the coil is constant then does just adding more turns get canceled out from the decrease in current due to more wire and hence more resistence so B would remain the same?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Wire sizing for safety can be found by finding how many circular mils are carrying per amp, and you'd likely want 200 mils as an absolute minimum per amp. Here's a page with a chart near the bottom (and all kinds of info on the way to it) that lists popular gauges and their mils and resistance per foot.
http://www.bcae1.com/wire.htm

Batteries in series will double voltage capability, batteries in parallel will double current capacity. BUT you have a fixed resistance, and from E = IR you know if you double the voltage the current must double as well which means 4 times the power. Not going to work for you especially if you're already cooking your 9V battery. You're going to be better off in parallel so the batteries can work together to deliver the current.

You're voltage through your coil is not going to be constant when overloading a battery like this (getting warm=overload) and usually you can provide many more turns without the resistance changing much. You could get the resistance per foot and find the diameter of a turn and calculate this yourself.

Cliff

To determine how much current a wire can safely handle, you need to consider its gauge, material, and length. The gauge of a wire relates to its diameter, and a thicker wire can handle more current due to its lower resistance. The material of the wire also plays a role, as some materials have a higher resistance than others. The length of the wire also affects its ability to handle current, as longer wires have a higher resistance.

To experimentally determine the safe current for a wire, you can use an ammeter to measure the current flowing through the wire and gradually increase it until the wire starts to get hot. This will give you an idea of the maximum safe current for that particular wire.

In terms of connecting batteries, it depends on what you are trying to achieve. Connecting batteries in series will increase the voltage, while connecting them in parallel will increase the current. So if you need a higher voltage, connecting them in series would be better, but if you need more current, connecting them in parallel would be the way to go.

In the ideal solenoid equation, the B field is directly proportional to the current and the number of turns per unit length. So adding more turns will increase the B field as long as the current remains constant. However, as you mentioned, adding more turns will also increase the resistance, which can decrease the current. So it is a trade-off, and it depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you want a stronger magnetic field, then adding more turns would be beneficial, but if you are concerned about the current and resistance, then you may need to find a balance between the two.

Related to Magnetic fields, current and resistance

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces can be detected. It is produced by moving electric charges, such as electrons, and can be created by magnets or electric currents.

How is a magnetic field related to an electric current?

An electric current produces a magnetic field around it. The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the current and is also affected by the distance from the current.

What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of how much a material or device impedes the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms and can be affected by factors such as the material, temperature, and length/thickness of a material.

How are magnetic fields and resistance related?

Magnetic fields can affect the resistance of a material. When a material is placed in a magnetic field, the electrons in the material may change direction, thus increasing the resistance of the material.

What is the difference between direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC)?

In direct current, the flow of electric charge is in one direction only. In alternating current, the direction of the flow of electric charge alternates back and forth. Most devices in our homes use AC, while batteries produce DC.