Magnetic field's effect on a charged particle's motion

In summary, the conversation discusses how to use the right hand rule to determine the direction of the magnetic force on a moving charge, but the individual is confused because they are unsure of the direction of the electric current. They are advised to use their version of the right hand rule, with their index finger pointing north and their other fingers pointing west, to determine the correct direction.
agnwib
Homework Statement
A positive charged particle moves in a homogeneous field with speed in direction north. Find the direction of the magnetic force on the particle when the magnetic field has direction to west.
Relevant Equations
I don't think there are any relevant equations
I actually have no idea how to begin. Thanks for help šŸ˜Š

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up the Lorentz force law.

Likes agnwib
Doc Al said:
Look up the Lorentz force law.
Hi, I looked it up, and I tried to use the right hand rule, but I donĀ“t understand how to do it when I donĀ“t know the direction of the power. I tried with the power having the direction "into the paper", and used the right hand rule, and then it worked, but I donĀ“t know why. Can you please explain?

agnwib said:
but I donĀ“t understand how to do it when I donĀ“t know the direction of the power.
What do you mean by "power"? You are given the directions of the charge's velocity and the magnetic field. That should be all you need to find the direction of the magnetic force on the charge.

Describe how you are using the right hand rule.

Doc Al said:
What do you mean by "power"? You are given the directions of the charge's velocity and the magnetic field. That should be all you need to find the direction of the magnetic force on the charge.

Describe how you are using the right hand rule.
By "power" I meant the electric current. Normally, when I use the right hand rule I keep my thumb and index finger still, and bend the other fingers (middle finger, ring finger and pinky). Then I place the index finger in the direction of the electric current, the three bend fingers in the direction of the magnetic field and my thumb shows the direction of the magnetic force. I donĀ“t know how to use this rule at this task because I donĀ“t know the direction of the electrical current

agnwib said:
I donĀ“t know how to use this rule at this task because I donĀ“t know the direction of the electrical current
In this problem there is only a single charge moving. That moving charge is the current.

Likes hutchphd and Steve4Physics
Doc Al said:
In this problem there is only a single charge moving. That moving charge is the current.
Okey, I understand. Does that mean that that when I use the right hand rule, the index finger should point to north (because the positive charged particle has valocity to that direction)? Because when I do this, I still get wrong answer.

agnwib said:
Does that mean that that when I use the right hand rule, the index finger should point to north (because the positive charged particle has valocity to that direction)?
Yes, using your version of the right hand rule (which is OK).
agnwib said:
Because when I do this, I still get wrong answer.
So, you have your index finger pointing north and your other fingers pointing west?

The right hand rule states that: to determine the direction of the magnetic force on a positive moving charge, point your right thumb in the direction of the velocity , your index finger in the direction of the magnetic field (B), and your middle finger will point in the direction of the the resulting magnetic force

salmanshu322 said:
The right hand rule states that: to determine the direction of the magnetic force on a positive moving charge, point your right thumb in the direction of the velocity , your index finger in the direction of the magnetic field (B), and your middle finger will point in the direction of the the resulting magnetic force
There are many versions of the right hand rule. The one used by the OP is fine. (As is yours.)

Used properly, they all give the same answer.

1. How does a magnetic field affect the motion of a charged particle?

A magnetic field can exert a force on a charged particle, causing it to experience a change in direction or velocity. This is known as the Lorentz force and is dependent on the charge of the particle, its velocity, and the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

2. Can a charged particle's motion be completely controlled by a magnetic field?

No, a magnetic field can only alter the path of a charged particle. The particle's initial velocity and the strength of the magnetic field will determine the extent of the deflection.

3. What is the difference between a uniform and non-uniform magnetic field in relation to a charged particle's motion?

A uniform magnetic field has the same strength and direction throughout, while a non-uniform magnetic field varies in strength and/or direction. In a uniform magnetic field, a charged particle will experience a constant force and move in a circular path, while in a non-uniform magnetic field, the particle's path may be more complex.

4. How does the mass of a charged particle affect its motion in a magnetic field?

The mass of a charged particle does not directly affect its motion in a magnetic field. However, a particle with a larger mass will require a stronger magnetic field to produce the same amount of deflection as a particle with a smaller mass.

5. Can a magnetic field affect the speed of a charged particle?

Yes, a magnetic field can affect the speed of a charged particle by changing its direction of motion. The speed of the particle will remain constant, but its velocity will be altered due to the magnetic force acting on it.