Magnetic Fields- Finding the radius

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the radius of the path taken by a single ionized uranium ion accelerated through a potential difference of 4.4 x 10^5 V and injected at 90 degrees into a 0.47 T uniform magnetic field. The formula used was m(v^2)/r = Bqv, which was rearranged to isolate for the radius. However, the calculated answer was slightly off from the correct answer of 4.14 m. It was determined that the issue was using the potential difference as the velocity, instead of finding the actual speed from the potential difference using energy conservation.
Studentphysics

Homework Statement

A single ionized uranium ion of mass 6.9 x 10 ^-25 kg is accelerated through a potential difference of 4.4 x 10^5 V.
What is the radius of the path it would take if injected at 90 degrees into 0.47 T uniform magnetic field at this velocity?

3. Attempts

Since centripetal force is equal to magnetic force, I tried using the formula of m(v^2)/r = Bqv

By rearranging this, I was able to isolate for the radius mv/Bq = r

I used these values, in the the formula to find the radius
(4.4 x 10^5 V)(6.9 x 10 ^-25 kg) / (0.47T)(1.6 * 10^-19)

The answer I got was 4.037 m, however this is wrong because the real answer is 4.14m. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, because the two values seem really close

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
It's probably a round off issue. How did you find v?

I used the potential difference of 4.4 x 10^5 V as my V

Studentphysics said:
I used the potential difference of 4.4 x 10^5 V as my V
That's a problem. The "v" in qvB and in mv2/r is a speed, not a potential difference. You need to find the speed from the potential difference. Hint: Use energy conservation.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces can be detected and measured. It is created by the movement of electrically charged particles, such as electrons, and is represented by lines of force that indicate the direction and strength of the field.

2. How do you measure the radius of a magnetic field?

The radius of a magnetic field can be measured using a compass. Place the compass at different points around the magnet and note the angle at which the compass needle points. The radius of the magnetic field is the distance from the center of the magnet to the point where the compass needle points at an angle of 45 degrees.

3. What factors affect the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field is affected by the strength of the magnet, the distance from the magnet, and the orientation of the magnet. A stronger magnet will have a stronger magnetic field, and the magnetic field will decrease as you move further away from the magnet. The orientation of the magnet also plays a role, as the magnetic field is strongest at the poles of the magnet.

4. Can you have a magnetic field without a magnet?

Yes, you can have a magnetic field without a magnet. Magnetic fields can also be created by electric currents, such as those found in wires and coils. These are called electromagnets and can be turned on and off by controlling the current. Earth also has a magnetic field created by its molten core.

5. How are magnetic fields used in everyday life?

Magnetic fields have many practical applications in everyday life. They are used in compasses for navigation, in motors and generators for creating motion and electricity, and in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines for medical imaging. They are also used in credit and debit cards, as well as computer hard drives, to store and retrieve information.