Magnetic flux rule for calculating motional EMF

In summary, Griffith's attempt at a solution for Problem 7.9 does not specify a particular surface to be used when calculating the flux through a loop. He justifies this omission by citing the simplicity of the solution and the applicability of the solution to non-rectangular loops moving in arbitrary directions through non-uniform magnetic fields.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

Griffith ( Introduction to electrodynamics , 3 ed.)
says in Problem 7.9:
An infinite number of different surfaces can be fit to a given boundary line, and
yet, in defining the magnetic flux through a loop, Φ = ∫B.da, I never specified the particular
surface to be used. Justify this apparent oversight.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have always taken that surface which is perpendicular to the B and contains the loop as its boundary.
I guess that Griffith doesn't define the surface because what we want to calculate is
ε = - dΦ/dt and dΦ/dt doesn't change w.r.t. surface.

But ,I don' t know in which direction should I think?

In page no.296 , Griffith says
Apart from its delightful simplicity, it has the virtue
of applying to non- rectangular loops moving in arbitrary directions through non- uniform
magnetic fields; in fact, the loop need not even maintain a fixed shape.

But, won't calculating Φ for non- rectangular loops and non uniform magnetic fields itself be hard?

Attachments

• David_J._Griffiths_Introduction_to_Electrodynamics 3 ed..pdf
    58.5 KB · Views: 314
Physics news on Phys.org
Pushoam said:
I guess that Griffith doesn't define the surface because what we want to calculate is
ε = - dΦ/dt and dΦ/dt doesn't change w.r.t. surface.
Yes. Because the small surface in which the flux is changing is contained in the given boundary line.

cnh1995 said:
Because the small surface in which the flux is changing is contained in the given boundary line.
This I didn't get.
Will you please illustrate it?

Pushoam said:
This I didn't get.
Will you please illustrate it?
If I got the question correctly:

Consider a big metal ring S , w.r.t. which you want to calculate dΦ/dt.

Suppose there are 100 different small rings contained in the ring S and in one of them, there is a changing flux. Call this ring S'. Now the emf induced in S' is equal to the emf induced in S, since S' is contained in S.

But I'm not sure if I got the original problem statement correctly.

I think the question means something else.
Consider a ring shaped loop.
Consider two surfaces:
One could be a surface of the disk bounded by the ring.
Another could be a hemispherical surface like a bowl.
What the question says that while applying flux rule (or may be calculating flux), it doesn't matter whether I calculate flux through disk surface or hemispherical surface.
This I have to prove.

Pushoam said:
What the question says that while applying flux rule (or may be calculating flux), it doesn't matter whether I calculate flux through disk surface or hemispherical surface.
Well in that case, you need to consider the fact that all the field lines that pass through the circular base of the hemisphere also pass throgh the curved surface of the hemisphere. So it doesn't matter which surface you choose.

cnh1995 said:
Well in that case, you need to consider the fact that all the field lines that pass through the circular base of the hemisphere also pass throgh the curved surface of the hemisphere. So it doesn't matter which surface you choose.

I want to show it mathematically.
How to do this ?

1.png
2.png

Pushoam said:
There is no mistake. The minus sign shows up because you are considering a closed surface, where incoming flux (through the circular base) is equal to the outgoing flux (through the curved surface). If incoming flux is positive, outgoing flux has a negative sign, making their total zero.

cnh1995 said:
The minus sign shows up because you are considering a closed surface, where incoming flux (through the circular base) is equal to the outgoing flux (through the curved surface).
Thank you.
Now I got it.
While applying Green's theorem,
the positive direction of da for curved surface is ##\hat r## .
But in the second case , for calculating flux through the curved surface when the current is flowing through the ring, the positive direction of da for curved surface is -##\hat r## (as if I approximate the curved surface by a plane surface then the positive direction of da for this surface is ##\hat z## which is possible only if the positive direction of da for curved surface is ##-\hat r##) .

Hence, flux through the curved surface in the first case i.e. Green's theorem is negative of the flux through the curved surface in the Second case.
Hence, using the above fact and eq.(4), eq.(6) could be shown.

Generalizing it, magnetic flux through all different surfaces bounded by the same boundary line is same.

Is this correct?

Pushoam said:
Generalizing it,magnetic flux through all different surfaces bounded by the same boundary line is same.
Yes. All that goes in, comes out.

In Faraday's law, the flux is calculated w.r.t. open surface and hence, the integral of B.da is not zero.

Likes Pushoam
The first question is solved, but the second still has to be solved.
Pushoam said:
In page no.296 , Griffith says
Apart from its delightful simplicity, it has the virtue
of applying to non- rectangular loops moving in arbitrary directions through non- uniform
magnetic fields; in fact, the loop need not even maintain a fixed shape.

But, won't calculating Φ for non- rectangular loops and non uniform magnetic fields itself be hard?

Pushoam said:
It is hard.
I am not sure if I got your question correctly this time as well.
Could you elaborate?

cnh1995 said:
Could you elaborate?
What I have understood from the Griffith's book is:
Griffith is saying that emf can be calculated (using flux rule ) even when
(1) the loop is non- rectangular
(2)the magnetic field is varying
(3)the loop is moving in any arbitrary direction and
(4) the shape of the loop doesn't remain fixed

But, I, too, feel that it is hard( can be almost impossible in some cases,too) to calculate flux in any of these four cases.

Pushoam said:
What I have understood from the Griffith's book is:
Griffith is saying that emf can be calculated (using flux rule ) even when
(1) the loop is non- rectangular
(2)the magnetic field is varying
(3)the loop is moving in any arbitrary direction and
(4) the shape of the loop doesn't remain fixed
Griffith is assuming that you have all the necessary information (otherwise what's the point of creating and solving such exercise?). For example, for a loop increasing in area in a magnetic field, emf can be calculated if you know the rate of increase in area and the variation of the magnetic field. It might be harder because of the higher math involved, but with sufficient information and correct math, none of the four cases is impossible.

cnh1995 said:
none of the four cases is impossible.
o.k. thank you.

Pushoam said:
o.k. thank you.
You're welcome!

It would be better if you asked such conceptual questions in General physics or Classical physics forums. You could get way better and insightful answers there from our experts.

Green's theorem is just the special case of Stokes's theorem applied to a two-dimensional figure. At least that's the consensus. So I have a problem with the wording in the graphic of post 9.

rude man said:
Green's theorem is just the special case of Stokes's theorem applied to a two-dimensional figure
pictures from page no.29 and 34, chapter 1 , Introduction to electrodynamics,3 ed.
green's theorem.png

stoke.png

I have never read that Green's theorem is a special case of Stokes' theorem. Will you please give me a reference (to read)?

Well, then what I am applying is Gauss' theorem, not Green's theorem.'
And Gauss' theorem is not a special case of stokes' theorem. Right?

Pushoam said:
I have never read that Green's theorem is a special case of Stokes' theorem. Will you please give me a reference (to read)?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green's_theorem
Read top paragraph.

There are really two theorems, quite different from each other. I call them the Divergence theorem and the Stokes theorem. "Green's Theorem" seems to lead to all sorts of confusion; in post 20 "Green's Theorem" even refers to the Divergence Theorem. A legitimate synonym for the Divergence Theorem is "Gauss's Theorem". In electrostatics it's often used to mean the Divergence Theorem as applied to one of Maxwell's equations: ∇ ⋅ D = ρ which in integral form becomes
∫∫D⋅dA = ∫∫∫(∇⋅D)dV = ∫∫∫ ρ dV = Qfree
and I hope you're sufficiently familiar with these symbols.

Likes Pushoam
Pushoam said:
No. You need Stokes's theorem as post 8 first mentioned.
Right. See my previous post

rude man said:
No. You need Stokes's theorem as post 8 first mentioned.
But I have already solved the problem using Gauss' theorem i.e. Divergence theorem.
Isn't this o.k.?

Pushoam said:
I think what you used is one of the four Maxwell's equations. Gauss divergence theorem contains a volume integral, which I don't see in your equation.

1-png.png
In coming from eqn 1 to 2, I have used GAuss' theorem.
∇.B dΓ = ##\oint_S ##B.da = 0

Pushoam said:
But I have already solved the problem using Gauss' theorem i.e. Divergence theorem.
Isn't this o.k.?
I think you need to quote problem 7.9 for us verbatim to resolve this issue. I agree that what you wrote is correct but I wonder if it answers the question directly.

rude man said:
I think you need to quote problem 7.9 for us verbatim to resolve this issue. I agree that what you wrote is correct but I wonder if it answers the question directly.

Pushoam said:
Griffith ( Introduction to electrodynamics , 3 ed.)
says in Problem 7.9:
An infinite number of different surfaces can be fit to a given boundary line, and
yet, in defining the magnetic flux through a loop, Φ = ∫B.da, I never specified the particular
surface to be used. Justify this apparent oversight.

This is the statement of the problem given in the book. I am attaching the image.
Selection_003.png

Pushoam said:
I am attaching the image.
View attachment 205011
I do not see any image?
Oh, you mean the statement of the problem. No graphic?
The problem includes the statement " ... I never specified the particular surface to be used ... ". Please include the statement referred to herein. "Problem 7.9" is obviousy a continuation either of a previous problem or some text.

Pushoam said:
selection_003-png.png
The above thing is the image.

Please click it.

Pushoam said:
The above thing is the image.

Please click it.
The problem includes the statement " ... I never specified the particular surface to be used ... ". Please include the statement referred to.

I attached the whole section of the book from which the question is asked.The definition of flux is given in page no. 295, first attachment.

Attachments

• David_J._Griffiths_Introduction_to_Electrodynamics 3 ed..pdf
    175.9 KB · Views: 172
  • David_J._Griffiths_Introduction_to_Electrodynamics 3 ed3..pdf
    33.2 KB · Views: 448
  • David_J._Griffiths_Introduction_to_Electrodynamics 3 ed 2..pdf
    121.6 KB · Views: 240
Pushoam said:
I attached the whole section of the book from which the question is asked.The definition of flux is given in page no. 295, first attachment.
OK, thanks. I know the Stokes theorem is appropriate here, but I haven't decided yet on whether the way you invoked the Divergence theorem isn't also OK. That's my answer for the moment & I'll try to get back a bit later with any new views.

rude man said:
I know the Stokes theorem is appropriate here,

How can one apply stokes' theorem to answer this question ?
Will you please give me some hint?

<h2>1. What is the magnetic flux rule for calculating motional EMF?</h2><p>The magnetic flux rule, also known as Faraday's law, states that the induced electromotive force (EMF) in a closed circuit is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the circuit.</p><h2>2. How is the magnetic flux rule applied in practical situations?</h2><p>In practical situations, the magnetic flux rule is used to calculate the induced EMF in a circuit when there is a changing magnetic field, such as in generators and transformers. It is also used to explain phenomena such as electromagnetic induction and the production of electricity in power plants.</p><h2>3. What factors affect the magnitude of the induced EMF according to the magnetic flux rule?</h2><p>The magnitude of the induced EMF is affected by the rate of change of magnetic flux, the number of turns in the circuit, and the strength of the magnetic field.</p><h2>4. Can the magnetic flux rule be used to calculate the direction of the induced EMF?</h2><p>Yes, the magnetic flux rule also states that the direction of the induced EMF is determined by the direction of the change in magnetic flux. This is known as Lenz's law.</p><h2>5. Are there any limitations to the magnetic flux rule for calculating motional EMF?</h2><p>The magnetic flux rule is based on idealized conditions and does not take into account factors such as resistance and self-inductance in the circuit. In real-world situations, these factors may affect the accuracy of the calculated EMF.</p>

1. What is the magnetic flux rule for calculating motional EMF?

The magnetic flux rule, also known as Faraday's law, states that the induced electromotive force (EMF) in a closed circuit is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the circuit.

2. How is the magnetic flux rule applied in practical situations?

In practical situations, the magnetic flux rule is used to calculate the induced EMF in a circuit when there is a changing magnetic field, such as in generators and transformers. It is also used to explain phenomena such as electromagnetic induction and the production of electricity in power plants.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the induced EMF according to the magnetic flux rule?

The magnitude of the induced EMF is affected by the rate of change of magnetic flux, the number of turns in the circuit, and the strength of the magnetic field.

4. Can the magnetic flux rule be used to calculate the direction of the induced EMF?

Yes, the magnetic flux rule also states that the direction of the induced EMF is determined by the direction of the change in magnetic flux. This is known as Lenz's law.

5. Are there any limitations to the magnetic flux rule for calculating motional EMF?

The magnetic flux rule is based on idealized conditions and does not take into account factors such as resistance and self-inductance in the circuit. In real-world situations, these factors may affect the accuracy of the calculated EMF.