Magnetic force on current carrying wire

In summary, the magnetic field exerts a force on the wire, perpendicular to the current direction. The direction of the force is also perpendicular to the length of the wire.
superslow991

Homework Statement

A wire along the z-axis carries a current of 6.8 A in the +z direction. Find the magnitude and direction of the force exerted on a 6.1-cm long length of the wire by a uniform magnetic field with magnitude 0.36 T in the -x direction.

Homework Equations

F=I(LxB)

The Attempt at a Solution

Now i already know the answer but i am confused as to what the direction the Force, field, and length are. I know this equation is dealing with cross product but if someone could explain to me in detail the direction of the Force (F), the field (B), and the length (L).

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think the directions are, and why, and what questions/doubts do you have about them? Then we can verify/correct your answers, and address your specific questions about them.

kuruman said:
Thanks
jtbell said:
What do you think the directions are, and why, and what questions/doubts do you have about them? Then we can verify/correct your answers, and address your specific questions about them.
So if I am reading right the direction of the Force is perpendicular to both the length and the magnetic field.
The length is in direction of the current in the wire
The field is?

superslow991 said:
So if I am reading right the direction of the Force is perpendicular to both the length and the magnetic field.
Correct.
superslow991 said:
Correct.
superslow991 said:
The field is?
Perpendicular to both the length and the force.

Likes superslow991
kuruman said:
Correct.

Correct.

Perpendicular to both the length and the force.
Thanks a lot

superslow991 said:
The field is?
Looks to me like they tell you the direction of the field. :oldconfused:
(and the direction of the current)

Related to Magnetic force on current carrying wire

What is magnetic force on a current carrying wire?

Magnetic force on a current carrying wire is a phenomenon in which a magnetic field exerts a force on a wire that is carrying an electric current. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field.

How is the direction of magnetic force on a current carrying wire determined?

The direction of magnetic force on a current carrying wire is determined by the right hand rule. This rule states that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the current and your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field, your palm will face the direction of the magnetic force.

Can the strength of magnetic force on a current carrying wire be changed?

Yes, the strength of magnetic force on a current carrying wire can be changed by altering the current, the magnetic field, or the angle between the wire and the magnetic field. Increasing any of these factors will result in a stronger magnetic force.

How does the length of a current carrying wire affect the magnetic force?

The length of a current carrying wire does not directly affect the magnetic force. However, a longer wire will have more surface area for the magnetic force to act on, resulting in a larger overall force.

What are some real world applications of magnetic force on current carrying wires?

Magnetic force on current carrying wires is used in various devices such as motors, generators, and speakers. It is also used in magnetic levitation trains and particle accelerators. Additionally, it is an important concept in the study of electromagnetism and is essential for understanding the behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields.