Magnetic levitation train formulas used

• Thread starter HighTechPower
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulas
HighTechPower
Hi I'm designing a magnetic levitation model train just like this

The only difference may be to use disk magnets for tracks instead of strip type magnets (I'm considering both options at this stage before deciding finally).
The engineering part of design is easy, however, I want to know and have to submit the physics/math formulas used in this model train. I search the net but could not find the best fit. Can anybody help in this regard?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a school project?

Undergraduate engineering level project

Then you need to show some work, instead of just saying you tried but failed to find into. What search terms did you use? What DID you find out?

Likes berkeman
New user has been reminded to always show their work on schoolwork problems.
phinds said:
Then you need to show some work, instead of just saying you tried but failed to find into. What search terms did you use? What DID you find out?
I'm not bound to what you are saying instead show your home work in participating here

HighTechPower said:
I'm not bound to what you are saying instead show your home work in participating here
I'm not clear on what you are saying, but just to make sure we're clear on what I'm saying, this is not a Q&A forum where you just ask a question and get an answer. We are more interested in showing people how to get the answer themselves. Just giving an answer is boring. SO ... any time something is, or even just looks like it might be, homework, we require the poster to show some effort before we give any help.

Thread locked temporarily for Moderation...

HighTechPower said:
There may be a language translation issue here, but please re-read the PF Rules section on schoolwork (see INFO at the top of the page). You are required to show your best efforts when posting schoolwork problems or projects.

Thread is reopened for now so that the OP can show their work.

Likes phinds

1. How does a magnetic levitation train work?

A magnetic levitation train uses a combination of magnetic fields and electric currents to create a repulsive force between the train and the tracks. This allows the train to hover above the tracks, reducing friction and allowing for faster speeds.

2. What is the formula for calculating the force of magnetic levitation?

The formula for calculating the force of magnetic levitation is F = (B^2 * A) / (2μ0), where B is the magnetic field strength, A is the area of the magnet, and μ0 is the permeability of free space.

3. How is the speed of a magnetic levitation train determined?

The speed of a magnetic levitation train is determined by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic fields, the weight and design of the train, and the smoothness of the tracks. The maximum speed of a magnetic levitation train is limited by the power and control systems.

4. What is the difference between electrodynamic and electromagnetic levitation?

Electrodynamic levitation uses electric currents to create a repulsive force, while electromagnetic levitation uses a combination of electric currents and magnetic fields. Electrodynamic levitation is typically used for smaller objects, while electromagnetic levitation is used for larger objects like trains.

5. Are there any safety concerns with magnetic levitation trains?

Magnetic levitation trains have a very strong magnetic field, so there are concerns about the potential effects on electronic devices and medical implants. However, proper safety measures are in place to minimize these risks and ensure the safety of passengers and nearby individuals.