Why do maglev trains use attraction vs repulsion

In summary, both systems are dynamically unstable and require complex control systems in order to function safely.
Paul Aitken
I'm trying to find out why EMS maglev trains use magnetic attraction instead of repulsion. Given that the attractive force diminishes with distance it seems the forces would have to match exactly or else one of the two forces would win out and the train would come to a grinding halt.

But with like polarity between the track and train, any variation in the distance between the two would be self-correcting. As the train got closer to the track, magnetic repulsion would increase.

What am I missing? Excuse my ignorance if the answer is obvious. I'm a curious layman.

Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/why-do-ems-maglev-trains-use-attraction-instead-of-repulsion.912614/

Engineering news on Phys.org
Paul Aitken said:
I'm trying to find out why EMS maglev trains use magnetic attraction instead of repulsion.

they don't, at least not to levitate the train
to move the train they use both

you need to do some googling and reading about maglev trains
then ask specific questions relating to anything you read that you don't understand
in that case , supply links to what you were reading and the part you were unsure about :smile:

regards
Dave

Thanks Dave. Here's what I'm basing this on.

http://emt18.blogspot.ca/2008/10/maglev-suspension-systems.html

And specifically the following excerpt:

The electromagnetic suspension EMS uses attractive force system to levitate. The train’s levitation magnet will be attracted to the conductors on the underside of the guideway. The attractive force between them will overcome the gravitational force. This will in turn levitates the train on the track.

My question is: Why attraction as opposed to repulsion?

In EMS it sounds like they are using electromagnets mounted on the carriage's underside to interact with the magnetic field surrounding the high-current-carrying 3rd and 4th rails (so to speak). The current in these copper bus bars will include the current used by the propulsion motors, so it will be a very high current.

In EDS, it sounds like they are relying on induced eddy currents to form the opposing magnetic field, and eddy currents are small at low relative velocities, but increase as speed picks up.

It's EMS that concerns me. And for the purposes of this discussion I'm excluding the forward propulsion provided by linear induction. I'm trying to determine whether it's possible to levitate a train using only the repulsive force of like polarity. In other words could a train with permanent magnets on the bottom and sides, levitate in track hemmed in by corresponding electromagnets of like polarity. It seems like it should be possible but all existing EMS trains use attraction as described in the above post. I'm writing a television story about a character who builds such a train and I'm trying to determine what would happen.

It's an underslung system . The levitation magnets are below the guide rail and with poles facing upwards .

upload_2017-4-26_10-19-38.png

Technically excellent but expensive compared to other systems .

Likes cabraham
According to wikipedia:

Magnetic attraction varies inversely with the cube of distance, so minor changes in distance between the magnets and the rail produce greatly varying forces. These changes in force are dynamically unstable – a slight divergence from the optimum position tends to grow, requiring sophisticated feedback systems to maintain a constant distance from the track.

So why not use magnetic repulsion instead where the distance between track and train is self-reinforcing?

Likes cabraham
The guide rail construction is much simpler for attraction type systems and there is minimal magnetic field leakage into the passenger compartment .

System tends to be costly overall because of the complicated construction of the underworks of vehicles and because of the need for very sophisticated designs of levitation magnets .

Both attraction and repulsion systems are dynamically unstable and complex control systems are required to enable trains using them to run safely and smoothly .

These control systems have features in common with the systems used in unstable aircraft designs where the instability is turned to advantage so as to get very fast control responses .

Thank you for answering my question Nidum. I understand that both forces are dynamically unstable, Earshaw's theorum and all that. I'm not looking for modern world applications so magnetic leakage isn't a concern. I'm writing a television story set in the early 20th century where a Elon Musk type character conceives of a maglev train using magnetic repulsion on both sides and the bottom of the guide track. Ignoring for the moment whether the magnetic field leakage would affect the linear induction system of propulsion, what would happen? I'm trying to avoid building my own scaled down test model.

Repulsion seems to work as well. But I don't think that could eliminate the need for feedback control. The gap between the rails and undercarriage still has to be controlled and cannot be left at the mercy of inertia and weight of the train. That's what I think.

1. Why do maglev trains use attraction instead of repulsion?

Maglev trains use magnetic levitation technology to operate without physical contact with the track. This reduces friction and allows for faster speeds and smoother rides. Attraction is used because it allows the train to be pulled towards the track, providing a stable and controlled movement.

2. What is the difference between attraction and repulsion in maglev trains?

In attraction, the train is pulled towards the track by the use of electromagnets on the train and the track. This creates a stable and controlled movement. In repulsion, the train is lifted and propelled by the repelling force between magnets on the train and the guideway. This requires precise control to maintain stability and can be less efficient.

3. How do maglev trains use attraction to levitate?

Maglev trains use superconducting magnets on the train and electromagnets on the track to create a magnetic field. The magnets on the train are cooled to a temperature near absolute zero, allowing them to conduct electricity without resistance. When the train moves, the magnetic field induces currents in the track, creating a repelling force that lifts the train and allows it to levitate.

4. What are the advantages of using attraction in maglev trains?

Using attraction in maglev trains allows for a smoother and faster ride compared to traditional trains. It also reduces maintenance costs as there is no physical contact between the train and the track. The absence of friction also makes the train more energy-efficient and environmentally friendly.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using attraction in maglev trains?

One potential disadvantage of using attraction in maglev trains is the need for a significant initial investment in infrastructure and technology. Additionally, the technology is still relatively new and may not be as extensively developed or tested as traditional train systems. This can lead to higher costs and potential safety concerns.