Magnetic permeability Vs. Magnetic susceptibility

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between magnetic susceptibility and permeability and asks for clarification on their meanings. Keith expresses his lack of understanding on the topic and plans to do more research, while Dave suggests reading Wikipedia articles for further information.
Keith
Hi I'm trying to find the difference between magnetic susceptibility and permeability? Do they both mean the same thing? If not, can anyone clear things up for me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Keith said:
Hi I'm trying to find the difference between magnetic susceptibility and permeability? Do they both mean the same thing? If not, can you clear things up for me?
Hi there Keith

what have you discovered so far in your research on the subject ?Dave

Likes berkeman
davenn said:
Hi there Keith

what have you discovered so far in your research on the subject ?Dave

I discovered I don't know magnetism well enough to even piece together a conceptual understanding so I'm going to go cry in a corner. lol

Keith said:
Hi I'm trying to find the difference between magnetic susceptibility and permeability? Do they both mean the same thing? If not, can anyone clear things up for me?
Keith said:
I discovered I don't know magnetism well enough to even piece together a conceptual understanding so I'm going to go cry in a corner. lol
LOL. I think what Dave is asking is what did you learn from reading the two articles at wikipedia about this? They are different but semi-related quantities, as described by the articles.

Please read through those articles, and ask specific questions about the things that you do not understand in them. :smile:

1. What is the difference between magnetic permeability and magnetic susceptibility?

Magnetic permeability is a measure of a material's ability to allow magnetic lines of force to pass through it, while magnetic susceptibility is a measure of how easily a material can be magnetized in the presence of an external magnetic field.

2. How are magnetic permeability and magnetic susceptibility related?

Magnetic permeability and magnetic susceptibility are related in that they both describe a material's response to an external magnetic field. However, magnetic permeability is a more general term, while magnetic susceptibility specifically refers to the material's ability to become magnetized.

3. What are some factors that affect magnetic permeability and magnetic susceptibility?

The composition, structure, and temperature of a material can all affect its magnetic permeability and magnetic susceptibility. Generally, materials with high concentrations of iron, nickel, or cobalt have higher permeability and susceptibility.

4. How are magnetic permeability and magnetic susceptibility measured?

Magnetic permeability is measured in units of henries per meter (H/m), while magnetic susceptibility is dimensionless. Both can be measured using various techniques, such as a vibrating sample magnetometer or a SQUID magnetometer.

5. What are some practical applications of magnetic permeability and magnetic susceptibility?

Magnetic permeability and magnetic susceptibility are important properties in the development of magnetic materials and technologies. They are used in the design of magnetic storage devices, sensors, and motors. They also play a role in industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, and renewable energy.