Magnetic resonancy, Zeeman effect

In summary, the magnetic resonancy experiment using hydrogen atoms in their ground state is realized. A constant magnetic field duplicate the magnetic energy levels in the atoms and an oscillating magnetic field synchronized to the frequency that corresponds to the transition between these levels. The calculated frequency of resonance is 1.75 times 10^11 Hz.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A magnetic resonancy experiment is realized using hydrogen atoms in their ground state. A constant magnetic field [itex]B_0[/itex] duplicate the magnetic energy levels in the atoms and an oscillating magnetic field [itex]B_ \omega[/itex] is synchronized to the frequency that corresponds to the transition between these levels. Calculate the value of the frequency of resonance for a field [itex]B_0 =2000G[/itex].

Homework Equations

Somes.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I know how to solve the problem if the atoms weren't in their ground state.
What makes me doubt about my whole understanding of the quantum numbers and the hydrogen atom is...
If n=1, the quantum number l must be worth 0.
Since [itex]m_l[/itex] goes from [itex]-l[/itex] to [itex]l[/itex], it must also be worth 0.
So how can there be any duplication of lines?

Edit: It isn't stated but I guess I must assume that the atoms absorb photons to reach the shell n=2. Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
The electrons have magnetic moment due to their spin, too.
There is no lines mentioned; you need to calculate the splitting of the level.

ehild

Ah I see. I totally confused 2 effects.
Is this formula right (I found it in hyperphysics with some substitutions) [itex]\mu _S=-\frac{2 \mu _B S}{\hbar}[/itex]? If so, this is worth [itex]-\sqrt 3 \mu _B[/itex].
I don't really know how to calculate the difference of energy of the electrons due to the external magnetic field.

The interaction energy of dipole and field is equal to the product of the field multiplied by the parallel component of the momentum. The magnetic momentum of the electron can align only parallel and antiparallel to the field.

ehild

ehild said:
The interaction energy of dipole and field is equal to the product of the field multiplied by the parallel component of the momentum. The magnetic momentum of the electron can align only parallel and antiparallel to the field.

ehild
Thank you very much, I understand now.
So you mean [itex]\Delta E = \pm \mu _B B[/itex].
Also, [itex]E= \hbar \omega[/itex].
This gives me [itex]\omega = \frac{\mu _B B_0}{\hbar}[/itex]. [itex]B_0[/itex] is worth 2 teslas.
I reach [itex]\omega \approx 1.75 \times 10 ^{11} Hz[/itex]. Does this looks good?

1. What is magnetic resonance?

Magnetic resonance is a phenomenon in which atomic nuclei or electrons absorb and emit electromagnetic radiation at certain frequencies when placed in a magnetic field. This is used in various fields such as medical imaging, chemistry, and physics to study the properties of materials.

2. What is the Zeeman effect?

The Zeeman effect is the splitting of spectral lines into multiple components when a substance is placed in a magnetic field. This effect is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the charged particles in the substance, resulting in different energy levels and therefore different frequencies of light being emitted or absorbed.

3. How is magnetic resonance used in medical imaging?

In medical imaging, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) uses the principles of magnetic resonance to produce detailed images of the body's internal structures. By manipulating the magnetic field and measuring the response of hydrogen atoms in the body, MRI can create images with high contrast and resolution, allowing for the detection of abnormalities or diseases.

4. What are some other applications of magnetic resonance?

In addition to medical imaging, magnetic resonance is also used in chemistry to study the structures of molecules and in physics to study the properties of materials. It is also commonly used in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, which can provide information about the composition and structure of substances.

5. What are the potential risks of exposure to magnetic resonance?

While MRI is generally considered a safe and non-invasive imaging technique, there are some potential risks associated with exposure to strong magnetic fields. These include effects on implanted medical devices, such as pacemakers, and potential heating of metal objects in the body. It is important for individuals with implants or metal objects in their body to consult with their doctor before undergoing an MRI.