Magnetics: Exploring the Basics and Beyond

• Thread starter Questioner...
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetics
In summary, the conversation discussed the fascination with magnets and their workings. It was mentioned that magnets are made of metal and only attract other metal objects. The Earth's core was also brought up as a giant magnet. The person had several questions regarding the atom of a magnet, increasing its power, and the possibility of the Earth's iron core being the source of gravity. It was suggested to read the Wikipedia article on magnetism for more information. Overall, magnetism is a complex subject with many avenues for exploration, including electron spins and electricity. The reason for some materials being magnetic and others not was also mentioned as something that could be deduced from the Wikipedia article.
Questioner...
Hello,
I've come to terms that I am fascinated with magnets and how they work. I thought I would come here to ask some questions before I go out start a search on my own.

What I know:
A magnet is a medal:), It does not attract objects that are not medal. The Earth's core is basically a giant magnet.
-I know it's a lot of information to cope with.

Questions-
How does a basic atom of a magnet look like? Could we increase the number of electrons to increase the power of the magnetic field? Could Earth's iron core be the possible source of gravity being a giant magnet- seeing that we ourselves and nearly every object held to the Earth consists of small amount of iron? Could a Huge source of magnetic power attract such small amount of iron and such?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How about reading wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetism

you can answer your own questions from explanations providedthere...and many others...

Magnetism is a vast subject with many interesting and strange alleys for investigation... including electron spins...and electricity...

Why are some materials magnetic and others not magnetic? You can deduce that from the wikipedia article and it may be described there as well...

Hello! It's great to hear that you are interested in magnets and their workings. I am happy to help answer your questions.

To start, let's clarify a few things about magnets. A magnet is not a medal, but rather a material that has a magnetic field. This field is created by the alignment of electrons within the material. When these electrons are aligned, they create a magnetic force that can attract or repel other magnets or magnetic materials. The Earth's core is made up of a combination of iron, nickel, and other elements, which creates a magnetic field that extends beyond the surface of the Earth.

Now, to answer your first question about the basic atom of a magnet - it looks like any other atom with a nucleus of protons and neutrons, surrounded by electrons. However, in a magnet, the electrons are arranged in a way that creates a magnetic field.

As for increasing the power of a magnetic field by increasing the number of electrons, this is not necessarily the case. The strength of a magnet depends on the material it is made of and how the electrons are aligned within that material. Adding more electrons may change the strength of the magnetic field, but it is not a direct correlation.

Regarding your question about the Earth's core being the source of gravity, this is a topic that is still being studied and researched. While the Earth's magnetic field does play a role in the overall gravitational pull, it is not the sole source of gravity. Gravity is a fundamental force that is still not fully understood, but it is believed to be caused by the mass of an object.

Lastly, magnets can attract very small amounts of iron or other magnetic materials because the magnetic field they create extends beyond the surface of the magnet. This means that even small amounts of iron can be affected by the magnetic force.

I hope this helps answer your questions and sparks further interest in the world of magnetics. Keep exploring and learning!

1. What is the definition of magnetism?

Magnetism is the physical phenomenon by which objects are attracted to one another or repelled by specific materials, such as iron or steel, due to the presence of a magnetic field.

2. How do magnets work?

Magnets work by producing a magnetic field, which is created by the alignment of electrons in the material. This magnetic field can then attract or repel other magnetic materials.

3. What are the different types of magnets?

There are four main types of magnets: permanent magnets, temporary magnets, electromagnets, and superconducting magnets. Permanent magnets are made of materials that retain their magnetic properties, while temporary magnets only exhibit magnetism when exposed to an external magnetic field. Electromagnets are created by passing an electrical current through a coil of wire, and superconducting magnets are made from materials that have no electrical resistance at extremely low temperatures.

4. How are magnets used in everyday life?

Magnets are used in a variety of everyday objects, including speakers, motors, generators, credit and debit cards, and compasses. They are also used in medical imaging machines and in the production of electricity from renewable sources such as wind and hydro power.

5. Can magnets lose their magnetism?

Yes, magnets can lose their magnetism over time due to exposure to high temperatures, strong magnetic fields, or physical damage. However, some materials, such as neodymium magnets, are more resistant to demagnetization than others. Additionally, permanent magnets can be remagnetized if they lose their magnetism.