Magnetism, electrical and thermal conductivity of metals

In summary, the conversation discusses testing knowledge on various metals and their properties. Specifically, the electrical and thermal conductivity of cast iron and 304 stainless steel, as well as which metals are attracted to magnets. The conclusion is that mild steel and cast iron are likely to have poor or good conductivity, while most ferrous metals, including stainless steel and tool steel, are attracted to magnets.
learnphysics10
1. I would like to test myself on how well I know my information about certain metals, some of them get me a bit puzzled.

How would you rate the electrical conductivity of cast iron?
Poor, good, excellent or best?

Also the thermal conductivity of 304 stainless steel?
Poor, good, excellent or best?

I know that most ferrous metals are magnetic, right? The metals and alloys, cast iron, stainless steel, aluminum, alpha brass, mild steel, copper, phosphor bronze, tool steel, HSLA steel, zinc, lead, magnesium. Which ones would you expect to be attracted to a magnet?

3. -I think the first one is poor, and the second one is either poor or good?

-My thought is mild steel and cast iron, any that I missed?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Poor, good, excellent or best" depends on the scale. Compared to wood, for example, all (?) metals are excellent electric conductors. I would not describe cast iron as "poor" conductor. The same goes for the steel: touch it, if it feels cold it is certainly not a poor thermal conductor.

-My thought is mild steel and cast iron, any that I missed?
What about all the other ferrous metals in the list?

So the ferrous metals I think are Stainless steel, cast iron, mild steel, tool steel and HSLA steel. Are these all attracted to a magnet?

What do you think?

(Stainless steel and steel tools should be easy to get for a test, by the way).

I would think that mild steel and cast iron would be, possibly tool steel? And the rest I don't think they do. Unfortunately I don't have any magnets.

Nearly everything based on iron is ferromagnetic and is therefore attracted by a magnet, and steel is based on iron.
And in doubt, check the internet.

1. How does magnetism affect the properties of metals?

Magnetism is the ability of a material to attract or repel other materials based on the alignment of its electrons. In metals, magnetism can affect the arrangement of electrons and therefore influence their electrical and thermal conductivity.

2. Can all metals conduct electricity and heat?

No, not all metals have the same level of electrical and thermal conductivity. These properties depend on the metal's atomic structure and the movement of its electrons. Some metals, like copper and gold, have high conductivity while others, like tungsten and iron, have lower conductivity.

3. How does electrical conductivity differ from thermal conductivity in metals?

Electrical conductivity refers to the ability of a material to allow the flow of an electric current, while thermal conductivity is the ability to transfer heat. While some metals may have high electrical conductivity, they may not have the same level of thermal conductivity and vice versa.

4. Can the electrical and thermal conductivity of a metal be changed?

Yes, the electrical and thermal conductivity of a metal can be changed by altering its atomic structure. This can be achieved through methods such as alloying, which involves mixing different metals together, or by subjecting the metal to high temperatures or pressures.

5. How do magnetic fields affect the electrical and thermal conductivity of metals?

Magnetic fields can affect the electrical and thermal conductivity of metals, as they can alter the movement of electrons within the metal. In some cases, a magnetic field can increase the conductivity of a metal, while in others it can decrease it. The effect depends on the strength and direction of the magnetic field, as well as the properties of the metal.