Space Shuttle, thermal energy transfer, book makes no sense

In summary, when the space shuttle enters the atmosphere, the transferred energy is created by friction with the surrounding gases and is also transferred to those gases. Some energy is also absorbed by the tiling on the underside of the shuttle's surface.
Mister T said:
What do you mean when you refer to molecules heating up?

Okay the molecules are not heating up. They are gaining some potential energy so traveling faster as a result of the sudden arrival of the shuttle) and some energy is thermal heat energy. The kinetic energy I understand because the molecules have been shoved by the shuttle. Don't know where heat comes from or what creates heat or what heat is. heat just exists. The more I read and analyse the more confused I'm beginning. A few posts ago I didn't care what heat was ... it just was ... just existed ... it is a thing ... now I don't know what anything is.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're not sorting microscopic and macroscopic concepts. Heat is a macroscopic concept. And I think you meant kinetic energy in that first sentence when you wrote potential energy.

I have to disagree with your self assessment. I think you're learning a lot and are on the verge of a break through.

Part of the problem is that the word heat has a precise technical meaning that is different from the everyday meaning. So it's easy to get mixed up. The 1800's was the century during which all this got sorted out. The fact that it took that long is an indication of the complexity involved.

Mister T said:
I have to disagree with your self assessment. I think you're learning a lot and are on the verge of a break through.

I know you're trying to do a good thing by leading me to the answer and learn lots along the way BUT some minds are not meant to make discoveries. I'm pretty sure a Eureka moment is not going to happen.
Thanks for all your guidance anyway.
I just need some answers to my original questions now please. Or some very big clues ... like FILL THE GAPS.

E.g Isaacs Newton had an ... drop on his head when he discovered a theory on ...

Einstein formula is ... = mc2

It's High School level physics I need

I'm thinking a simple satisfactory answer will be: kinetic energy of the shuttle is transferred into friction with the air molecules and compression energy (the air molecules are compressed). Thermal energy results from friction that heats the shuttle. Thermal energy results from the compression that heats the shuttle.

In summary heat is transferred from shuttle kinetic energy to the atmosphere