Magnetism / Electromagnet Levitation question

In summary: You can have a levitating object with permanent fields you just need the object to be spinning like the spinning top so that the gyro effect balances the unstable magnetic positioning.
stevanlieberman
TL;DR Summary
Can one support one magnet so it does not move hanging below an electromagnetic strip say a foot away from the strip so it does not fall and is there a formula for this?
I can make one magnet ‘leap’ up to another magnet and I can push one magnet away with another magnet but can’t figure out how to do both at the same time so the first magnet can essentially be suspended in mid air with the controlling magnet being above. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Earnshaw's theorem proved conclusively that it is not possible to levitate stably using only static, macroscopic, paramagnetic fields

Likes DaveE
It's unstable, like a pencil standing on it's point. The more the magnet falls, the less lifting force there is. You can do it with position sensing and feedback control of the field strength.

You can do the reverse with repulsion from magnets below opposing gravity, which can be passive. You'll need multiple magnets or a complex structure to keep the magnet in the center.

Like these:
https://www.maglev.net/best-maglev-toys-and-gadgets

Last edited:
Likes stevanlieberman and hutchphd
DaveE said:
It's unstable, like a pencil standing on it's point. The more the magnet falls, the less lifting force there is. You can do it with position sensing and feedback control of the field strength.

You also do the reverse with repulsion from magnets below opposing gravity, which can be passive. You'll need multiple magnets or a complex structure to keep the magnet in the center.

Like these:
https://www.maglev.net/best-maglev-toys-and-gadgets
Wait. Now I'm not so sure. Magnetic levitation is more complicated than I thought. For example, you need some force to keep the levitated magnet from rolling over.

Perhaps an experiment tonight...

Likes stevanlieberman
It says “ levitation A magnet or properly assembled array of magnets can be stably levitated against gravity when gyroscopically stabilized by spinning it in a toroidal field created by a base ring of magnet(s)”

But all of the devices cited do it from the bottom up. I am wondering if it can be done with the gyroscopic device is above the thing being levitated?

Oh they have one from above. How are they moving the electricity into the bulb? Thanks

stevanlieberman said:
Oh they have one from above. How are they moving the electricity into the bulb? Thanks
The same way your phone charges wirelessly. You don't have to have wires to transfer energy with electromagnetism. If you did your radio wouldn't work.

Likes stevanlieberman
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=levitating+globe+magnetic

Many years ago, I built one with an electromagnet above a globe of the Moon (about 6 inches diameter). You could start the Moon spinning and with no friction it would keep going.

The fun part was I put a noise-maker circuit inside the Moon globe connected to a tilt sensor. During a demonstration, I would invite someone to take the Moon out and then replace it. Not knowing what to do, they would often freeze when the noise-maker started!

I used a beam of light and a large (1.25 inches, 3.2cm. square) photocell to sense the vertical position of the globe. The electromagnet was wound with five pounds of 14 gauge (AWG) wire (about 400ft., 120m.).

The control circuit was a full wave bridge rectifier with phase control, fed from the wall power outlet (same approach as a lamp dimmer, but they feed AC to the lamp). Feeding DC to the electromagnet allowed a much higher current, and stronger field, than AC would have.

Have Fun!
Tom

• Wow
Likes Klystron
I would have loved to have seen that. My goal is to create a light fixture that has what looks like spinning balls of light hanging a foot from the ceiling and every 5 feet across a 30 foot room. It sounds like your moo globe did everything I am trying to do. Did you ever write down the design? Thanks

@stevanlieberman

I think I still have the main parts around here somewhere.

But you must realize that the position sensing is a light shining on a photocell and the suspended globe blocks part of the the light to the photocell. That means you will have posts hanging from the ceiling for each suspended item. (or a significant alignment problem if the lights and sensors are on walls 15 feet away)

Also the spacing between the electromagnet and the globe was around 6 inches (15cm), and the electromagnet ran too hot for continuous operation. Of course a globe that weighed less or was closer to the electromagnet would decrease the current and the temperature rise.

How are you planning to get power to the lamps?

Still Interested?
Are you comfortable and experienced working with powerline voltages?

Cheers,
Tom

You can have a levitating object with permanent fields you just need the object to be spinning like the spinning top so that the gyro effect balances the unstable magnetic positioning.
Since this has no friction I'm sure a small induction type stator coil could be used to make the object spin continually or something like that , maybe even air blowing on the object

Likes Tom.G and hutchphd

1. What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a physical phenomenon in which objects are attracted or repelled by other objects due to the presence of a magnetic field. It is caused by the motion of electric charges, such as electrons, within atoms.

2. How do magnets work?

Magnets work by creating a magnetic field, which is a region of space where magnetic forces can be detected. This field is created by the alignment of electrons in the material, which causes a north and south pole to form. Opposite poles attract each other, while like poles repel.

3. What is an electromagnet?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet that is created by passing an electric current through a coil of wire. The current creates a magnetic field around the wire, and the strength of the field can be controlled by adjusting the amount of current flowing through the wire.

4. How does electromagnetic levitation work?

Electromagnetic levitation works by using the magnetic force between an electromagnet and a magnetized object to overcome the force of gravity. By adjusting the strength of the magnetic field, the object can be suspended in mid-air, creating the illusion of levitation.

5. What are the practical applications of electromagnet levitation?

Electromagnet levitation has many practical applications, including transportation systems such as maglev trains, where the train is suspended and propelled by electromagnets. It is also used in industrial processes to move and position objects without physical contact, reducing wear and tear on machinery. In addition, it is used in scientific research to study the effects of microgravity on objects and materials.