Magnetron Electron Field Strength

In summary, the resonant frequency of 1.47×1010 s−1 and electron period of revolution of 6.80×10-11 s can be used to find the strength of the magnetic field, using the equations qvb=mv2/r and qb=mv/r. By rearranging the equations and substituting for velocity, the resulting equation is 1.6E-19*B=9.1E-31*(9.24E10R)/R, which can be solved to find the magnetic field strength of .5253 T.
haxxorboi

Homework Statement

Suppose the resonant frequency is f = 1.47×1010 s−1; that is, the electron period of revolution is T = 6.80×10-11 s. What is the corresponding strength of the magnetic field?

Homework Equations

qvb=mv2/r
qb=mv/r

The Attempt at a Solution

1.6E-19*b=9.1E-31*v/r

I understand the general idea, to figure out b, but I don't understand how to figure out Velocity or Radius from the frequency/period.

Can someone give me a point in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi haxxorboi,

haxxorboi said:

Homework Statement

Suppose the resonant frequency is f = 1.47×1010 s−1; that is, the electron period of revolution is T = 6.80×10-11 s. What is the corresponding strength of the magnetic field?

Homework Equations

qvb=mv2/r
qb=mv/r

The Attempt at a Solution

1.6E-19*b=9.1E-31*v/r

I understand the general idea, to figure out b, but I don't understand how to figure out Velocity or Radius from the frequency/period.

When they give the period, that is the period of what? In other words, if the period is 6.80×10-11 s, what happens every 6.80×10-11 seconds? Once you answer that, you should be able to write down an equation relating T, r, and v. What do you get?

alphysicist said:
Hi haxxorboi,

When they give the period, that is the period of what? In other words, if the period is 6.80×10-11 s, what happens every 6.80×10-11 seconds? Once you answer that, you should be able to write down an equation relating T, r, and v. What do you get?

Velocity=Distance/Time
Velocity=Circumference/Period
Velocity=2*Pi*R/6.8E-11 sec
Velocity=9.24E10R

1.6E-19*B=9.1E-31*(9.24E10R)/R

B=.5253 T

Thank you very much, that was killing me!

Related to Magnetron Electron Field Strength

1. What is a magnetron electron field strength?

A magnetron electron field strength is a measure of the strength of the electromagnetic field generated by the electrons in a magnetron, which is a type of vacuum tube used to generate microwaves.

2. How is magnetron electron field strength measured?

Magnetron electron field strength is typically measured using a gaussmeter, which measures the strength of a magnetic field in units of gauss. However, it can also be calculated using the current and voltage applied to the magnetron.

3. Why is magnetron electron field strength important?

Magnetron electron field strength is important because it directly affects the performance of a magnetron. A strong electron field is necessary to produce high-powered microwaves, which are used in a variety of applications such as cooking and radar systems.

4. What factors can affect magnetron electron field strength?

The main factors that can affect magnetron electron field strength are the current and voltage applied to the magnetron, the design and construction of the magnetron, and any external magnetic fields that may be present.

5. Can magnetron electron field strength be adjusted?

Yes, magnetron electron field strength can be adjusted by changing the current and voltage applied to the magnetron. However, this should only be done by trained professionals as incorrect adjustments can damage the magnetron and affect its performance.