A electron cyclotron has a frequency of 2450 Hz and a magnet

In summary: So, the answer you posted is not wrong, but it is not unique. It is only one of the possible answers.
anthonyslvtr

Homework Statement

A electron cyclotron has a frequency of 2450 Hz and a magnetic field strength of 50T.?

a) what's the speed of the electron?

b) what was the voltage on the electron gun which projected the electron into the cyclotron?

Homework Equations

Givens:
r=.4m
B=50T
f=2450Hz
q=e=-1.6E-19C
m(e)=9.1E-31kg

The Attempt at a Solution

For a) I used :

f=ω/(2pi)

and ω=v/r

to find v and got v = 616m/s

for b)

I used v = sqrt((2qV)/m) and got 1.08E-6Volts

just trying to see if I did this right...thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
anthonyslvtr said:
B=50T
f=2450Hz
At least one of those values has to be wrong. They just don't fit unless you have highly relativistic electrons, but then the .4m don't fit.
Both are strange, 50 Tesla is extremely strong and 2450 Hz is extremely low.

The approach you posted is fine if you have those values and use radius and frequency, but something is wrong with the problem statement.

Yeah this was a homework problem from a lecture book my professor wrote. Not sure if he meant for them to be realistic quantities but that's what was given. If you say the approach is right for the values then that answers my question and I appreciate it.

Well, it is not right for all the given values. Let's demonstrate that with an example where it is easier to see:

"You go from town A to town B with a constant speed of 50 kilometers per hour. The towns are 500 kilometers apart. You start at 1 pm and arrive there at 3 pm the same day. How long did your journey take?"

The numbers are clearly inconsistent. You can say "well, between 1 pm and 3 pm are two hours, so the trip took two hours!" - but you can also calculate how long it takes to go 500 km with 50 kilometers per hour - 10 hours. Which answer is correct? There is no way to tell, because the problem statement is inconsistent.
Your problem statement has the same issue. There is more than one way to calculate the speed and injection voltage, and they lead to different answers because the given numbers are inconsistent. You calculated one answer, but it is not the only one.

1. What is an electron cyclotron?

An electron cyclotron is a type of particle accelerator that uses electromagnetic fields to accelerate electrons to high energies.

2. What is the frequency of an electron cyclotron?

The frequency of an electron cyclotron is 2450 Hz, which is equivalent to 2.45 GHz (gigahertz).

3. How does an electron cyclotron work?

An electron cyclotron works by using a strong magnetic field to guide the electrons in a circular path, while simultaneously using a high-frequency electromagnetic field to accelerate the electrons.

4. What is the purpose of using a magnet in an electron cyclotron?

The magnet in an electron cyclotron is used to create a strong and uniform magnetic field that can guide the electrons in a circular path, allowing for efficient acceleration.

5. What are the applications of an electron cyclotron?

Electron cyclotrons are used in a variety of applications, including medical imaging and cancer treatment, materials research, and semiconductor manufacturing.