Magnets on Aluminium and Brass

In summary: I think I may have found a rough estimate for the minimum thickness by measuring how long it takes for the magnetic field to reverses once it has passed a fixed point. I’ll try and convert that into a frequency and then compute the skin depth.In summary, Dave found that there is no advantage to using thicker copper when it comes to generating a magnetic field. He is also trying to research the effects of eddy currents and is looking for a good source.
pete
I was torn between Materials, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering but could not think which would be the best home for this question so I’ve put it here for now.

I tore open an old exorcise bike that used a big fly wheel with magnets on a lever and a strip of copper around the rim. I could not find how thick the strip was but it was a big wheel so I was a bit surprised to see the copper, surely aluminium or bronze would do the trick at a fraction of the cost.

After thinking about it for a while I remembered Lenz’s effect is based on the generation of electrical currents so I’m guessing that the more conductive the metal the more magnetic properties it should show.

If I give Copper 100% conductivity, aluminium 61% and brass 28%. Would that then mean Copper will show three times more magnetic resistance in the same application as Brass?

As a side note, increasing the thickness of the metal should also increase the effect but I’m unsure how to find the minimum thickness, if anyone knows how to estimate the thickness of the metal in relation to the power of the magnet that would also be very helpful.

I’ve been trying to research this kind of stuff about eddy currents but am not doing very well at the moment so being pointed in the direction of a good source would also be very helpful.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Pete :smile:

pete said:
After thinking about it for a while I remembered Lenz’s effect is based on the generation of electrical currents so I’m guessing that the more conductive the metal the more magnetic properties it should show.

not sure what you mean by "magnetic properties" ?
copper is non-magnetic

pete said:
If I give Copper 100% conductivity, aluminium 61% and brass 28%. Would that then mean Copper will show three times more magnetic resistance in the same application as Brass?

again, what do you mean by "magnetic resistance" ?

pete said:
As a side note, increasing the thickness of the metal should also increase the effect but I’m unsure how to find the minimum thickness, if anyone knows how to estimate the thickness of the metal in relation to the power of the magnet that would also be very helpful.

well for the 3 metals you mentioned ... copper, aluminium and brass, it's irrelevant, as none of them are magnetic
pete said:
I’ve been trying to research this kind of stuff about eddy currents but am not doing very well at the moment so being pointed in the direction of a good source would also be very helpful.
now eddy currents and their effects are a whole different ball game

a good experiment for you to try is to drop a bar magnet down an aluminium tube and see what happens

I won't give you the answer, instead you try it and see if you can explain what you observe happening because of eddy currents :smile:

report back with your findingsDave

pete said:
Find out how much time it takes for the magnetic reversal in the copper as the magnets pass a fixed point. Convert that time to a frequency.
With that frequency, you can compute the skin depth for the copper. There is no advantage in using thicker copper.

Thanks for the help guys, sorry about the delayed I’m away from the screen at the mo.
That was a bit unclear. I’m talking about the Magnetic field generated by the eddy currents in the different metals described and asking if the strength of the field is directly proportional to the conductivity of the metal.
So for the example I gave would the field in copper be three times stronger than the one generated in the aluminium?
I’m presuming it corresponds to the conductivity and I’ll get some aluminium and copper plates into test both and I’m guessing that though the copper will produce a stronger magnetic field I can't imagine it being three times stronger than the copper? But that’s just from my limited experience fiddling with these things.
Thanks for the help on the thickness question by the way.

What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to investigate the effects of magnets on different types of metals, specifically aluminium and brass. By observing how the magnets interact with these metals, we can gain a better understanding of the properties of each material and their relationship with magnetic fields.

What materials are needed for this experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include: a strong magnet, a piece of aluminium, a piece of brass, a ruler, and a pen or marker for labeling. It is also helpful to have a flat surface to conduct the experiment on and a notebook for recording observations.

How do magnets interact with aluminium and brass?

Magnets interact with aluminium in a unique way due to the metal's low magnetic permeability. This means that aluminium is not easily magnetized and will not retain its magnetic properties once the magnet is removed. On the other hand, brass has a higher magnetic permeability and can retain some magnetism when exposed to a magnet, although not as much as iron or steel.

What are the potential applications of this experiment?

This experiment can have various applications in industries such as engineering, materials science, and manufacturing. Understanding the magnetic properties of different metals can aid in the design and production of products that require specific levels of magnetism, such as motors or generators.

What are some possible sources of error in this experiment?

Some possible sources of error in this experiment include the strength of the magnet used, the distance between the magnet and the metal, and the surface of the metal. Small variations in these factors can affect the results of the experiment. Additionally, the presence of other magnetic fields in the environment can also influence the interactions between the magnets and metals.