Magnitude of electric field with square loop

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude of the electric field generated by a square loop made up of four identical charged wires. The electric field can be calculated using the equation E = (2kλ)(L/x)(4x2 + L^2)^-1/2, where x = (z^2 + (L/2)^2)^1/2 and z is the distance above the center of the loop. The result from problem 21-46 can be simplified and then the symmetry of the situation can be used to add the four components of the electric field together. The simplified equation can be found in example 2.3 and should be checked against the result from problem 21-46.
py208

Homework Statement

The square loop shown below is made up of four identical wires of length scripted l = 18 cm each charged with a linear density λ = 18 nC/m.

Find the magnitude of the electric field at a distance z = scripted l/2 above the center of the loop.

Homework Equations

Start by first simplifying the result from problem 21-46,
E = (2kλ)(L/x)(4x2 + L^2)^-1/2
where x = (z^2 + (L/2)^2)^1/2. Then make use of the symmetry of the situation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used this equation to solve and got 335.53967, But I don't know what to do after this, or if this number is even right. Help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you want to show a bit more. Not numbers, but what variables stand for. I suppose (what else can I do) that 21-46 asks for the electric field on the Perpendicular Bisector of a charged rod ? this link, example 2.3 works that out very nicely.

Does that check with your 21-46 result ?
It looks to me as if your z is his (/her) y

I think I see a difference, so I might misinterpret the situatiuon.

Anyway, it simplifies a lot if z = L/2.

The next step is to add the four ##\vec E## with simple trigoniometry.

Related to Magnitude of electric field with square loop

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnitude of electric field with a square loop?

The formula for calculating the magnitude of electric field with a square loop is E = (kQ)/(2a√2), where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the square loop, and a is the length of one side of the square.

2. How does the magnitude of electric field change as the distance from the square loop increases?

The magnitude of electric field decreases as the distance from the square loop increases. This is because the electric field follows the inverse square law, meaning it decreases with the square of the distance.

3. Can the magnitude of electric field be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of electric field can be negative. This occurs when the electric field is directed in the opposite direction of the positive charge, indicating a repulsive force.

4. How does the magnitude of electric field differ at different points on the square loop?

The magnitude of electric field is not constant at different points on the square loop. It is strongest at the corners, where the distance from the charge to the point is the shortest, and weakest at the center, where the distance is the greatest.

5. What are some applications of the magnitude of electric field with square loop?

The magnitude of electric field with square loop is used in various applications such as electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and positron emission tomography (PET).