Magnitude of the Magnetic Field near a Circuit Inclined at an Angle

In summary, Mark was trying to calculate the magnitude of the magnetic force on a wire that is sliding down an incline. He used the equation for the net force in the x direction and solved for the magnitude of the magnetic force. However, he got two different answers depending on whether the wire is just about to start sliding down the slope or up the slope. The answer for the wire just about to start sliding down the slope is the second answer and the answer for the wire up the slope is the first answer.
Mark Zhu
Homework Statement
Consider a circuit composed of two parallel metal tracks, a generator which produces a constant current i, and a straight wire, mass m, which can slide along the tracks. The coefficient of friction between the wire and the tracks is "mu" and the tracks are "l" apart. Suppose there were a constant, vertical "vector B" field. Relate the magnitude of "vector B" to the angle the tracks make with the horizontal, "theta," assuming that "theta" has the maximum value it can have without the wire starting to move.
Relevant Equations
Vector F = q * (vector v x vector B)
F_s = mu * n
For the front wire, I got the magnitude of the magnetic field in terms of the magnitude of the magnetic force, the current, "l," and the "theta". I am unsure how to proceed because I thought that the magnetic force is independent of any other forces. I am also just lost in general. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20190622_151957.jpg
    IMG_20190622_151957.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 269
Physics news on Phys.org
This is mainly a mechanics problem. Start with a carefully drawn free-body diagram for the wire that can slide.

Make sure you are visualizing the set-up correctly. The picture that was given is not great.

Ok, is the main idea that the magnetic force and friction force counter the gravitational force experienced by the wire, thus, keeping it stationary?

I think you have the right idea.

After separating the force on the wire into x and y components on the incline, I used the equation for the net force in the x direction and solved for the magnitude of the magnetic force:
B = (mg(sin(theta) - mu*cos(theta))/(i*l*cos(theta)*sin(theta))
According to the book, the numerator for this answer is correct, but the numerator is i*l*(cos(theta) + mu * sin(theta))
and I am not sure why. Any help would be appreciated.

?
Mark Zhu said:
After separating the force on the wire into x and y components on the incline, I used the equation for the net force in the x direction and solved for the magnitude of the magnetic force:
B = (mg(sin(theta) - mu*cos(theta))/(i*l*cos(theta)*sin(theta))
According to the book, the numerator for this answer is correct, but the numerator is i*l*(cos(theta) + mu * sin(theta))
and I am not sure why. Any help would be appreciated.
Mark, I would need to see the specific steps of your work in order to identify your error. Please specify the orientation of your x and y-axes. What forces act on the wire? What expressions did you get for the x and y components of each of these forces?

I have lined up my x-axis along the incline and the y-axis perpendicular to it, both in the plane of the page. Positive x direction is going down the incline going towards the right. For the net force on the wire in the x direction, my equation was:

m * g * sin(theta) - Mu * F_n - i * l * B * sin(theta)^2 = 0

Where
F_n = m * g * cos(theta)
is the normal force on the wire.

The first term in the equation is the x component of the gravitational force on the wire; the second term is the static frictional force; the third term is the magnetic force.

For the net force on the wire in the y direction, I just got that the magnetic force times cos(theta) equals 0.

I solved for B from the first equation.

I'm not sure where I went wrong.
Thanks a lot for helping.

Mark Zhu said:
m * g * sin(theta) - Mu * F_n - i * l * B * sin(theta)^2 = 0
sin2θ is not the correct factor for getting the x component of the magnetic force. What is the direction of the total magnetic force on the wire?

Where
F_n = m * g * cos(theta)
Both mg and Fmag will contribute to the normal force.

For the net force on the wire in the y direction, I just got that the magnetic force times cos(theta) equals 0.
If Fmag cosθ = 0, then wouldn't that imply that Fmag = 0?

[Note that there is a toolbar where you can find tools for superscripts, math symbols, etc.]

After your help, I got one right answer. However, there are two answers for B and I'm not sure why. I got the answer labeled in my book as (Ready to slide down). There is a second value for B with switched signs in the numerator and denominator that is labeled (Ready to slide up). I'm not sure what this second answer is.

The problem statement implies that you are considering a situation where the wire is on the verge of slipping. But it does not state whether the wire is just about to start sliding down the slope or up the slope. The answer is different for these two cases. Think about the direction of the friction force for each case.

I understand now. Thank you for all your time and help.

What is the magnitude of the magnetic field near a circuit inclined at an angle?

The magnitude of the magnetic field near a circuit inclined at an angle depends on the current flowing through the circuit, the distance from the circuit, and the angle of inclination.

How is the magnitude of the magnetic field affected by the current in the circuit?

The magnitude of the magnetic field near a circuit is directly proportional to the current flowing through the circuit. This means that as the current increases, the magnetic field also increases.

Does the distance from the circuit affect the magnitude of the magnetic field?

Yes, the magnitude of the magnetic field near a circuit decreases as the distance from the circuit increases. This is because the magnetic field follows an inverse-square law, meaning it gets weaker as the distance increases.

What effect does the angle of inclination have on the magnitude of the magnetic field?

The angle of inclination also affects the magnitude of the magnetic field. The closer the circuit is to being parallel with the observer, the stronger the magnetic field will be. As the angle of inclination approaches 90 degrees, the magnetic field approaches zero.

What units are used to measure the magnitude of the magnetic field?

The magnitude of the magnetic field is measured in units of tesla (T). In some cases, it may also be measured in units of gauss (G), with 1 T equal to 10,000 G.