Magnitudes of Velocity and Acceleration

In summary, the task at hand is to determine the magnitude of velocity and acceleration for an aircraft moving away from a fixed position, using the given equations and programming it into FORTRAN. The finite difference method is recommended for calculating the derivatives and for time 0, a forward difference approach can be used.
Tom Lor

Homework Statement

I need to determine the magnitude of velocity and acceleration for an aircraft moving away from a fixed position (for example a radar station). I need to calculate the magnitude of velocity and acceleration for each time step.

The following table of information is given
prob.jpg

Homework Equations

The magnitude of velocity is given as
[tex]\sqrt{(\frac{dr}{dt})^2+(r\frac{d\theta}{dt})^2}[/tex]

And acceleration
[tex][\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}-r(\frac{d\theta}{dt})^2]^2+[r\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}+2\frac{dr}{dt}\frac{d\theta}{dt}]^2[/tex]

3.0 Attempt
I am currently in the process of programming this into FORTRAN to get results but I am struggling to work out how to calculate. I am just hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I know I need to calculate the first and second derivatives but the fact I need to take an angle into account is confusing me somewhat. Also to add, how can I calculate a magnitude of velocity for time 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tom Lor said:
I am currently in the process of programming this into FORTRAN to get results but I am struggling to work out how to calculate. I am just hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
The best is to use the finite difference method.
Tom Lor said:
Also to add, how can I calculate a magnitude of velocity for time 0?
There are different approaches you can take. The simplest is to used a forward difference, which uses only information at the current and later times.

Thanks for that, I will try and implement into my program!

Related to Magnitudes of Velocity and Acceleration

1. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity refers to the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time, while acceleration refers to the rate of change of an object's velocity with respect to time. Basically, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving and in what direction, while acceleration tells us how much an object's velocity is changing.

2. How are velocity and acceleration related?

Velocity and acceleration are related because acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. This means that when an object's velocity changes, its acceleration also changes. If an object's velocity is increasing, it has a positive acceleration, while a decreasing velocity results in negative acceleration.

3. What are the units of velocity and acceleration?

The units of velocity are typically measured in meters per second (m/s), while acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2). However, other units such as miles per hour (mph) and feet per second squared (ft/s^2) can also be used.

4. How do we calculate the magnitude of velocity and acceleration?

The magnitude of velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's position by the change in time. This is represented by the formula v = Δx/Δt. The magnitude of acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the change in time. This is represented by the formula a = Δv/Δt.

5. What is the difference between average and instantaneous velocity and acceleration?

Average velocity and acceleration are calculated over a certain period of time, while instantaneous velocity and acceleration are calculated at a specific moment in time. Average velocity and acceleration give us a general idea of an object's motion, while instantaneous velocity and acceleration give us a more precise understanding of an object's motion at a specific point in time.