Main Sequence Star Mass: Star 1, 2 & 3 Comparison

In summary, the three main sequence stars discussed have varying characteristics, including a lifespan of 4.5 billion years for Star 1, a spectral type of M5 for Star 2, and the same luminosity as the Sun for Star 3. It is uncertain which star has the greatest mass or if they are all approximately the same, as there is insufficient information provided. However, it is known that main sequence stars of the same mass generally have similar radii and temperatures.
Sastronaut

Homework Statement

consider the information given below about three main sequence stars. Star 1 will be a main sequence star for 4.5 billion years. Star 2 has a spectral type of M5. Star 3 has the same luminosity as the Sun. Which has the greatest mass or are they approx. the same?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Spectral class M5 tells me that the star is cool, dim, and small. I know that the sun has been on main sequence longer than 4.5 billion years and will remain on it longer than that. I know that the life time of a star is related to their mass. So after pondering the question i believe the answer is Star 1 b/c it will have a shorter life span than star 2 and 3 which to me indicated it is a relatively more massive star. Though is my thought process correct? Could stars 1, 2, and 3 all have approx the same mass? any help would be great thanks pf!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your analysis is correct.

Likes 1 person
the only issue i have is that the luminosity is proportion to AT^4 so star two could be large and hence have more mass...any thoughts? i can say that i there is insufficient info to answer

Main sequence stars of the same mass all have about the same radius and temperature. So the main sequence star with the same luminosity as the sun has about the same mass as the sun. It's true that a red giant could be spectral type M5 and be larger and have more mass than the sun. But a red giant is not a main sequence star.

Sastronaut said:
the only issue i have is that the luminosity is proportion to AT^4 so star two could be large and hence have more mass...any thoughts? i can say that i there is insufficient info to answer
That is the best answer (insufficient info). All you know about star 2 is its color, and hence its surface temperature). You don't know whether it is a red dwarf, a red giant, or even a red supergiant.

There is a definitive answer if you know that all three stars are main sequence stars (which is what the title of the thread suggests).

Your absolutely correct and I recognized that shortly after posting! thank you DH!

1. What is a main sequence star?

A main sequence star is a star that is in the longest and most stable stage of its life. It is primarily composed of hydrogen and helium, and is undergoing nuclear fusion in its core to produce energy and heat. Our Sun is an example of a main sequence star.

2. How is the mass of a main sequence star determined?

The mass of a main sequence star is determined through observations of its luminosity and temperature. These values are then compared to theoretical models of stars to estimate the mass.

3. What is the relationship between mass and lifespan of a main sequence star?

The more massive a main sequence star is, the shorter its lifespan will be. This is because more massive stars have a higher core temperature and burn through their fuel at a faster rate.

4. How do the masses of stars 1, 2, and 3 compare to each other?

Based on current observations, star 1 has the highest mass, followed by star 2, and then star 3. However, these masses may change over time as the stars continue to evolve.

5. What factors can affect the mass of a main sequence star?

The mass of a main sequence star can be affected by its initial composition, the rate at which it is accreting material, and any interactions with other stars in its vicinity. Additionally, the mass can also change as the star goes through different stages of its life, such as when it runs out of fuel and expands into a red giant.