Major change of mind about my Major....

In summary, you should change your major to physics, and if you're not happy with the program you're taking, consider transferring to a different school.
Maple Leaf
Hello friends. I'm an economics major who felt too unconfident in his math skills to enter physics. Two semesters into college, I realize that I know enough math for intro courses.

So, to be honest, I'm considering returning to physics. However, I have taken (and will take) NO math or physics courses this semester, and I must take eight general education courses over the remaining three years, which is insane. I'm not a fan of that. With all that said, how could I ever major in physics? How could I get a better background in math while I'm at it? This is stressful.

Likes Logical Dog
Physics news on Phys.org
Maple Leaf said:
Hello friends. I'm an economics major who felt too unconfident in his math skills to enter physics. Two semesters into college, I realize that I know enough math for intro courses.

So, to be honest, I'm considering returning to physics. However, I have taken (and will take) NO math or physics courses this semester, and I must take eight general education courses over the remaining three years, which is insane. I'm not a fan of that. With all that said, how could I ever major in physics? How could I get a better background in math while I'm at it? This is stressful.

Why're you stressed? You already know what you have to do it sounds like.

You should go ahead and get on the track for physics majors. This means doing the calculus series, linear algebra, lower division differential equations if offered, along with basic mechanics/E&M/waves/optics with any other requirements like chemsitry. Then complete upper division coursework.

If you declared an econ major change it and talk to your advisor about your desires.

If it takes an extra year to get back on track that's what it takes. Some of your econ classes should count towards GE's though.

Likes Logical Dog and symbolipoint
Three years is longer than necessary to get done with your general education course requirements. They should be finished in two years OR LESS. Once nearly done with them, load-up on the Mathematics and Physics courses as best you can and focus intensely on them.

Maple Leaf said:

Well, to major in physics, you would start by changing your major to physics. I suspect that part of the stress is due to you trying to optimize the problem so that you'll finish in four years. That might be possible. If you switch your major to physics, then your economics classes will likely become your general education classes. But you might have to bite the bullet and tack on another year to fit in everything that you need to learn if you really want to major in physics. This is where consulting your school's academic advisor will come in handy. That person will best know how to navigate your system.

The other thing to consider is changing schools if you're not happy with the specifics of the program you're taking. Assuming you're in North America there are a lot of different educational options with varying degrees of general education requirements. That said, don't discount the value of a diverse education.

Likes Logical Dog
Have you talked to anyone in the physics department about this yet? They've probably dealt with students switching into physics in sophomore year before, and can advise you about how to arrange your courses.

Thanks everyone! I should've mentioned that all eight remaining GE courses are "fixed," per se. I know what all of them must be. You see, I'm in a special program within Boston University (the College of General Studies, but there's no need, of course, to look into that), which loves GE to death. Transferring does sound good, but I'd rather not lose what's almost a full ride.

I'll talk to a CGS advisor who understands the insane system, then a physics advisor who understands all the rest.

To the rest of PF, here is the curriculum of the College of General Studies at Boston University:

http://www.bu.edu/cgs/files/2016/06/Core-Curriculum-062816_September-Program.pdf

Likes Maple Leaf
Maple Leaf said:
Transferring does sound good, but I'd rather not lose what's almost a full ride.

For what it's worth, a free ride to San Francisco is great, but if your goal is to get to New York it's not going to help you much. (I know that's an extreme analogy - just something to consider from an outsider's point of view.)

Maple Leaf said:
Transferring does sound good, but I'd rather not lose what's almost a full ride.

How long do you keep your almost full ride? Does it only go for four years, or would you be able to add another year? If not, how much is your cost of attendance, and what other financial aid options would you have for a fifth year?

rwm4768 said:
How long do you keep your almost full ride? Does it only go for four years, or would you be able to add another year? If not, how much is your cost of attendance, and what other financial aid options would you have for a fifth year?
Unless I am granted a special appeal (no guarantees), four years. Otherwise, the fifth year would cost at least $60,000, and I would have to look into outside scholarships.

On the bright side, a physics degree can be completed at BU in three years. I learned that earlier. However, there would be little room for math (or even chemistry) courses. The latter is problematic because I want a PhD in atmospheric science, and, well, chemistry is quite important in that field.

Maple Leaf said:
Unless I am granted a special appeal (no guarantees), four years. Otherwise, the fifth year would cost at least $60,000, and I would have to look into outside scholarships.

On the bright side, a physics degree can be completed at BU in three years. I learned that earlier. However, there would be little room for math (or even chemistry) courses. The latter is problematic because I want a PhD in atmospheric science, and, well, chemistry is quite important in that field.

You can't, or shouldn't, be able to do a physics degree with little math. What did you mean by that? (What courses are required for the major?)

Not all schools require chemistry, it's kinda sort of nice to have for some early physics courses a basic background in chemistry, but is by no means a show stopper. You'll pick up a lot of chemistry in physics.

Student100 said:
You can't, or shouldn't, be able to do a physics degree with little math. What did you mean by that? (What courses are required for the major?)

Not all schools require chemistry, it's kinda sort of nice to have for some early physics courses a basic background in chemistry, but is by no means a show stopper. You'll pick up a lot of chemistry in physics.
For math, BU requires nothing more than multivariate calculus and one additional higher-level elective. Thus, although I can choose between, say, differential equations and linear algebra, taking both would be quite difficult for scheduling purposes.

Maple Leaf said:
For math, BU requirez nothing more than multivariate calculus and one additional higher-level elective. Thus, although I can choose between, say, differential equations and linear algebra, taking both would be diffi ult for scheduling purposes.

I would take linear over differential equations.

Do your physics courses include a mathematical methods course? If not: definitely going to want to pick up a copy of http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/mat...Google_&sourceId=PLGoP20456&k_clickid=3x20456 and work through it.

Maple Leaf said:
For math, BU requires nothing more than multivariate calculus and one additional higher-level elective. Thus, although I can choose between, say, differential equations and linear algebra, taking both would be quite difficult for scheduling purposes.

Just looked it up myself since I assume you're new to this. The answer to the above is yes it does:

PY355

Credits:
Undergraduate Prerequisites:
CAS PY 251 ; CAS PY 252 ; CAS MA 225 or CAS PY 211 ; CAS PY 212 ; CAS MA 225; or consent of instructor.
First and second order ordinary differential equations. Partial differential equations (waves, heat, Schrödinger) and series solutions of differential equations. Vectors and vector calculus. Matrices, matrix algebra, and matrix transformations. Rotations, similarity, unitarity, hermiticity, eigenvalues, and eigenvectors.

Which sounds like a methods class.

Make sure you're on the graduate track, and not that other one/teaching one.

https://edit.bu.edu/files/0/ugrad-graduate-form.pdf

It gives you some recommend electives and what not. Your adviser should be helping here.

Make sure you also add some basic programming experience in there somewhere.

Maple Leaf said:
That much and kind of mathematics is a minimum for Physics people. They often WANT or need more.

symbolipoint said:
That much and kind of mathematics is a minimum for Physics people. They often WANT or need more.
Yeah, I'll have to ask the department what's up with that.
Student100 said:
I would take linear over differential equations.

Do your physics courses include a mathematical methods course? If not: definitely going to want to pick up a copy of http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/mat...Google_&sourceId=PLGoP20456&k_clickid=3x20456 and work through it.
Thanks! I own something similar (Riley). And regarding the methods course, thanks for that too. It almost evaded me!

So I dropped this semester's economics course and replaced it with Calculus I. Let's see if I can learn over a week's missed material.

Maple Leaf said:

I did one semester of economics and got out with basic calculus and game theory, along with management. I don't know what courses in math you have taken so far, but I feel You are ready to do the intro physics courses. The thinking in economics is also similar to physics in a sense you have modelling and you need to apply the theorems and etc...so I wouldn't worry. It's all mental, have faith in your abilities and work hard. Everything else will follow, no need to stress..good luck.

What are some reasons for changing my major?

Some common reasons for changing your major include realizing that your current major is not aligned with your interests or career goals, discovering a new passion or interest, receiving poor grades in your current major, or experiencing a change in personal circumstances.

How do I know if changing my major is the right decision?

It is important to carefully consider your reasons for wanting to change your major and to speak with an academic advisor or career counselor. They can help you explore your options and determine if a change is the best choice for you. Additionally, researching the requirements and job prospects for your new major can help you make an informed decision.

Will changing my major delay my graduation?

It depends on how much coursework you have completed in your current major and how different your new major is. Some majors have similar requirements, allowing for a smooth transition, while others may require you to take additional courses. Speaking with an academic advisor can help you determine how long it may take to graduate with your new major.

Can I change my major more than once?

Yes, it is possible to change your major more than once. However, it is important to carefully consider your decision and to avoid changing your major too frequently, as it can delay your graduation and may not look favorable to potential employers.

How will changing my major affect my financial aid?

Changing your major may affect your financial aid if it requires you to take additional courses or if it changes your eligibility for certain scholarships or grants. It is important to speak with a financial aid advisor to understand how your decision may impact your financial aid package.