Majorana Lagrangian and Majorana/Dirac matrices

In summary, the Lancaster & Burnell book "QFT for the gifted amateur" explains that the Majorana matrices can be used in the Dirac equation to describe a fermion that is its own antiparticle. However, when developing the Majorana Lagrangian, the usual Dirac ##\gamma## matrices are used instead of the Majorana ones. This is because there is no unitary transformation between the two sets of matrices, leading to different physics with antiparticles in one case and none in the other. The difference can be seen in problem 2 of the "FU-ubungen" document, where the first ##U## should have a ##-\sigma^2## at the bottom left.
mbond
In Lancaster & Burnell book, "QFT for the gifted amateur", chapter 48, it is explained that, with a special set of ##\gamma## matrices, the Majorana ones, the Dirac equation may describe a fermion which is its own antiparticle.

Then, a Majorana Lagrangian is considered:
##\mathcal{L}=\bar{\nu}i\gamma^\mu\partial_{\mu}\nu- ##mass terms
where ##\nu## is for the Majorana fields. This Lagrangian is developed, using the usual Dirac ##\gamma## matrices and not the Majorana ones, and good looking Dirac equations are obtained.

My question is: why using the Dirac matrices to develop the Lagrangian instead of the Majorana ones? If I try the calculation with the Majorana ##\gamma## I obtain odd looking equations that don't look right.

Thank you for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at exercise (36.4).

>
George Jones said:
Look at exercise (36.4).
Thank you. But is there a unitary transformation between the Majorana ##\bar\gamma## matrices and the Dirac ##\gamma## matrices? I don't think so, for example ##U\bar\gamma^0=\gamma^0U => U=0##. Actually the physics is different with the two sets of matrices, with antiparticle in one case and no antiparticle in the other.

mbond said:
using the usual Dirac ##\gamma## matrices and not the Majorana ones

What do you mean by "usual Dirac ##\gamma## matrices"?

mbond said:
Thank you. But is there a unitary transformation between the Majorana ##\bar\gamma## matrices and the Dirac ##\gamma## matrices?

Which "representation" of the (Dirac) gamma matrices? Dirac? Weyl/chiral (as on page 324)?

See problem 2 of
http://users.physik.fu-berlin.de/~jizba/FU-petr/FU-ubungen.pdf

I think that the first ##U## in the problem should have a ##-\sigma^2## at the bottom left.

Likes mbond

1. What is the Majorana Lagrangian?

The Majorana Lagrangian is a mathematical expression that describes the dynamics of Majorana particles, which are hypothetical particles that are their own antiparticles. It is a special case of the Dirac Lagrangian, with the mass term set to zero.

2. What are Majorana/Dirac matrices?

Majorana/Dirac matrices are a set of matrices used to describe the properties of fermions, including both Majorana and Dirac particles. They are complex matrices that satisfy a set of mathematical equations known as the Majorana condition, which ensures the particle's self-conjugate nature.

3. How are the Majorana Lagrangian and Majorana/Dirac matrices related?

The Majorana Lagrangian is derived from the Majorana/Dirac matrices, as it is built upon the concept of Majorana particles. The matrices are used to describe the particle's properties, and the Lagrangian is used to describe its dynamics.

4. What are the applications of the Majorana Lagrangian and Majorana/Dirac matrices?

The Majorana Lagrangian and Majorana/Dirac matrices are primarily used in theoretical physics, specifically in the study of particle physics. They are essential in understanding the properties and behavior of Majorana particles, which have important implications in cosmology and the search for dark matter.

5. Are Majorana particles experimentally proven to exist?

No, Majorana particles have not yet been experimentally proven to exist. They are still considered as hypothetical particles, and their existence is currently being investigated through various experiments, such as the search for neutrinoless double-beta decay and the study of dark matter.