Majoring in Engineering Physics?

In summary, the conversation focused on the question of whether Engineering Physics would be a good starting point for someone who wants to become an engineer, but is unsure of which specific field to pursue. The speakers suggested comparing the curriculum of an EP program with other engineering disciplines and also considering one's interests and potential specialty by the end of the second year of college. They also discussed the differences between EP and more specific engineering degrees, such as aerospace or electrical, and advised the individual to research their university's courses to determine the best fit for their goals.
Elbobo
Is this generally recommended if one plans on goin to grad school in something a little more specific? What are the disadvantages of this degree versus a more specific engineering degree, like aerospace or electrical?

I want to become an engineer, but I'm not sure what kind yet, as I'm still in high school. But as college looms near, I feel that I should start preparations for something a little more specified. Would Engineering Physics be an advised start for me, as its generality covers most engineering disciplines?

Engineering disciplines that I will not touch though:
-Bioengineering
-Chemical engineering
-Computer engineering/science

Physics news on Phys.org
I would recommend comparing curricula of an EP program with those of EE, MechE, AeroE, and see where they overlap. Most science and engineering programs start with basic math and physics courses in the freshman year. Usually, one has technical electives, so one can always take additional physics or engineering courses depending on one's interests. By the end of the 2nd year, students are encouraged to decide a specialty in which to major.

I know in some universities engineering physics refers much more heavily to a program weighted in things like atomic physics and the engineering of nuclear facilities, rather than a general physics of engineering degree, whereas their material science type majors are much more in line with that sort of thing. Same sort of idea for chemical engineering. You might want to look at your university's courses in the last two years for engineering physics, and just begin with an engineering physics or other discipline. Like astronuc said, it's the end of the second year that counts. The first two are always more or less the same and are usually designed to give you a broad enough overview of what you might want to specialize in.

Related to Majoring in Engineering Physics?

What is engineering physics?

Engineering physics is a discipline that combines principles of both engineering and physics to solve real-world problems. It focuses on the application of fundamental laws of physics to design and develop new technologies, systems, and devices.

What are the job opportunities for engineering physics majors?

Engineering physics majors have a wide range of career options in industries such as aerospace, energy, electronics, and telecommunications. They can work as research scientists, design engineers, consultants, or educators.

What skills do I need to succeed in engineering physics?

To succeed in engineering physics, you need a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. You should also have critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills. Additionally, creativity, attention to detail, and perseverance are essential qualities for an engineering physicist.

Is engineering physics a difficult major?

Engineering physics can be challenging as it requires a strong understanding of both engineering and physics principles. However, with dedication and hard work, it is a rewarding and fulfilling major that can lead to exciting career opportunities.

What are the benefits of majoring in engineering physics?

Majoring in engineering physics can provide you with a strong foundation in both engineering and physics, making you a versatile and highly sought-after professional. It also offers the opportunity to work on cutting-edge technologies and solve complex problems, making a significant impact in various industries. Additionally, engineering physics majors typically have high earning potential and job stability.