Making a bolt of lightning travel in a straight direction?

In summary: Doubly interesting. What would the propagation speed of lightning be in space?We are not just propagating a field at light speed, but rather massive charged particles.
billingtame
Why does a bolt of lightning crackle into many different directions when it travels to the ground?

Can a bolt of lightning be made to travel in straight direction, is it theoretically possible to understand and control lightning?

Science news on Phys.org
billingtame said:
Why does a bolt of lightning crackle into many different directions when it travels to the ground?
Because it minimizes electric resistance, which varies a lot in space and time.
Can a bolt of lightning be made to travel in straight direction, is it theoretically possible to understand and control lightning?
You mean, without the usage of a solid conductor? I've recently seen an experiment on TV in which they tried to use a beam of Argon gas to conduct the lightning. The results have been pretty poor, although they've managed to reduce the amount of possible paths.

Likes sophiecentaur
Google "rocket triggered lightning"

02fe805856221168377932ec376942bf.jpg

Edit: I found a previous thread on this question.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/why-is-lightning-jagged.819060/

Likes NascentOxygen
Thanks for all the replies guys!

I think there are electrical discharges between Jupiter and one of its moons, Io. I wonder what those would look like? In the planet's atmosphere they would show up as visible bolts among the clouds, and on the ground of Io you might see trails being etched in the surface and dust or sputtered rock being thrown around, though in the vacuum between the pair I guess we'd see nothing to betray the passage of current.

However, on its passage through that inner space would it be following a smooth path, a straight line or something like a helix?

NascentOxygen said:
I think there are electrical discharges between Jupiter and one of its moons, Io. I wonder what those would look like? In the planet's atmosphere they would show up as visible bolts among the clouds, and on the ground of Io you might see trails being etched in the surface and dust or sputtered rock being thrown around, though in the vacuum between the pair I guess we'd see nothing to betray the passage of current.

However, on its passage through that inner space would it be following a smooth path, a straight line or something like a helix?

That's an interesting question. In the vacuum of space it may indeed go in a straight line, or in a curve because of magnetic fields, but how would we observe it?

The more I learn about Io, the more it sounds like a hell. If you're not boiled in a lake of molten sulfur, you are crushed by the tides, or baked in a volcano, and now you tell me that I'll be bombarded by lightning. Sounds like something from Dante.

What is the breakdown voltage of the roughly 350,000 km of near vacuum between Jupiter and Io?

anorlunda said:
That's an interesting question. In the vacuum of space it may indeed go in a straight line, or in a curve because of magnetic fields, but how would we observe it?

The more I learn about Io, the more it sounds like a hell. If you're not boiled in a lake of molten sulfur, you are crushed by the tides, or baked in a volcano, and now you tell me that I'll be bombarded by lightning. Sounds like something from Dante.

What is the breakdown voltage of the roughly 350,000 km of near vacuum between Jupiter and Io?

Vacuum breakdown is a common topic in accelerator physics, since we are dealing with extremely high gradients and in UHV conditions. So yes, they can be observed simply via the emission of light and the change in the RF signal being sent into the structure (forward and reflected power).

The thing here is that a vacuum breakdown, at least in the current, most accepted model, will still require the presence of residual gasses, either due to outgassing, heating, or particle bombardment. This is the only way for there to be gas ionization that will create the "light" one observes when there is a breakdown.

This is one such example of the study of vacuum breakdown in a metallic electrode.

http://physics.aps.org/story/v19/st4

Zz.

If discharge is continuous at least in the short term, could plasma jets extend into space?

NascentOxygen said:
If discharge is continuous at least in the short term, could plasma jets extend into space?

Doubly interesting. What would the propagation speed of lightning be in space? We are not just propagating a field at light speed, but rather massive charged particles.

In real Jovian life, it could be very complicated because moons like Io eject matter in streams in the orbital trail of the moon. Those streams may extend downward in a spiral towards the atmosphere. Off the top of my head, it sounds like a discharge would find less resistance following those streams instead of jumping across a vacuum in a straight line.

1. How can I make a bolt of lightning travel in a straight direction?

To make a bolt of lightning travel in a straight direction, you would need to create a path of least resistance for the electricity to follow. This can be achieved by using a conductive material, such as a metal wire or rod, to guide the lightning in the desired direction.

2. Is it possible to control the direction of lightning?

While it is not possible to directly control the direction of lightning, it is possible to manipulate the path it takes by creating a conductive path or using lightning rods. However, the ultimate direction of the lightning is determined by atmospheric conditions and the path of least resistance.

3. Why does lightning typically travel in a zigzag pattern?

Lightning typically travels in a zigzag pattern because it follows the path of least resistance. As the bolt of electricity travels through the air, it will follow the path of ionized air particles, which creates the characteristic jagged appearance.

4. Can lightning be redirected once it has been generated?

Once lightning has been generated, it cannot be redirected. However, it can be guided or redirected before it is generated. This is why lightning rods are often placed on top of tall buildings to guide the lightning away from the structure.

5. What factors determine the direction of lightning?

The direction of lightning is primarily determined by the path of least resistance. This is influenced by the conductivity of the materials in the surrounding area, as well as the atmospheric conditions such as wind and temperature. The presence of lightning rods or other conductive materials can also play a role in guiding the direction of lightning.