Making an Armature from scratch

• Thread starter FreddieAzoth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    scratch
In summary, making an armature from scratch involves creating a skeletal framework for a sculpture or other three-dimensional object. This process typically involves constructing a wire frame and then covering it with a material such as clay or paper mache. The armature serves as the foundation for the final piece, providing support and structure while also allowing for adjustments and additions to be made during the sculpting process. While it may be a time-consuming and intricate process, making an armature from scratch allows for complete creative control and can result in a more unique and personalized end product.
FreddieAzoth
TL;DR Summary
Making an Armature from scratch.
Im new to electrical engineering and wanted to make an Armature from scratch, if anyone knows the parts or an estimated cost of the item that would be appreciated. Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
:welcome:
Armature usually means the rotating part of a dynamo or motor or generator. ( Although it's possible to do it inside out.)

To be useful, the armature needs to be matched with a stator (the part that doesn't rotate.) What size and type of stator do you have? Usually, there is a nameplate on the stator. A photo of that nameplate would be helpful.

Likes FreddieAzoth
Currently I do not have any sort of equipment including a stator, but I shall look into how to get one. Thanks

We made electrical motors as a project in High School.

I made mine out of Bic pens wound with copper wire. (Note: do not use Bic pens - or any kind of soft plastic - as the core of your winding coils!)

I was impressed when my academically-inclined (ex)-girlfriend produced her own tiny electric motor made out of paper clips. It was no bigger than a deck of cards!Moral of the story: your options are nigh-unlimited. It can be as large and as costly or as small and cheap as you desire.

Likes FreddieAzoth
FreddieAzoth said:
Currently I do not have any sort of equipment including a stator, but I shall look into how to get one. Thanks
OK. It might be better to describe your project as building a motor. Forget the words armature and stator.

Are you thinking of a small DC motor that serves only to demonstrate the principle,
or do you want a big motor powerful enough to drive big machines?

If you want the small motor, this link describes how to do it using items in your house.

https://www.instructables.com/5-Minute-DIY-Motor/

Yes I am thinking of a small motor, and thanks for the link.

For simplicity consider making an electromagnet first then progress to solenoids, electric motors, armatures, rotors and stators. A simple electromagnet helps you learn basics of winding and directing EM (electromagnetic) fields. You can salvage parts from old appliances, phones, toys and other projects.
Cost = price of battery.

Wind insulated wire such as copper wire covered with plastic around a soft iron cylinder, called the core. A large nail, bolt or old tool of the correct material works.
Strip the insulation from the ends of the wire. Hold the bare ends to a small DC battery.

Do the ends of the core attract small metal objects such as a paper clip or iron filings?

Once successful, you can add refinements such as switches, a circuit board, and battery pack. Experiment with adding more windings in different patterns, adding more batteries in series or in parallel and gauge the effects on the EM field you created by how it attracts small ferrous metal objects.

Once you master winding electromagnets, you will understand the basics of making motors.

anorlunda said:
Armature usually means the rotating part of a dynamo or motor or generator.
I think we need some distinctions between AC and DC machines here. Certainly in my own experience with 3 phase power, the armature is on the stator while the DC field is on the rotor.

Likes anorlunda
I'm not sure the definition of armature is nailed down as well as some terms are. As a rule, it is considered necessary to move to be called an armature, and have conductor(s) carrying current. But, we generally don't consider the rotor in an automotive alternator an armature and I cannot see why not. It carries DC while a Wikipedia article claims the conductors must carry AC to be considered an armature. The stator in an automotive alternator is not considered the field for more obvious reasons since it is the source of electrical power we are generating. The rotor is what performs the field function in the automotive alternator.
-
Now, all that being said, I seem to recall the part that is attached to the clapper on an old fashioned electric bell that is attracted by the electromagnet is called an armature. So, technically, the part that moves with contacts on a relay could be called an armature.

anorlunda said:
OK. It might be better to describe your project as building a motor. Forget the words armature and stator.

Are you thinking of a small DC motor that serves only to demonstrate the principle,
or do you want a big motor powerful enough to drive big machines?

If you want the small motor, this link describes how to do it using items in your house.

https://www.instructables.com/5-Minute-DIY-Motor/
I have used version of this one in school for pupils from about 10 years up with great success. It is built on a little wooden baseboard and uses enamelled wire. . Notice the correct way to scrape the enamel off the wire to form the commutator. The pupils also make electric bells and a steady-hand game on the same baseboard, which has many wood screw holes for various purposes.

Likes Klystron and anorlunda
For rotating electrical machines, I would suggest that the terms "rotor" and "stator" are less prone to ambiguity. This describes the component in terms of its motion (or lack of motion).

Likes Klystron, anorlunda, Averagesupernova and 1 other person

1. How do I choose the right materials for making an armature?

The materials you choose for making an armature will depend on the size and weight of your sculpture. For smaller sculptures, you can use materials like wire, aluminum foil, and paper clips. For larger and heavier sculptures, you may need to use materials like wood, metal rods, or PVC pipes.

2. What tools do I need to make an armature?

The tools you need for making an armature will depend on the materials you are using. However, some basic tools that are commonly used include wire cutters, pliers, scissors, a drill, and a saw. You may also need a hammer, sandpaper, and a ruler for more precise measurements.

3. How do I create a strong armature that can support my sculpture?

To create a strong armature, you need to ensure that the materials you are using are sturdy enough to support the weight of your sculpture. You can also reinforce the armature by using additional materials like epoxy glue or duct tape. It is also important to evenly distribute the weight of your sculpture on the armature to prevent any weak spots.

4. Can I reuse an armature for multiple sculptures?

Yes, you can reuse an armature for multiple sculptures as long as it is still in good condition and can support the weight of the new sculpture. However, if you are using materials like wire or aluminum foil, they may not be as strong after being used once and may need to be replaced.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when making an armature?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when making an armature. Wear protective gear like gloves and safety glasses when using tools like wire cutters, pliers, and drills. Use caution when handling sharp objects and make sure to properly secure your armature while working on it to prevent any accidents.