Modeling an earthing switch for a High Voltage Impulse Generator

Angus Fergusson
TL;DR Summary
Modelling a seemingly simple mechanism that is proving to be quite challenging
Hi All,

I am trying to model this mechanism for a project. It is a switch that uses a solenoid to break the contact by lifting the aluminium arm. I understand that there is most likely software out there that can do this but i would like to understand how to model this from first principals.

I have got a function for the force on the armature of the solenoid from an electromagnetic modeling software. The force on the armature is the input to the system. I want the motion of the armature, Y, as the output of the model.
So far I have found Y and its derivatives in terms of theta and beta which are the angle of the link 2 (crank) and the angle of link 3 (con rod), respectively. I have also found beta and its derivatives in terms of theta (meaning that i effectively have Y in terms of theta). After that there is the force balance on each link. I have left friction on the armature out for now, F_mu.

At the moment I am struggling with creating the equations of motion of the armature (Ydotdot = TotalForceOnArmature/MassOfArmature). Any help would be greatly appreciated

1696597204744.jpeg

1696597221316.jpeg

1696597267276.jpeg

1696597306989.jpeg

1696597332186.jpeg

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Angus Fergusson said:
I have got a function for the force on the armature of the solenoid from an electromagnetic modeling software. The force on the armature is the input to the system. I want the motion of the armature, Y, as the output of the model.
I assume the white arm is the earthed contact arm, and it is attached to the elbow link.
All points in the linkage appear to travel in circular arcs, except the solenoid, which moves in a straight line.

The arc through which the white arm travels, restricts the range that must be modelled.

Are you modelling the dynamic flight of the arm as a result of the predicted solenoid force, or the static force required to move the arm through, or to hold the arm in a particular position?

Originally tried to do the dynamic flight but found the algebra for that to be far too complicated. I considered a state-space approach but do not have enough knowledge to pull that off. Ended up just doing a static force analysis to find the friction between the solenoid armature and the housing, which was then iterated to get the friction as a function of the position of the armature in the solenoid housing.

And yes you are correct with the mechanics of the linkage.

The model is no longer needed but I would love to hear if there is a better approach to the problem.

What is an earthing switch and why is it important for a High Voltage Impulse Generator?

An earthing switch is a device used to safely discharge the electrical energy from the components of a high voltage circuit, such as a High Voltage Impulse Generator, to the ground. This is crucial for preventing accidental electrocution and equipment damage by ensuring that all parts of the system are at ground potential before maintenance or inspection is performed.

How do you model an earthing switch in a simulation environment?

Modeling an earthing switch in a simulation environment typically involves representing the switch as a simple electrical contact that can be either open or closed. When closed, the switch provides a low resistance path to ground, effectively discharging any stored charges in the system. The model might include parameters like contact resistance, switching time, and the transient response of the switch.

What are the key parameters to consider when designing an earthing switch for a High Voltage Impulse Generator?

Key parameters include the maximum voltage and current that the switch must handle, the speed of operation (how quickly the switch can close), the durability under repeated operations, and the ability to withstand environmental conditions like temperature and humidity. Additionally, the mechanical design must ensure reliable operation under all expected conditions.

What are the common challenges in modeling an earthing switch?

Common challenges include accurately simulating the transient electrical and mechanical behaviors during the switching process. This involves detailed modeling of arc formation and quenching, contact bounce, and electromagnetic forces. Ensuring that the model accurately reflects real-world performance under various fault conditions is also challenging.

How does the performance of an earthing switch impact the overall safety and efficiency of a High Voltage Impulse Generator?

The performance of an earthing switch directly impacts the safety of the system by ensuring that all high voltage parts can be safely grounded before any human intervention. Efficient performance of the earthing switch also affects the reliability and maintenance costs of the High Voltage Impulse Generator, as a well-functioning switch helps prevent equipment failures and prolongs the lifespan of the system components.