Making bubbles and trying to use Trompe

In summary: These are small devices that use a pump to create bubbles of air which help to clean the tank. They come in different shapes and sizes.
Tomimo
Hi,

I am trying to create a device that would "simply" make a bubble under the water. What I am aiming for is production of small bubble but continuously and under the water. When I say continuously, it doeant have to be for extended periods of time, could be just for ~2 hours but the longer the better.

All my ideas about how to achieve it have some shortcomings and the easiest seem to have a chamber full of air and gradually taking air from that to create the bubble (=time limited supply)

All this had led me to something called "Trompe" my question is - can trompe device work under the water (no air supply? How to extract air from water without power) and how small could trompe device be? I am aiming at really small sizes here.

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
After the device creates the bubble, what prevents the bubble from collapsing? Once the bubble leaves the device, the device had no more influence on it.

anorlunda said:
After the device creates the bubble, what prevents the bubble from collapsing? Once the bubble leaves the device, the device had no more influence on it.
Not sure what do you mean by bubble collapsing, but there is no need for any influence, all tjat is needed is for the bubble to float to the surface

I do not think the concept of a trompe is useful here. Your bubbles would be introduced at the top and be carried down to the drain at the bottom. As they travel down the trompe in the water flow, the hydrostatic pressure increases and the bubbles become smaller in diameter.

Consider the Bernoulli principle / effect. If there was some water velocity where you wanted to introduce the bubbles, a small orifice connected to external air could suck bubbles of air into the water.
What is the hydrostatic pressure or head where the bubbles will be introduced?

Alternatively, pack a small tube with baking soda, when it gets wet it will produce bubbles of CO2. Control the top vent tube size so bubbles are optimum size. Rate of water entry decides CO2 production rate.

Make a chamber that holds air that can be sunk to where you want bubbles. A narrow diameter capillary tube at the top allows small bubbles to vent, one at the time. A hole or horizontal capillary tube at the bottom regulates the water entry rate, (water has a higher viscosity than air). That sets the bubble rate from the top as the chamber slowly floods from the bottom where external hydrostatic pressure is slightly greater. Make the chamber low and flat and the top tube vertically longer to get better regulated bubble rate.

Or buy a fish tank aerator / bubbler from a pet shop.

Last edited:

1. How do you make bubbles?

To make bubbles, you will need a bubble solution (made of water and dish soap), a bubble wand or a straw, and a container to hold the solution. Dip the wand or straw into the solution and blow gently to create bubbles.

2. What is Trompe and how does it work?

Trompe is a technique used to create larger and longer-lasting bubbles. It involves adding sugar or glycerin to the bubble solution, which increases the viscosity of the solution and helps the bubbles hold their shape for a longer period of time. This allows for larger bubbles to be created.

3. How can I make my bubbles last longer?

Aside from using the Trompe technique, there are a few other tips to make your bubbles last longer. Avoid blowing bubbles in windy conditions, as this can cause them to pop more quickly. You can also try adding a small amount of corn syrup to your bubble solution, which can help the bubbles stay intact for longer.

4. Can I use any type of soap to make bubbles?

No, not all soaps will work for making bubbles. The best type of soap to use is a liquid dish soap, as it is specifically designed to cut through grease and create bubbles. Other types of soap, such as bar soap or body wash, may not work as well.

5. Can I make bubbles in cold weather?

Yes, you can make bubbles in cold weather, but they may not last as long as in warmer temperatures. Cold air can cause bubbles to freeze and pop more quickly, so it is best to try and make bubbles indoors or on a warmer day for longer-lasting bubbles.