Making sure my intuition is correct about buoyant force

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of buoyant force and clarifies the confusion about measuring the height of a submerged object in a liquid. The expert explains that the pressure on the object depends on its depth below the surface, not its height above a bottom point. The correct way to measure the height is from the top of the water to the bottom of the object, as shown in the second picture. The expert also mentions that the pressure on the object will be the same regardless of its distance from the bottom.
Genericcoder
Hi I want to make sure my intuition is correct about the buoyant force.
What I am confused by if we take a cube or some sort of object and its submerged at height H1 as in picture I uploaded,then their will be a force of P1 * A; in case of the cube it's it would be d^2. What I don't understand or I am not sure that my intuition is correct is this is why the height of H2(height 2 not Hydrogen gas :D) is taken from the top of the water to bottom of the cube instead of bottom of the water to the bottom of the cube as picture 2 represent.

My intuition to this is as follows since the upward pressure P2 is same throughout the liquid then P2 if taken from frame of reference from above of the beaker it would be the same that if taken from frame of reference from bottom of the beaker as picture 2 represent.Is that intuition is correct ?

Please look at picture as they explain better than I do.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Buoyance.JPG
    Buoyance.JPG
    6.2 KB · Views: 420
  • Buoyance 2.JPG
    Buoyance 2.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 418
Physics news on Phys.org
What matters is the fluid pressure at any point. That pressure depends on the depth below the surface, not the height above some bottom point.

Second picture is correct. So, for the pressure in point 1 you will take h1, and for the pressure in pont 2 you will take (h1+h2). O course, pressure in the point 2 will be greater than pressure in the point 1, and you will have resultant force upward. Now you have to calculate weight and you will see will the body be stable, go up, go down, or whatever..

The key point is that the pressure on the cube will be the same regardless of its distance from the bottom as long as its depth below the surface is the same. The height above the bottom of the container has no bearing on the fluid pressure.

I see what made me think this way about picture 1 is because is an upward force so I didn't visualize it correctly because I thought if its taken from bottom then it would make the resultant force upward not downward that's what made me confused.

Related to Making sure my intuition is correct about buoyant force

1. How do I know if my intuition about buoyant force is correct?

There are a few ways to verify the accuracy of your intuition about buoyant force. One way is to perform experiments and compare the results to your predictions. Another way is to consult reliable sources, such as textbooks or scientific articles, to see if your understanding aligns with established theories and principles.

2. Can intuition be relied upon when it comes to understanding buoyant force?

Intuition can be a useful tool in understanding buoyant force, but it should not be the only factor considered. It is important to supplement intuition with empirical evidence and scientific principles to ensure a comprehensive understanding of the concept.

3. How can I improve my intuition about buoyant force?

One way to improve your intuition about buoyant force is by continuously learning and studying the subject. Familiarize yourself with the key principles and equations related to buoyant force, and try to apply them in different scenarios. Additionally, conducting experiments and making observations can also help develop a better intuition.

4. Are there any common misconceptions about buoyant force?

Yes, there are a few common misconceptions about buoyant force. Some people may think that buoyant force depends on the weight of an object, but in reality, it is determined by the volume of the object and the density of the fluid it is submerged in. Another misconception is that buoyant force only acts upwards, when in fact it can act in any direction depending on the relative densities of the object and the fluid.

5. How does buoyant force affect objects of different shapes and sizes?

Buoyant force affects objects of different shapes and sizes in different ways. Generally, larger and more irregularly shaped objects experience a greater buoyant force compared to smaller and more compact objects. This is because larger objects displace more fluid, resulting in a larger upward force. However, the shape and density of an object also play a significant role in determining the magnitude and direction of the buoyant force.