Is Your Newfoundland Puppy Ready for Water Training?

• Thread starter fileen
  • Start date
In summary: Keep in mind that any behavioral problems associated with keeping him intact (i.e., marking his territory by lifting his leg places you don't want it lifted) will develop early.
tribdog said:
Do big dogs have a longer growth period? I thought they just grew faster.

I don't know about larger breeds in general but I've been told by the breeder that they do have a longer growth period and that growing too fast can be a huge problem. Thats why we don't feed him a growth formula, instead he gets an all organic adult dog food and then mixed veggies, yogurt and some oatmeal

Physics news on Phys.org
tribdog said:
Aren't these the dogs that instinctively save drowning people? I've always thought that was amazing. I can't think of a better dog to give to a little kid.

Yes they are, Manfred will have water training when he is 2 years old. If he successfully completes and passes his water training he will be a certified life guard and can be on any beach, even those that ban dogs. Without the training they can be unruly and take off into the water as they absolutely love to swim. I would like to have the water training so that I can take him with me in the canoe and take him to the lake without worrying about losing him or having him go out too far and drown because he can't get back.

Manfed is as of yesterday 22.5 lbs as opposed to his original 16

fileen said:
Manfed is as of yesterday 22.5 lbs as opposed to his original 16

Excellent, Fileen; did you adapt the food expenditure balance for the family?

fileen said:
Yes they are, Manfred will have water training when he is 2 years old. If he successfully completes and passes his water training he will be a certified life guard and can be on any beach, even those that ban dogs. Without the training they can be unruly and take off into the water as they absolutely love to swim. I would like to have the water training so that I can take him with me in the canoe and take him to the lake without worrying about losing him or having him go out too far and drown because he can't get back.

That sounds really cool. Though, I'm now thinking about that thick coat all sopping wet...