How Do You Express sin(7t) - sin(6t) Using Trig Identities?

Once you have this, you can use it to rewrite the expression. In summary, the problem is to write sin(7t)-sin(6t) as a product of two trigonometric functions. The solution involves using a trig identity for sin(A)-sin(B) and then rewriting the expression using the addition formulas.
Thadis

Homework Statement

Write sin(7t)-sin(6t) as a product of two trig. functions.

Homework Equations

e^(ix)=cos(x)+isin(x)
sin(2x)=2cos(x)sin(x)
cos(2x)=cos^2(x)-sin^2(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not really know how to approach this. I have tried using the sin(2x) identity but I could not get the correct answer from it. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thadis said:

Homework Statement

Write sin(7t)-sin(6t) as a product of two trig. functions.

Homework Equations

e^(ix)=cos(x)+isin(x)
sin(2x)=2cos(x)sin(x)
cos(2x)=cos^2(x)-sin^2(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not really know how to approach this. I have tried using the sin(2x) identity but I could not get the correct answer from it. Can anyone help?

There is a trig identity for sin(A)-sin(B). You can either look it up or work it out by figuring out what sin(a+b)-sin(a-b) would be using the addition formulas.

Related to How Do You Express sin(7t) - sin(6t) Using Trig Identities?

1. What is the purpose of manipulating trigonometric functions?

The purpose of manipulating trigonometric functions is to simplify complex expressions and equations involving angles, and to make it easier to solve problems related to triangles and circular motion.

2. What are the basic trigonometric identities used in manipulating trig functions?

The basic trigonometric identities used in manipulating trig functions include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, sum and difference identities, and power reduction identities.

3. How do you manipulate trig functions to find the values of unknown angles?

To find the values of unknown angles, you can use trigonometric equations and identities to manipulate the given functions and solve for the unknown angle using algebraic techniques.

4. Can trigonometric functions be manipulated using calculus?

Yes, trigonometric functions can be manipulated using calculus techniques such as derivatives and integrals to find maximum and minimum values, rates of change, and areas under curves.

5. What are some real-life applications of manipulating trig functions?

Manipulating trigonometric functions is used in many fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to solve problems related to waves, vibrations, electricity, and motion. It is also used in navigation, architecture, and surveying to calculate distances and angles.