Map possible values of a set with a condition to the naturals

In summary: This should cover both of your points. This says that if x is an element of A, then all its members are also elements of B, and no element of A is a subset of another element of A.
olgerm
Gold Member
I want a way to map natural numbers to possible values of set A. It would also be helpful if you could tell me how many possible values are for set A(it depends of k).
All that is known about set A is: Non of set A elements is subset to another element of A, but all elements of set A are proper subsets to set B. Empty set is not element of A. Set B contains k elements.

example if k=1
  1. A={}
example if k=2
  1. A={}
  2. A={{0}}
  3. A={{1}}
  4. A={{0}{1}}
example if k=3
  1. A={}
  2. A={{0}}
  3. A={{1}}
  4. A={{2}}
  5. A={{0},{1}}
  6. A={{0},{2}}
  7. A={{1},{2}}
  8. A={{0},{1},{2}}
  9. A={{0,1}}
  10. A={{0,1},{2}}
  11. A={{0,2}}
  12. A={{0,2},{1}}
  13. A={{1,2}}
  14. A={{1,2},{0}}
  15. A={{0,1},{0,2}}
  16. A={{0,1}{1,2}}
  17. A={{0,2}{1,2}}
  18. A={{0,1},{0,2},{1,2}}

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your description is very confusing. What is B? You use k before you introduce k. What is k? What do you mean by "possible values of set A"?

If this is a homework problem, please post the full original problem statement.

Formally, we can write this as:
$$B_k = \{m\in\mathbb N\ |\ 1\le m \le k\}$$
$$S_k = \left\{A \in 2^{B_k}\smallsetminus\{B_k,\emptyset\}\ |\
\forall x\forall y((x\in A\wedge y\in A\wedge x\neq y)
\to x\not\subset y)
\right\}$$

My use of ##B_k## here corresponds to what you call B, and my ##A## corresponds to your A.

You have said you are looking for a formula for ##|S_k|##, the size of set ##S_k##. Are you also looking for an algorithm for writing out the elements of ##S_k## given ##k##?

Also, is this homework? (we need to check)

Last edited:
Likes olgerm
It is not homework.

mfb said:
What is k?
It is number of elements in set B.

mfb said:
What is B?
I defined B to describe set A more easily.

mfb said:
What do you mean by "possible values of set A"?
I mean set of all sets that, fulfill the conditions, that I used for describing set A.

Last edited:
andrewkirk said:
Formally, we can write this as:
$$\forall_x(x\in A \leftrightarrow \forall_y( y \in x \to y \in B))\wedge \forall_x(\forall_y(y \not \in x)\to x \not \in A)\wedge B \not \in A$$
That is how I think of it. I just brought subsets into describe it better.

Ah thanks, that is clearer.

If I'm not mistaken, for k=4 we get 134 options. There are 4 sets with 3 elements, 6 sets with 2 elements and 4 sets with 1 element we can include or not. As long as we only include sets from one category there are no collisions, as n-element sets are never subsets of other n-element sets. Therefore:
- 1 option is A={}
- 15 options using 3-element sets only (24-1), e.g. A={{0,2,3},{0,1,3}}
- 31 options using 2-element sets only
- 15 options using 1-element sets only
- 4 options using one 3-element set and one 1-element set, e.g. A={{0,1,2},{3}}. I'll write this as "3+1".
-6 options for two 3-element sets and one 2-element sets ("3+3+2")
-12 options for 3+2
-12 options for 3+2+2
-4 options for 3+2+2+2
-6 options for 2+1+1
-12 options for 2+1
-12 options for 2+2+1
-4 options for 2+2+2+1

OEIS doesn't recognize 1,4,18,134 (or even 4,18,134).

olgerm said:
$$\forall_x(x\in A \leftrightarrow \forall_y( y \in x \to y \in B))\wedge \forall_x(\forall_y(y \not \in x)\to x \not \in A)\wedge B \not \in A$$
That is how I think of it. I just brought subsets into describe it better.
The three conjuncts say the following, in order:
  1. a set is an element of A iff it is a subset of B
  2. the empty set is not an element of A
  3. B is not an element of A (ie all the subsets are proper)
There are two issues with this:
a. Unless I have overlooked it, the requirement that no element of A be a subset of any other element of A is missing.
b. Item 1 contradicts items 2 and 3, since item 1 implies that B and ##\emptyset## are elements of A while 2 and 3 say they are not. To fix this, the ##\leftrightarrow## in the first conjunct needs to be changed to ##\to##, so that the 'iff' becomes an 'only if'.

On looking at that, I realize that requirement 2 of this list is missing from my formulation above. I will fix that now.

mfb said:
OEIS doesn't recognize 1,4,18,134 (or even 4,18,134).
What a great site!

I have been playing around with partitions of a set of n elements, in relation to extensions of the Birthday Problem.

I wrote a program to generate the sequence of numbers of partitions of each natural number. I did a difference table to many levels, compared it with exponentials, Fibonacci, factorials and anything else I could think of, and found nothing.

But the site recognised the sequence straightaway and provided a mine of info about it here.

andrewkirk said:
a. Unless I have overlooked it, the requirement that no element of A be a subset of any other element of A is missing.
b. Item 1 contradicts items 2 and 3, since item 1 implies that B and ##\emptyset## are elements of A while 2 and 3 say they are not. To fix this, the ##\leftrightarrow## in the first conjunct needs to be changed to ##\to##, so that the 'iff' becomes an 'only if'.
You are right. I try to fix it.

$$\forall_x(x\in A \to \forall_y( y \in x \to y \in B))\wedge \forall_x(\forall_y(x \in A \wedge y \in A \to \not \forall_z(z \in x \to z \in y))) \wedge \forall_x(\forall_y(y \not \in x)\to x \not \in A)\wedge B \not \in A$$

1. What is meant by "mapping possible values of a set with a condition to the naturals"?

Mapping refers to the process of associating each element in a set with a corresponding element in another set. In this case, we are mapping the elements of a set with a specific condition to the set of natural numbers (positive whole numbers starting from 1). This allows us to represent the set in a more organized and understandable way.

2. How is this type of mapping useful in scientific research?

This type of mapping can be useful in many scientific fields, such as mathematics, computer science, and statistics. It allows us to analyze and compare data in a more structured manner, making it easier to identify patterns and relationships between different elements in a set. It also helps in making predictions and drawing conclusions from the data.

3. Can you give an example of mapping possible values of a set with a condition to the naturals?

Let's say we have a set of all even numbers between 1 and 10. By mapping each even number to its corresponding position in the set of natural numbers, we get the following: 2 is mapped to 1, 4 is mapped to 2, 6 is mapped to 3, 8 is mapped to 4, and 10 is mapped to 5. This allows us to easily see the pattern and relationship between the elements in the set.

4. Is it possible to map values to other sets besides the naturals?

Yes, it is possible to map values to other sets depending on the purpose and context of the mapping. For example, in some cases, it may be more useful to map values to the set of integers (which includes both positive and negative whole numbers), or to the set of real numbers (which includes all rational and irrational numbers). It ultimately depends on the specific needs of the research or analysis being conducted.

5. How can I create a visual representation of a mapped set with a condition to the naturals?

There are various ways to visually represent a mapped set, such as using a table, graph, or diagram. For example, in the previous example of mapping even numbers to the naturals, we can create a table with two columns: one for the even numbers and one for their corresponding mapped values. We can also create a line graph showing the relationship between the two sets. It is important to choose a visual representation that best illustrates the patterns and relationships within the mapped set.