Mapping Tangent Space to Manifold - Questions & Answers

In summary, the author says that, in a manifold, for any vector k in the tangent space at a point p, we can find a path x^{\mu}(\lambda) that passes through p which corresponds to the geodesic for that vector (k being the tangent vector to the path). Two conditions for this path are that \lambda(p)=0 and \frac{dx^{\mu}}{d\lambda}(\lambda=0) = k^{\mu} . From this, we can then construct a map, call it \exp_p: T_p\to M such that \exp_p(k)=x(\lambda=1) . So why are we evaluating at \lambda
guitarphysics
Hi all, this might be a silly question, but I was curious. In Carroll's book, the author says that, in a manifold [itex] M [/itex], for any vector [itex] k [/itex] in the tangent space [itex] T_p [/itex] at a point [itex] p\in M [/itex], we can find a path [itex] x^{\mu}(\lambda) [/itex] that passes through [itex] p [/itex] which corresponds to the geodesic for that vector ([itex] k [/itex] being the tangent vector to the path). Two conditions for this path are:
[tex] \lambda(p)=0 \\ \frac{dx^{\mu}}{d\lambda}(\lambda=0)=k^{\mu}
[/tex]
(And, of course, it must satisfy the geodesic equation.)

From this, we can then construct a map, call it [itex] \exp_p: T_p\to M [/itex] such that [tex] \exp_p(k)=x(\lambda=1) [/tex]
Where [itex] x(\lambda=1) [/itex] is the point in [itex] M [/itex] belonging to the parametrized path introduced earlier (the geodesic for [itex] k [/itex]) evaluated at [itex] \lambda=1 [/itex]. Now, my question is: why are we evaluating at [itex] \lambda=1 [/itex]? Not only does this seem arbitrary- it also seems completely independent of all aspects of the manifold. What I mean by this is that we could pick any parameter, big or small, for our geodesic (since we're working with an affine parameter, I think). Given this, it seems like we lose our ability to say that [itex] \exp_p [/itex] maps to the neighborhood of [itex] p [/itex]; it could map to faraway places in the manifold, given the right parameter. So given this,

1) Why was this chosen? Arbitrary convention?
2) Is what I pointed out above problematic, or is it a non-issue? (Regarding the fact that we can map to faraway places.)
3) Could something be chosen instead of [itex] \lambda=1 [/itex], that sort of characterizes a "small scale" in the manifold? This is related to something I'm not very sure about- is there a way to establish the "physical size" of a manifold? Throwing rigor out the window, what I mean is this: maybe we could say that a manifold has "size" [itex] S_M [/itex], and then redefine the map so that [itex] \exp_p(k)=x(\lambda=s) [/itex], where [itex] s<<S_M [/itex]. For an example of what I mean by this "size", maybe we could say [itex] S_M=2\pi R [/itex] for [itex] S^2 [/itex]? (The problem is I doubt this could be done in general :c ).

Many thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The value of ##\lambda## is one because you can always select the tangent vector in such a way that you get a different parametrisation of the same curve.

Likes guitarphysics
guitarphysics said:
From this, we can then construct a map, call it [itex] \exp_p: T_p\to M [/itex] such that [tex] \exp_p(k)=x(\lambda=1) [/tex]
Where [itex] x(\lambda=1) [/itex] is the point in [itex] M [/itex] belonging to the parametrized path introduced earlier (the geodesic for [itex] k [/itex]) evaluated at [itex] \lambda=1 [/itex]. Now, my question is: why are we evaluating at [itex] \lambda=1 [/itex]?

I would say that it's just a convention, but it's convenient. Here is a way to think about it:

The most general way to specify how to travel from a point [itex]p[/itex] along a geodesic would be given by a three-parameter function [itex]F(p,v,t)[/itex], the meaning of which is: Find a geodesic [itex]\mathcal{P}(\lambda)[/itex] such that [itex]\mathcal{P}(0) = p[/itex] and [itex]\frac{d\mathcal{P}}{d\lambda}|_{\lambda=0} = v[/itex]. Then let [itex]F(p,v,t)[/itex] be the point [itex]\mathcal{P}(t)[/itex]. So it makes sense that the way you specify a destination is to give a starting point, [itex]p[/itex], a direction to travel, [itex]v[/itex], and a specification of how far to travel along the geodesic, [itex]t[/itex].

However, since a vector has both a direction and a magnitude, we can absorb the parameter [itex]t[/itex] into [itex]v[/itex] as follows:

[itex]F(p, v, t) = F(p, tv, 1)[/itex]

So in [itex]F(p,v,t)[/itex] you can just fix the third parameter to be 1, and allow the [itex]v[/itex] parameter specify both the direction and how far to go. Carrol's [itex]exp_p(v)[/itex] is just my [itex]F(p,v,1)[/itex].

The choice of [itex]\lambda = 1[/itex] is pretty much arbitrary. However, it is convenient, because in a small region of space, you can approximate space by flat 3D space (or 4D, if you're talking about spacetime). Then you can use local Cartesian coordinates, so that [itex]p[/itex] has coordinates [itex](x,y,z)[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex] has components [itex](v_x, v_y, v_z)[/itex]. Then if [itex]p' = exp_p(v)[/itex], the coordinates for [itex]p'[/itex] will be just [itex](x+v_x, y+v_y, z+v_z)[/itex]. Then [itex]v[/itex] can be interpreted as the "displacement vector" connecting [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]p'[/itex].

Likes Ibix, guitarphysics and fresh_42
Awesome, thank you both! (Funnily enough, it looks like Orodruin's answer is an abstract for stevendaryl's :D; same concepts, essentially, just different amount of detail hehe).

What is tangent space and why is it important in mapping?

Tangent space is a mathematical concept that describes the space of possible directions or velocities at a given point on a surface. It is important in mapping because it allows us to understand how a surface changes and warps in different directions, which is crucial in creating accurate and efficient maps.

How is tangent space related to manifolds?

Tangent space is closely related to manifolds because it is defined at every point on a manifold. A manifold is a mathematical space that locally resembles Euclidean space, and tangent space allows us to understand the local geometry and curvature of a manifold at a specific point.

What is the process of mapping tangent space to a manifold?

The process of mapping tangent space to a manifold involves finding a smooth function that can map a point in the tangent space to a point on the manifold. This function is called an embedding, and it allows us to visualize and understand the relationship between the tangent space and the manifold.

What are some applications of mapping tangent space to manifolds?

Mapping tangent space to manifolds has various applications in fields such as computer graphics, physics, and computer vision. For example, it can be used to create realistic 3D models of objects, simulate physical systems, and analyze and classify data sets.

What are some challenges in mapping tangent space to manifolds?

One of the main challenges in mapping tangent space to manifolds is dealing with high-dimensional data. The more dimensions a manifold has, the more complex its tangent space becomes, making it difficult to visualize and map accurately. Additionally, finding an appropriate embedding function can also be challenging and may require advanced mathematical techniques.