Marginal probability density functions (pdf)

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the marginal pdfs of two independent gamma distributions, with parameters (α1,β) and (α2,β), given certain transformations. The solution may involve using the Gamma function to compute integrals.
QuebecRb
I have a set of two related queries relating to marginal pdfs:
i.How to proceed finding the marginal pdfs of two independent gamma distributions (X1 and X2) with parameters (α1,β) and (α2,β) respectively, given the transformation: Y1=X1/(X1+X2) and Y2=X1+X2.
I am using the following gamma formula:

View attachment 3407

Having written the joint pdf and having applied the Jacobean, I have reached the final stage of writing the expression for the marginal (Y1):

View attachment 3408

but I cannot proceed further, obtaining the marginal pdf.

ii.Additionally, given the following transformations , Y1=X1/X2 and Y2=X2, I have written the expression for the marginal (Y2):

View attachment 3409

How do I find this marginal pdf?

Any enlightening answers would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    2.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    5.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 62
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a little bit confused about the exercice. If I understand it correctly, you have given two independent gamma distributed random variables $X_1 \sim \Gamma(\alpha_1, \beta) $ and $X_2 \sim \Gamma(\alpha_2,\beta) $ and the goal is to compute the distribution of $Y_1 = \frac{X_1}{X_1+X_2}$ and $Y_2 = X_1+X_2$. Am I right here?

I did not check if your solution for $f_{Y_1}(y_1)$ and $f_{Y_2}(y_2)$ is correct, but to proceed the Gamma function can be useful. It is defined as
$$\Gamma(z) = \int_{0}^{\infty} t^{z-1}e^{-t}dt$$

For example to compute the following integral
$$\int_{0}^{\infty} y_2^{\alpha_1+\alpha_2-1}e^{-\beta y_2(y_1+1)}dy_2 $$

Let $\beta y_2(y_1+1) = t \Rightarrow dy_2 = \frac{dt}{\beta(y_1+1)}$. Thus the integral becomes
$$\frac{1}{\beta (y_1+1)} \int_{0}^{\infty} \left[\frac{t}{\beta(y_1+1)}\right]^{\alpha_1+\alpha_2-1} e^{-t}dt = \frac{1}{\beta^{\alpha_1+\alpha_2}(y_1+1)^{\alpha_1+\alpha_2}} \int_{0}^{\infty} t^{\alpha_1+\alpha_2-1}e^{-t}dt = \frac{1}{\beta^{\alpha_1+\alpha_2}(y_1+1)^{\alpha_1+\alpha_2}} \Gamma(\alpha_1+\alpha_2)$$

What is a marginal probability density function (pdf)?

A marginal probability density function (pdf) is a mathematical function that describes the probability of a continuous random variable taking on a particular value within a given range. It represents the overall distribution of a single variable, ignoring the other variables in a multivariate distribution.

How is a marginal pdf different from a joint pdf?

A marginal pdf only considers the distribution of a single variable, while a joint pdf takes into account the distributions of multiple variables. In other words, a marginal pdf represents the probabilities of a single variable occurring, while a joint pdf represents the probabilities of multiple variables occurring together.

What is the relationship between a marginal pdf and a cumulative distribution function (cdf)?

The marginal pdf can be used to calculate the cumulative distribution function (cdf) of a single variable by integrating over the entire range of values for that variable. The cdf provides information about the probability of a variable being less than or equal to a certain value.

How are marginal pdfs used in statistical analysis?

Marginal pdfs are commonly used in statistical analysis to understand the distribution of a single variable in a multivariate system. They can also be used to calculate summary statistics such as mean, median, and variance, and to make predictions about the likelihood of certain outcomes.

Can a marginal pdf be used to calculate conditional probabilities?

Yes, a marginal pdf can be used to calculate conditional probabilities by dividing the joint pdf of two variables by the marginal pdf of the variable of interest. This allows us to understand the probability of one variable occurring given the occurrence of another variable.