Marine Corps Veteran, returning to school.

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's background as a Marine Corps Infantryman and their upcoming enrollment in Suffolk University. They express some concerns about being out of the academic loop for four years and ask for recommendations on self-study books and supplies for their classes. The conversation also touches on the use of calculators and the preference for pens or pencils in exams. The individual also asks about their background being sufficient for a Physics major. The response advises them not to worry and that their background is sufficient for a Physics major. They also mention the use of Wolfram Alpha for graphing needs and that their students have included veterans.
_Tully
Hello! I have found a lot of useful information on this sight since I've been lurking, but I have decided to merge from the shadows to ask a few questions. I have been an active duty Marine Corps Infantryman (MOS 0351 Assaultman) for the past four years. Now, finally at the end of my enlistment, I start school (at Suffolk University in Boston) Jan. 11th.

I am fairly up to date on my mathematics, though I am still a bit nervous. I have been 'out of the loop' academically for the past four years. This doesn't mean I've completely forgotten everything I've learned, I have continued studying since I've been in on my own. I just have not been in any traditional academic setting (IE: a college classroom) in four years.

The few questions that I have are:

Can you recommend some self-study books that would help to make sure I am up to date, specifically with self-tests? I've gone through Physics and Calculus 'For Dummies' and though they where good for brushing-up, I felt that there wasn't enough actual self-testing/practical application.

Secondly, and this is the embarrassing one, what sort of supplies should I be getting at this point? I've used a TI-83+ for most of my school work through the years, is this sufficient? As far as I can tell, I wouldn't mind switching to a more simple scientific calculator to be honest...is this a good idea? Are there computer programs that would be useful to me? Anything from scheduling, to mathematics. Do professors prefer pens or pencils (this sounds like an absurd question to a civilian I am sure, but in the Marines we are NEVER ALLOWED to use anything other than a black ink pen)?

I apologize if I come across as ignorant or simple, but my lifestyle these past years hasn't been all that conducive to academics, hah! Are there any other veterans on these forums?

I am sure I've left something out as well.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
_Tully said:
Secondly, and this is the embarrassing one, what sort of supplies should I be getting at this point? I've used a TI-83+ for most of my school work through the years, is this sufficient? As far as I can tell, I wouldn't mind switching to a more simple scientific calculator to be honest...is this a good idea? Are there computer programs that would be useful to me? Anything from scheduling, to mathematics. Do professors prefer pens or pencils (this sounds like an absurd question to a civilian I am sure, but in the Marines we are NEVER ALLOWED to use anything other than a black ink pen)?
I'm going to address these two questions, I guess. As far as the calculator is concerned, I would wait and see what you can have and need in class. I'm pretty sure all you need is a basic scientific calculator with the usual functions, so nothing fancy, at least in your first years. However, depending on the school, there may also be a list of calculators you CAN use during exams and such. For example, my university only allows certain calculators on Physics exams, those being the ones that cannot be programmed, and even then there is a special list of models they allow. As for your second question, I found you can use a pencil on every exam and assignment, but sometimes they tell you up front that if you use a pencil and not a pen, then if you have any complaints after you get your exam or assignment back, they won't hear it. So you can use a pencil, but you thereby effectively waive certain rights you would otherwise have. Again, this is something that depends upon the school, and there's no sense in worrying about it at this point.

Ryker said:
I'm going to address these two questions, I guess. As far as the calculator is concerned, I would wait and see what you can have and need in class. I'm pretty sure all you need is a basic scientific calculator with the usual functions, so nothing fancy, at least in your first years. However, depending on the school, there may also be a list of calculators you CAN use during exams and such. For example, my university only allows certain calculators on Physics exams, those being the ones that cannot be programmed, and even then there is a special list of models they allow. As for your second question, I found you can use a pencil on every exam and assignment, but sometimes they tell you up front that if you use a pencil and not a pen, then if you have any complaints after you get your exam or assignment back, they won't hear it. So you can use a pencil, but you thereby effectively waive certain rights you would otherwise have. Again, this is something that depends upon the school, and there's no sense in worrying about it at this point.

Thank you. Hah, when reading the reply it really was a pretty ridiculous question. You are right of course, most of these things will fall into place very fast.

If I have a grounding in algebra, trig, geometry, pre-calc and high school calculus / physics, should I be stressing over Physics I, II, III & Calc I?

EDIT: Even more basic, will I be able to declare a Physics major with that backround?

_Tully said:
If I have a grounding in algebra, trig, geometry, pre-calc and high school calculus / physics, should I be stressing over Physics I, II, III & Calc I?

EDIT: Even more basic, will I be able to declare a Physics major with that backround?

If you are fine with high school calculus you are set. In general, though, your background doesn't limit what you can major in, as you can always take courses to get up to speed in whatever area.

TI 83 is fine. Everyone in my classes is using it.
I usually use Wolfram Alpha for quick graphing needs.

I am not a veteran but my students have included veterans. My conclusion is that you are the best possible candidate for a degree. You have intelligence and commitment to a degree unheard of in the usual career path. Hang in there. After what you have done, school is a relative "piece of cake", but it requires persistence, which you have in spades. Be ready for the difficulty of "coming back", but it won't take you as long as you think.

I'm a veteran, Marine Corps as well (0311); I'm at UCLA right now, studying math. I don't think you should be worried at all; the highest math I had was Algebra II, and I had no problem. Like you, I studied the "For Dummies" series to catch up, and went straight into calculus.

The TI-89 is useful for more advanced work. Are you going for physics at Suffolk? I didn't know they had something like that I thought they mostly focused on business and law school and stuff.(What I call "jobby" jobs).

You might want to look at UMass I started out at UMB, which kind of sucks, but am now transferring to Amherst which has a pretty awesome department.

Hey guys, thanks for the encouraging responses! Good to hear from both a veteran and a teacher-of-veterans.

Iubuntu: Yep, Suffolk has Physics. I am going in as a Physics major with a concentration on Astrophysics. They take summer research trips to an observatory in Madrid, which seems great.

Ill look at other schools for a future transfer, in case that's what I end up doing. For now though, I'm just keeping my nose to the grindstone and concentrating on building a solid foundation.

Concerning self-appraisal, I suggest Schaum's outlines. They have brief (very brief) summaries of formulas, then lots of problems with the answers worked out.

My experience is also very positive with veterans: they can focus on the task in front of them in a way that students with less maturity find difficult. In particular, they are not afraid to ask for help as soon as they need it - which would be my advice to you: at the first sign of trouble get help. Don't wait until you fall way behind.

As far as pens, in civilian world, they have all sorts of colors. :smile: Almost makes up for the fact that they all seem to talk funny. They seem to have a different word for just about everything. What helped me was to recognize that paper was cheap, and that I didn't have to hand in my rough scribblings in problem sets. By copying them again, it was easier for the grader to figure out what I had in mind, and sometimes I caught a mistake or two.

As for a calculator, some people go with the most power they can find in their hands: a TI-89 or similar. I prefer a straight scientific calculator, like a TI-30, and if I need more, I go with a computer.

Vanadium 50 said:
My experience is also very positive with veterans: they can focus on the task in front of them in a way that students with less maturity find difficult. In particular, they are not afraid to ask for help as soon as they need it - which would be my advice to you: at the first sign of trouble get help. Don't wait until you fall way behind.

As far as pens, in civilian world, they have all sorts of colors. :smile: Almost makes up for the fact that they all seem to talk funny. They seem to have a different word for just about everything. What helped me was to recognize that paper was cheap, and that I didn't have to hand in my rough scribblings in problem sets. By copying them again, it was easier for the grader to figure out what I had in mind, and sometimes I caught a mistake or two.

As for a calculator, some people go with the most power they can find in their hands: a TI-89 or similar. I prefer a straight scientific calculator, like a TI-30, and if I need more, I go with a computer.

Hey that is funny that you mention the 'asking for help' thing. That is a huge topic amongst my friends and I. We all were quite stubborn before the Corps, not asking for help when needed, not seeking tutoring, not re-reading/studying extra for who-knows-what-reason. It all stemmed from ego I believe, or a need to 'prove' something to myself.Now, I feel like that was by far my largest pitfall and one that I plan on completely reversing. I already have begun to. I know my weaknesses and to ignore them is not only ignorant, but dangerous.

(Pardon any typos/spelling errors, I'm posting via phone.)

Hey all! I haven't been around much, but that is changing now! I'm settling down back at home here in Boston, our of the Marine Corps, and start school on Tuesday!

So, I am very excited! Starting the next part of my life. Expect lots of questions from me, hah!

Right now I am taking mostly general courses, to get them out of the way, so come Fall semester I can just concentrate on my major (for the most part).

That sounds amazing, I hope you enjoy it! May I ask what you're majoring in?

Kevin_Axion said:
That sounds amazing, I hope you enjoy it! May I ask what you're majoring in?

It is beyond amazing, every day is better than the last!

As for my major, Physics with a concentration in Astrophysics.

I'm so excited for you, and also jealous :). I'm in grade 11 so I still have some time left.

Kevin_Axion said:
I'm so excited for you, and also jealous :). I'm in grade 11 so I still have some time left.

Shorter than you think! From graduating high-school, to my first day as a Freshman in college, has taken me 7 years, hah! Enjoy your time in High-School, and everywhere else you may go. Be excited for college, that's normal, but don't let it get in the way of enjoying every day you have.

Thanks, good luck on Tuesday and hopefully we can talk more frequently on these forums, now time for sleep. I forgot one thing, I'm not American but I'll say as an ally, we're thankful for your service, it means a lot to everybody, even in Canada.

1. What challenges do Marine Corps Veterans face when returning to school?

Marine Corps Veterans may face challenges such as readjusting to civilian life, navigating the academic environment, and managing time and workload.

2. Are there resources available specifically for Marine Corps Veterans returning to school?

Yes, there are resources such as the Veterans Affairs (VA) education benefits, counseling services, and support groups that are available to assist Marine Corps Veterans in their transition back to school.

3. How can Marine Corps Veterans use their military experience to their advantage in the classroom?

Marine Corps Veterans can use their leadership skills, discipline, and problem-solving abilities to excel academically. They can also bring a unique perspective to discussions and projects.

4. Are there any programs or initiatives that cater to Marine Corps Veterans in higher education?

Yes, there are programs such as the Marine Corps University and the Marine Corps Veteran Education and Career Transition Program that provide educational opportunities and support for Marine Corps Veterans.

5. How can universities and colleges better support Marine Corps Veterans in their academic pursuits?

Universities and colleges can offer resources and services specifically for Marine Corps Veterans, such as counseling, academic advising, and career placement assistance. They can also create a welcoming and understanding environment for these students.