Advice for succeeding in graduate school?

In summary: When I started taking my core courses this term, I found it much harder than before to get through the material. I understand the examples and lectures, but when it comes time to do the problems, I just can't seem to do it. This problem has been happening for a while, and I've been told by my professors that it is a common issue for physics students, but I didn't know how to deal with it. 1) The inability to work the exercises is a result of not being able to understand the content. 1) The inability to work the exercises is a result of not being able to understand the content.
BDT
I am a first year graduate student in physics, a subject I am quite passionate in, but I am struggling to succeed this term. There is a few issues I've been dealing with. First, I haven't been able to get as good as grasp on the content as I was able to in the past. I'm taking three core courses this term, and they have all been kicking my ass. E&M in particular has been rough, as I feel I understand the lectures and examples shown by instructor, but once I get to working through problems I just can't seem to do it. I've been told repeatedly that you don't really know how to study and learn physics until you get to grad school, but I got here and didn't learn how to study more effectively. I utilize my professor when I need help, but I'm worried that I will fail once I hit the finals and can't ask for help. Is there any advice that anyone can give on how to study more effectively and be able to handle the harder problems presented in graduate textbooks?

Second, I can't seem to keep my focus as well during class. Maybe it is the online structure or the fact that I haven't had access to SSRI's in a hot minute, but its harder for me to focus on these classes for hours that I have them each day. Is there anything you have tried to keep focus on these courses?

Any advice or habits that I could use to help me succeed would be helpful, I really don't want to fail out of this program.

Physics news on Phys.org
E&M statics or dynamics?

one thing that helped me in grad statics was realizing that the Green’s function approach to solving potentials is merely the method of images but integrated. At least that’s the way I see it, others may disagree.

BDT said:
Maybe it is the online structure or the fact that I haven't had access to SSRI's in a hot minute,
SSRI's are what I think they are and you are not telling us everything?

BDT said:
Second, I can't seem to keep my focus as well during class. Maybe it is the online structure or the fact that I haven't had access to SSRI's in a hot minute, but its harder for me to focus on these classes for hours that I have them each day. Is there anything you have tried to keep focus on these courses?
I used to write them down parallel to what I heard and saw on the board, and worked them out afterwards, i.e. wrote them a second time in a way, that I could read them like a personal textbook with all questions answered. But this is a personal thing: I can memorize a subject far better if I had to write it.

Here is an article about how to write a proof, but I assume it is basically the same if it is e.g. a circuit to be analyzed, or a force problem to be solved:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/how-most-proofs-are-structured-and-how-to-write-them/
The core idea is: follow a step by step method, an algorithm if you like. This comes in quite natural, as those problems have all a given description, the start, and a final conclusion, the finish line. It's the way in between that has to be found.

If you feel you need medication, perhaps you should seek medication from a reliably knowledgeable source?

Likes Vanadium 50
One key to my own success in grad school was not taking more than two core courses at once.

Another key to my own success was re-taking undergrad courses in E&M, Stat Mech, QM, and Classical Mechanics before attempting grad courses. That's right, I didn't take any grad courses at all my first year, other than research.

Finally, I minimized distractions to optimize study time. I took great care picking locations and times where I could apply a very high level of focus.

Likes PhDeezNutz and fresh_42
(1) If you require prescription medication to succeed, you should get a prescription.

(2) You have listed two problems: an inability to work the exercises, and an inability to focus in class. Which do you think is the cause and which the effect?

Likes hutchphd and PhDeezNutz
Vanadium 50 said:
(1) If you require prescription medication to succeed, you should get a prescription.

(2) You have listed two problems: an inability to work the exercises, and an inability to focus in class. Which do you think is the cause and which the effect?

2) is a very important point that cannot be stressed enough.

1. What is the most important advice for succeeding in graduate school?

The most important advice for succeeding in graduate school is to prioritize your time and stay organized. Graduate school can be overwhelming with coursework, research, and other responsibilities, so it is crucial to plan and manage your time effectively.

2. How can I maintain a work-life balance while in graduate school?

Maintaining a work-life balance in graduate school can be challenging, but it is essential for your mental and physical well-being. Make sure to schedule breaks and time for self-care, and try to separate your work and personal life as much as possible.

3. What are some tips for managing stress in graduate school?

Graduate school can be stressful, but there are several ways to manage it. Some tips include setting realistic goals, seeking support from peers and mentors, and practicing self-care activities such as exercise, meditation, and hobbies.

4. How important is networking in graduate school?

Networking is crucial in graduate school as it can open up opportunities for collaborations, job prospects, and professional development. Attend conferences, join organizations, and build relationships with your peers and professors to expand your network.

5. How can I make the most out of my graduate school experience?

To make the most out of your graduate school experience, it is essential to take advantage of all the resources available to you. This includes attending seminars and workshops, participating in research projects, and seeking mentorship from professors. Additionally, make sure to network and build relationships with your peers and faculty members.