Marking an A Level Paper: Method vs Answer

In summary, the student has not shown any method but has indicated only the answer i.e ##(0,0)## which is correct, how to handle this? based on my previous experience of marking A level papers for an [International Examining body], I was advised that one cannot get Answer mark correct if the given Method is not correct or is not shown.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
This is a question from my own paper;
This is the second part of the question that i am marking...the first part was on finding the stationary points.

Determine the co ordinates of the maximum point of the graph amended to ;Determine which stationary point is a maximum. Giving reasons for your answer.

##y=x^4-4x^2##
Relevant Equations
differentiation
I am marking this now...just need your insight...the second part has [2] marks. I am giving [1] mark for the correct method...i expect use of second derivative test or otherwise for Method Mark...then the correct answer ##(0,0)## would realize the Answer mark.
The student has not shown any method but has indicated only the answer i.e ##(0,0)## which is correct, how to handle this? based on my previous experience of marking A level papers for an [International Examining body] ...i was advised that one cannot get Answer mark correct if the given Method is not correct or is not shown. Cheers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would have specified local maximum in the question.

Likes SammyS
Orodruin said:
I would have specified local maximum in the question.
Especially since the given function has no absolute maximum.

Likes chwala
Agreed but i guess it depends on which particular curriculum you are teaching.

chwala said:
Not really. That the function has no global maximum is a mathematical fact.

Likes chwala
chwala said:
I agree with @Orodruin on this. The curriculum doesn't matter at all here with this question:
Determine the co ordinates of the maximum point of the graph ;

Unless you specify a restricted domain for the given function, the function has no maximum value.

Orodruin said:
Not really. That the function has no global maximum is a mathematical fact.
Mark44 said:
I agree with @Orodruin on this. The curriculum doesn't matter at all here with this question:Unless you specify a restricted domain for the given function, the function has no maximum value.
Agreed!

Let me type the second question in full. I am amending the original post.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between method and answer in marking an A Level paper?

Method refers to the process or steps used to arrive at an answer, while answer is the final result or solution to a problem or question. In marking an A Level paper, both the method and answer are important and are evaluated separately.

2. How are marks allocated for method and answer in an A Level paper?

Marks for method and answer are typically allocated separately in an A Level paper. The marks for method are usually based on the logical and coherent steps used to solve a problem, while the marks for answer are based on the accuracy and completeness of the final solution.

3. Is method or answer more important in marking an A Level paper?

Both method and answer are equally important in marking an A Level paper. A clear and logical method shows the student's understanding of the concepts and their ability to apply them, while a correct answer demonstrates their knowledge and understanding of the subject matter.

4. Can a student receive full marks for method even if their answer is incorrect?

It is possible for a student to receive full marks for method even if their answer is incorrect. This is because the method used may demonstrate a good understanding of the concepts and logical reasoning, but there may have been a mistake in the calculation or application of the method.

5. How do examiners ensure consistency in marking for method and answer?

Examiners use detailed marking schemes and rubrics to ensure consistency in marking for method and answer. These guidelines provide specific criteria for awarding marks for both method and answer, and are used by all examiners to ensure fairness and consistency in the marking process.