Markov Chain Steady State (?were am i going wrong?)

If you have a reference that uses column-sums equal to 1, you can still use it by just transposing their matrix to get the row-sums = 1 convention.
Tamis

Homework Statement

Subpart of the question requires me to find the steady state of the transition matrix:
[itex]P=\begin{bmatrix}
0.1 & 0.7 & 0.2 \\
0.1 & 0.8 & 0.1\\
0.3 & 0.1 & 0.6
\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

Homework Equations

We thus need to find vector [itex]\boldsymbol{v}[/itex] in the equation [itex]P\boldsymbol{v}=\boldsymbol{v}[/itex] under the constraint [itex]sum(\boldsymbol{v})=1[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically a system of linear equations with the added constraint:
[itex]\begin{matrix}
-0.9x_1 &+& 0.7x_2 &+& 0.2x_3 & = 0 \\
0.1x_1 &+& -0.2x_2 &+& 0.1x_3 & = 0 \\
0.3x_1 &+& 0.1x_2 &+& -0.4x_3 & = 0 \\
x_1 &+& x_2 &+& x_3 & = 1
\end{matrix}[/itex]

I put this in matrix form:
[itex]\begin{bmatrix}
-0.9 & 0.7 & 0.2 & | 0\\
0.1 & -0.2 & 0.1 & | 0\\
0.3 & 0.1 & -0.4 & | 0\\
1 & 1 & 1 & | 1
\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

and solve:
[itex]\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 & | \frac{1}{3}\\
0 & 1 & 0 & | \frac{1}{3}\\
0 & 0 & 0 & | 0\\
0 & 0 & 1 & | \frac{1}{3}
\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

However this is wrong as the answer states:
[itex]\boldsymbol{v}=\begin{bmatrix}
0.1+0.2\frac{3}{16} \\
0.9-1.2\frac{3}{16} \\
\frac{3}{16} \\
\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

Can anyone tell me were i am going wrong? Not entirely sure how to find the steady state of a markov chain. The only examples i can find are examples of steady states in 2x2 transition matrices.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tamis said:

Homework Statement

Subpart of the question requires me to find the steady state of the transition matrix:
[itex]P=\begin{bmatrix}
0.1 & 0.7 & 0.2 \\
0.1 & 0.8 & 0.1\\
0.3 & 0.1 & 0.6
\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

Homework Equations

We thus need to find vector [itex]\boldsymbol{v}[/itex] in the equation [itex]P\boldsymbol{v}=\boldsymbol{v}[/itex] under the constraint [itex]sum(\boldsymbol{v})=1[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically a system of linear equations with the added constraint:
[itex]\begin{matrix}
-0.9x_1 &+& 0.7x_2 &+& 0.2x_3 & = 0 \\
0.1x_1 &+& -0.2x_2 &+& 0.1x_3 & = 0 \\
0.3x_1 &+& 0.1x_2 &+& -0.4x_3 & = 0 \\
x_1 &+& x_2 &+& x_3 & = 1
\end{matrix}[/itex]

I put this in matrix form:
[itex]\begin{bmatrix}
-0.9 & 0.7 & 0.2 & | 0\\
0.1 & -0.2 & 0.1 & | 0\\
0.3 & 0.1 & -0.4 & | 0\\
1 & 1 & 1 & | 1
\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

and solve:
[itex]\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 & | \frac{1}{3}\\
0 & 1 & 0 & | \frac{1}{3}\\
0 & 0 & 0 & | 0\\
0 & 0 & 1 & | \frac{1}{3}
\end{bmatrix}[/itex]

However this is wrong as the answer states:
[itex]\boldsymbol{v}=\begin{bmatrix}
0.1+0.2\frac{3}{16} \\
0.9-1.2\frac{3}{16} \\
\frac{3}{16} \\
\end{bmatrix}[/itex]Can anyone tell me were i am going wrong? Not entirely sure how to find the steady state of a markov chain. The only examples i can find are examples of steady states in 2x2 transition matrices.

You need to solve πP = π for a row vector π, not Pv = v for a column vector v. Also, you should leave out one of the three equations in π = πP and replace it by sum(π) = 1.

Note that *some* sources use transition matrices where the columns sum to 1 instead of the rows; that is, their transition matrices are transposes of yours. In those cases it is, indeed, true that you would need to solve Tv = v, where T is the transition matrix (with column-sums = 1). Every textbook or research monograph I have ever seen about probability and its applications, or about Operations Research, etc., uses the convention that rows sum to 1. For some mysterious reason, many web pages use the other convention, and that can be dangerous if you do not check before using their results. Of course, there are hundreds of books I have not seen, and some of them may use the column-sum = 1 convention; I think it is more common in Asia.

Last edited:
Thnx for the reply! I wasn't aware of this row vector convention, seems rather strange to me. Now i just transpose the transition matrix and use the 'normal method'.

Tamis said:
Thnx for the reply! I wasn't aware of this row vector convention, seems rather strange to me. Now i just transpose the transition matrix and use the 'normal method'.

What I wrote is not a 'vector convention'. The steady-state distribution obeys some equations, and the issue is: how do you remember those equations? The easiest way is to recognize that they *can be written as* π = πP for a row vector π; but that is not the original source of the equations, it is just a memory aid.

The real issue is to always check with a reference as to whether their 'transition' matrices have row-sums or column-sums equal to 1.

What is a Markov Chain Steady State?

A Markov Chain Steady State is a concept in probability theory that describes the long-term behavior of a system. It refers to the state that a system eventually settles into after running for an infinite amount of time.

How is a Markov Chain Steady State calculated?

The Markov Chain Steady State is calculated by finding the eigenvector corresponding to the eigenvalue of 1 for the transition probability matrix of the system. This eigenvector represents the steady state probabilities for each state in the system.

What is the importance of the Markov Chain Steady State?

The Markov Chain Steady State is important because it allows us to make predictions about the long-term behavior of a system. By understanding the steady state probabilities, we can make informed decisions and optimize the performance of the system.

What factors can affect the Markov Chain Steady State?

The Markov Chain Steady State can be affected by changes in the transition probabilities, the initial state of the system, and the number of states in the system. It can also be affected by external factors such as changes in the environment or external inputs to the system.

What are some real-world applications of Markov Chain Steady State?

Markov Chain Steady State has various applications in fields such as finance, economics, biology, and computer science. It can be used to model stock prices, population dynamics, and network traffic. It is also used in natural language processing and speech recognition to predict the next word in a sentence or the next phoneme in a word.