Mars Magnetosphere: New Research on Solar Wind Induced Shielding

In summary: Can you please provide a link to the Swedish PhD study you are referring to? I'm curious to read it myself.In summary, according to recent research news, swedish PhD scholars have said that solar wind induces currents in the ionosphere of mars. This causes an induced magnetoshere which in turn protects the atmosphere from the same wind. This is quite difficult to believe. It is well known that Mars does not really have a magnetosphere.
vin300
According to recent research news, swedish PhD scholars have said that solar wind induces currents in the ionosphere of mars. This causes an induced magnetoshere which in turn protects the atmosphere from the same wind. This is quite difficult to believe. It is well known that Mars does not really have a magnetosphere.
What extra conditions must be satisfied so that a rotating core can induce magnetic shielding around a planet?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It would help if you give a link to the said research.

Likes davenn
vin300 said:
According to recent research news, swedish PhD scholars have said that solar wind induces currents in the ionosphere of mars.

rootone said:
It would help if you give a link to the said research.

agreed

and I doubt this thread should have been an A tag

davenn said:
... and I doubt this thread should have been an A tag
I set it on "I". However, without a proper source and the knowledge of the calculations done by this unnamed Swedish physicist, it is really hard to tell. How do I know what I want to say before I hear what I've said?

Likes davenn
vin300 said:
According to recent research news, swedish PhD scholars have said that solar wind induces currents in the ionosphere of mars. This causes an induced magnetoshere which in turn protects the atmosphere from the same wind. This is quite difficult to believe. It is well known that Mars does not really have a magnetosphere.
What extra conditions must be satisfied so that a rotating core can induce magnetic shielding around a planet?
OK, you seem not to have read/understood the text correctly
It didn't say that Mars has a natural magnetic field as Earth does and this is what you are implying. It has Solar Wind INDUCED fields.

so there is nothing "difficult to believe" as you stated, there is no contradiction

Dave

I meant that the ability of solar wind induced fields to have the effect of the same magnitude as that of entire rotating core is what is indigestible

vin300 said:
I meant that the ability of solar wind induced fields to have the effect of the same magnitude as that of entire rotating core is what is indigestible

and where does it state that ?

it doesn't !

I know nothing about this solar wind maybe inducing magnetic field on Mars.
But to (trying) respond to the last part of your question: Is it possible (theory and faisable?) to set a metallic magnet on one of the moon of Mars and by the simultaneous rotations to create a dynamo effect, then a magnetic field (to protect the atmosphere)?

Welcome to PF :smile:

Beaugeard F said:
Is it possible (theory and faisable?) to set a metallic magnet on one of the moon of Mars and by the simultaneous rotations to create a dynamo effect, then a magnetic field (to protect the atmosphere)?
I'm not sure how you expected that to work ?
a magnet on one of the moons isn't going to do anything useful for Mars

And also one on Mars.
The rotation acting as a dynamo to "activate" in a larger scale what is left of Mars magnetic field...

• Skeptical
Likes davenn
Rotating a magnet doesn't create a stronger field than the same magnet without rotation. It can create a field that varies with time (if the magnet doesn't rotate around its symmetry axis) but I don't see how this would be useful here.
In general permanent magnets won't lead to any relevant planet-wide magnetic field, they are just too weak and don't scale well.

The Planet rotation.

Beaugeard F said:
The Planet rotation.
NO

Mars no longer has a global magnetic field ... large or weak. It only has "pockets" of magnetism here and there. This is because the core of Mars is solid. It can no longer create a magnetic field.

Magnetic fields on Mars are localised and crustal
from Wiki ...

PIA02819_mag.jpg
Dave

1. What is the Mars magnetosphere and why is it important?

The Mars magnetosphere is a region of space around the planet Mars that is influenced by its magnetic field. It serves as a protective shield against the solar wind, a stream of charged particles from the Sun. Understanding the Mars magnetosphere is important because it affects the planet's atmosphere, surface features, and potential for habitability.

2. How does the solar wind affect the Mars magnetosphere?

The solar wind is a constant stream of charged particles, primarily protons and electrons, that interact with the magnetic field of Mars. This interaction can cause changes in the shape and strength of the magnetosphere, and also generate auroras in the planet's atmosphere.

3. What new research has been done on the solar wind induced shielding in the Mars magnetosphere?

Recent studies have focused on the effects of the solar wind on the Mars magnetosphere at different points in the planet's orbit around the Sun. This research has revealed that the magnetosphere is not a static shield, but rather changes in response to the varying solar wind conditions.

4. How does the Mars magnetosphere compare to Earth's magnetosphere?

The Mars magnetosphere is much weaker than Earth's, with a magnetic field only about 1% as strong. This means that Mars is more susceptible to the effects of the solar wind, leading to a more dynamic and variable magnetosphere. Additionally, Earth's magnetosphere is more stable due to the presence of a strong internal magnetic field from its iron core.

5. What implications does the research on Mars magnetosphere have for potential future human missions to the planet?

Studying the Mars magnetosphere is crucial for understanding the potential risks and challenges that human missions to the planet may face. The dynamic nature of the magnetosphere could affect spacecraft and human health, and the presence of auroras could impact communication and navigation systems. By better understanding the Mars magnetosphere, we can develop strategies to mitigate these risks and ensure the success of future missions.