Mass: Accretion Disk vs. Black Hole

In summary, according to the person I spoke to, the mass of a black hole and its accretion disk is not tightly related and the singularity is not necessarily more massive than the disk.
EskWIRED
I asked a question recently about orbiting black holes. Thanks for the answers.

So if I'm correct in my thinking, long before the event horizons of orbiting black holes become close to each other, the two accretion disks get mightily disrupted and much of the mass of the two disks would fall into the two black holes.

Which got me thinking: What is the relative mass of a black hole singularity and its accretion disk? Is the singularity extremely more massive than the disk?Edits:

I seem to be making some basic assumptions here, and I don't know if they are true.

I seem to assume that there is some sort of mean proportion between black holes and their accretion disks. Is that true? Or is the mass of the disk only loosely related to the mass of the singularity?

I'm also assuming that the limits and the demarcation of the accretion disk is well defined. Is this true? One could consider an entire galaxy to be the accretion disk of a supermassive black hole if one were to define it that way - but I assume that there exists a more precise and constrained definition?

I'm also assuming that the respective masses can be well estimated. Is that true? Or does dark matter mess up any attempts at estimating the mass of the singularity and the disk?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
The mass of the accretion disk is dependant on the amount of matter that is available to make it up. I'm pretty sure it has to be some minimal amount, else you don't get the atomic collisions that cause it in the first place. In any case, I think it has to be trivial in mass compared to the BH.

The event horizon is much larger than the singularity, which is conventionally thought of as being of zero volume. Depending on how quantum effects are taken into account, it is believed it will be found the singularity has a non-zero volume.

Chronos said:
The event horizon is much larger than the singularity, which is conventionally thought of as being of zero volume. Depending on how quantum effects are taken into account, it is believed it will be found the singularity has a non-zero volume.

I wasn't really wondering about the size, but rather, the mass of the accretion disk compared to the mass of the singularity.

Is it really true that supermassive black holes are significantly more massive than the rest of the galaxies which surround them, as was suggested above?

EskWIRED said:
Is it really true that super-massive black holes are significantly more massive than the rest of the galaxies which surround them, as was suggested above?

No, even the largest super-massive black holes are on the order of billions of solar masses, but galaxies have hundreds of billions of star in them, and many are bigger than our sun so a typical super-massive black holes will be a very small fraction of the mass of the galaxy it's in.

Also, it would not be correct to say that an entire galaxy is the accretion disk for a super massive black hole. Beyond a certain distance, orbits are stable and objects that far and farther away from the black hole will not spiral into it and so cannot be thought of as part of the accretion disk. That distance is a tiny fraction of the radius of a galaxy.

EskWIRED said:
I wasn't really wondering about the size, but rather, the mass of the accretion disk compared to the mass of the singularity.

Is it really true that supermassive black holes are significantly more massive than the rest of the galaxies which surround them, as was suggested above?

No. Even the largest supermassive black hole is not nearly as massive as its host galaxy. The accretion disk is merely a skid mark of material that survives black hole feedings. It is far less massive than the black hole.

phinds said:
Also, it would not be correct to say that an entire galaxy is the accretion disk for a super massive black hole. Beyond a certain distance, orbits are stable and objects that far and farther away from the black hole will not spiral into it and so cannot be thought of as part of the accretion disk. That distance is a tiny fraction of the radius of a galaxy.

Over extremely long time scales won't gravitational radiation eventually cause all orbits to decay? Or will galaxies meet some other demise before that happens?

mrspeedybob said:
Over extremely long time scales won't gravitational radiation eventually cause all orbits to decay? Or will galaxies meet some other demise before that happens?

I don't know about gravitational decay. I am now aware that it should happen in galaxies, but I'm not really the right person to ask.

Over long enough periods of time, all the stars in a galaxy will go out no matter how late in the life of the galaxy they are formed, so you can say that the galaxy will have died, in a very real sense but that doesn't mean all the matter will be in a black hole in what was once the center of the galaxy.

1. What is an accretion disk?

An accretion disk is a disk-shaped structure of gas and dust that forms around a central object, such as a black hole, due to the object's gravitational pull. The gas and dust in the disk are gradually pulled towards the central object, causing it to grow in mass.

2. How does an accretion disk differ from a black hole?

An accretion disk is a structure of matter that surrounds a black hole, while a black hole is a region in space with such strong gravitational pull that not even light can escape from it. The accretion disk is made up of matter that is still visible, while a black hole is invisible due to its extreme gravitational pull.

3. What is the role of an accretion disk in the formation of a black hole?

An accretion disk is formed when matter is pulled towards a central object, such as a black hole. As the matter in the disk gets closer to the black hole, it gains energy and begins to orbit at higher speeds. This process increases the mass and angular momentum of the black hole, allowing it to grow in size and strength.

4. Can accretion disks exist without a black hole?

Yes, accretion disks can exist without a black hole. They can form around other types of objects with strong gravitational pulls, such as neutron stars or white dwarfs. However, black holes are the most common objects with accretion disks due to their extreme gravitational pull.

5. How do scientists study accretion disks and black holes?

Scientists study accretion disks and black holes using a variety of tools and techniques, such as telescopes, X-ray detectors, and computer simulations. By observing the behavior of matter in and around these objects, scientists can learn more about their properties and better understand the processes that govern their formation and evolution.